IGNORED

Joe Pera Talks with You

LeighCb

I'm rewatching this at the moment and got to the episode in season 2 in which he goes to the Beauty Parlour with his Grandmother. There's a bit where he talks about how when he was a kid he'd sing a song for his Nan and her friends and they'd give him quarters for the M&Ms machine. They ask him to do it as an adult and the VO says something like "I don't need to do it any more... I have my own quarters."

I think it's the best argument against Microsoft Rewards I've ever seen and will be bringing this up whenever someone mentions it. I don't need to do twenty bing searches a day or play games I don't like. I can buy my own damn M&Ms. 

That's why the show's so damn good. It just makes these little points about banal life that make you smile and can apply to a million different things. It seems like he's just talking about fairly shallow things like going for a walk or enjoying fish and chips but it can be really deep in so many different ways to so many different people. I realise Microsoft Rewards isn't that deep but hopefully you get what I'm saying. 

It's absolutely ace, basically.  

24 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I think it's the best argument against Microsoft Rewards I've ever seen and will be bringing this up whenever someone mentions it. I don't need to do twenty bing searches a day or play games I don't like. I can buy my own damn M&Ms. 

I get annoyed every time the Microsoft Rewards thread goes up the page. People spending hours of their time for Microsoft credit at a rate far less than minimum pay. The worst is people playing games they hate for gamerscore and pennies. I know it's up to people what they do with their time but surely there was a point, long surpassed, where time becomes more important than that shit.

2 hours ago, Timmo said:

I get annoyed every time the Microsoft Rewards thread goes up the page. People spending hours of their time for Microsoft credit at a rate far less than minimum pay. The worst is people playing games they hate for gamerscore and pennies. I know it's up to people what they do with their time but surely there was a point, long surpassed, where time becomes more important than that shit.

I saw an argument that Microsoft should bring Xbox Cloud to the consoles so they can open a game for the Rewards points without needing to download it.

😖

EDIT: Love Joe Pera though. Still need to watch season 2 actually.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanted to bump this as I recently watched through both the seasons that are on All 4 and it was wonderful. Genuinely funny but also extremely sweet and thoughtful. I can't think of another show that navigates comedy and heart so skillfully. The end of season 1 had me in pieces, as did the big event in season 2. A real tonic at this time of year and just what I needed.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Only half way through season 3 and struggling to keep any interest. I can see why they felt they need to expand it beyond Joe but I don't like any of the cast they've added beyond to ones they had more or less from the start. The tone of the show and heart seem missing, which made the earlier ones so good.  Did anyone else watch season 3? Maybe I'm just not in the right mood.

Yeah I watched it all and loved it. It’s just lovely feel-good TV, and every so often there’s a line that just cracks me up, such as:

Spoiler

“There weren’t even that many school shootings this year”

Also, I can’t believe it took me till the 3rd season to twig that his prepper girlfriend with the basement of tinned food and guns is called Sarah Connor. 

• 3 months later...

Pretty bummed out by this. Imagine being the person who decided to cancel this show!

It genuinely got me through lockdown, changed how I think and made me a better person.

Nice article on Polygon here-

Hopefully some live dates to look forward to soon. 

https://joepera.com/jptwy/

• 2 weeks later...