IGNORED

Joe Pera Talks with You

LeighCb

Recently I very much enjoyed watching Joe Pera Talks With You.

I think the character has been around for a while (as a stand-up) and the series recently on All 4/Adult Swim is wonderful as well. 

It is beautifully shot and is the nicest, funniest thing I have seen in a long while. There are ten, ten minute episodes and a Christmas special. Has anyone else been watching it? 

It will make you feel good in these trying times. 

"I think breakfast rocks, dude".

Went through the first series twice in a weekend with my housemates and we've been watching the second series. Very balm. And it doesn't have any of the same cynicism or dark feeling that most overly cheerful AS stuff has.

The fall drive is so calming.

I hadn't seen the animated version, it's very good as well. So many great lines. 

I think I'll wait until season 2 has finished before I watch it. The episodes are really densely written, I think they will stand up to multiple viewings. 

• 4 weeks later...

It’s beautiful. I get incredibly emotional watching the pumpkin liberation episode for reasons I can’t quite put my finger on.

The same with the church notices / The Who episode which is incredibly funny at first viewing and then on repeat watches reduced me to a complete mess at his unbridled enthusiasm. Then it’s topped off with him attempting to drive away in the snow, which gets me every single time. I think it might be the perfect episode of television. 

The whole thing is the most original and endearing show I’ve seen in many years. 

22 hours ago, deKay said:

Is it available in the UK yet?

No, but you can watch it on Adultswim.com if you can get around their region locking or via other nefarious means. 

I'm not sure why they make most of their library so difficult to watch. 

I watched through Season 2 over the past couple of nights. Hoo boy, what a television show.

It shouldn't have surprised me given how much I adored the original run, but they totally knocked it out of the park. If you're waiting on watching it you're in for a real treat.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I watched the first episode of this and it raised a few smiles and a slight chuckle or two but that’s pretty much it. It’s a bit like Napoleon Dynamite but not as funny. 

Does it improve?

No, but *you* do.

10 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I watched the first episode of this and it raised a few smiles and a slight chuckle or two but that’s pretty much it. It’s a bit like Napoleon Dynamite but not as funny. 

Does it improve?

It doesn't so much improve as reveal itself. The thing you think it's doing at the start, that's not the thing it's doing. I'd say give it at least three episodes, that's the point where it really clicked for me. And given that each episode is only around 10 or 11 minutes long it's still roughly as long as one regular BBC sitcom. Episode 3 also has one of the most extraordinarily subtle pieces of storytelling I've seen on tv.

My girlfriend hated the first episode but was fully on board by that point.

And it's nothing like Napoleon Dynamite.

43 minutes ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

Episode 3 also has one of the most extraordinarily subtle pieces of storytelling I've seen on tv.

Absolutely. The church readings episode (rightly) gets lots of plaudits but the fall drive is just incredible. I am obsessed with that 10 minutes of TV.

• 1 year later...