rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
carleton

What’s a good game for a C64 remake/demake?

I’ve really enjoyed making versions of Pitman and Picross for the C64. Does anybody have any ideas of a suitable game which would stand up to a C64 version?

Death Stranding.

No wait! Hear me out! The two obvious draws of the game, those amazing cut scenes and the 3D hiking could not be done in any way shape or form on the C64.

However the core loop from Chapter 3 onwards is doable. A strategy / trading game involving trading between Bridges bases, bunkers and building infrastructure in between. Essentially working the game the same way the game works using bot deliveries (and moves around and balances resources using independent porters.)

This could be as stripped back to being a completely text based game or it could be played out Seven Cities of Gold / Heart of Africa style. Have Sam Porter as your avatar for making reliable deliveries / building resources / raiding mule camps and throw in a few SID renditions of Low Roar tracks and you're done!

• Upvote 1

The pico 8 version of celeste or something heavily inspired by it.

Something like downwell (falling downwards while shooting/landing on platforms/enemies..)

• Upvote 3

I always enjoyed the early Activision games on the C64, especially the ones converted from the Atari 2600 like Pitfall River Raid and HERO. But there were some still missing, thankfully there’s been a few conversions recently like Frostbite and Keystone Kapers (which are great), but I’ve always thought it was a shame that Enduro never made it to the C64. So I’d love to see Enduro!

The semi sequel “The Great American Cross Country Road Race” was on the C64, but I’ve always wanted to see the original, but with nice beefy SID sound! I don’t know if you could re-use some of the assets from GACCRR... (although the controls weren’t great on that game.. )

Another Atari 2600 game that I’d love to see on the C64 is the original Star Raiders. The sequel (although it wasn’t a true sequel) did make it to the C64 but the original never did. It would be fantastic to see Atari’s killer app finally on the C64 - plus the keyboard would mean it would be easier to replicate the key input from the Atari version!

(oh and there is a true sequel to Star Raiders on the Atari, it was eventually found in 2015 so that could be another project if you did Star Raiders! It’s quite smart what they were achieving with the 2600, including sections where you could land on planets where it turned into a Rescue on Fractalus style game)

• Upvote 2

Just remembered a couple other games that would be good...

Rebelstar 1 or 2 by Julian Gollop never got a C64 conversion, despite the semi-sequel Laser Squad getting a C64 release. I think the assets are fairly easy to extract from the Spectrum version (or if you could get the Laser Squad assets, I guess you could use them!)

Rebelstar 2 was in the process of being converted, but was canned for some unknown reason.

https://www.gamesthatwerent.com/gtw64/rebel-star/

There’s even a scan of the advertised cover for Rebelstar on that site. If you could also make a map editor, the levels could be endless! 

The other game would be Chaos, again by Julian Glossop. The sequel, Lords of Chaos, was released on the C64 but the original never was. 

• Upvote 3

Lumines with a banging chiptune soundtrack would be awesome, and (assuming you have talented musicians to work with) achievable.

• Upvote 2

On 04/01/2020 at 09:24, gone fishin' said:

I always enjoyed the early Activision games on the C64, especially the ones converted from the Atari 2600 like Pitfall River Raid and HERO. But there were some still missing, thankfully there’s been a few conversions recently like Frostbite and Keystone Kapers (which are great), but I’ve always thought it was a shame that Enduro never made it to the C64. So I’d love to see Enduro!

The semi sequel “The Great American Cross Country Road Race” was on the C64, but I’ve always wanted to see the original, but with nice beefy SID sound! I don’t know if you could re-use some of the assets from GACCRR... (although the controls weren’t great on that game.. )

Another Atari 2600 game that I’d love to see on the C64 is the original Star Raiders. The sequel (although it wasn’t a true sequel) did make it to the C64 but the original never did. It would be fantastic to see Atari’s killer app finally on the C64 - plus the keyboard would mean it would be easier to replicate the key input from the Atari version!

(oh and there is a true sequel to Star Raiders on the Atari, it was eventually found in 2015 so that could be another project if you did Star Raiders! It’s quite smart what they were achieving with the 2600, including sections where you could land on planets where it turned into a Rescue on Fractalus style game)

Why wasn't the sequel a real sequel?

I only played SR2 on the Speccy back in the day, but have played all the versions recently due to investigating then for inclusion on Antstream. It's a great game imo. 

The released sequel was supposed to be a Last Starfighter tie-in and was re-skinned.

The 'true' sequel wasn't the work of Doug Neubauer (creator of the original) but then neither was the 2600 version.

• Upvote 2

Some great ideas here. I’ve never played Death Stranding so perhaps not. Match 2/3 games are a good shout but I’m concerned they work better with touch controls. I’m surprised there isn’t a good version of Puyo Puyo already out there.

I’m also keen on a rhythm action game. There are loads of great musicians willing to collaborate.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, beakbeak said:

Advance wars. I dare you. 

I think the AI on that alone would take 4 C64’s memory capabilities. My favourite RTS is actually Dune 2. Either lend themselves quite well to the Commodore video display though.

On 04/01/2020 at 07:11, partious said:

The pico 8 version of celeste or something heavily inspired by it.

Something like downwell (falling downwards while shooting/landing on platforms/enemies..)

I started a hardcore platform game, it plays quite well. I should perhaps continue with it.

Here’s a video:

• Upvote 1

On 04/01/2020 at 09:24, gone fishin' said:

Star Raiders was the second video game I was ever bought, purely for that controller. I think there are already great versions of the other games you mention though. Pitstop II being the prime example.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, carleton said:

Some great ideas here. I’ve never played Death Stranding so perhaps not. Match 2/3 games are a good shout but I’m concerned they work better with touch controls. I’m surprised there isn’t a good version of Puyo Puyo already out there.

I’m also keen on a rhythm action game. There are loads of great musicians willing to collaborate.

Zoo Mania (based on the DS Zookeeper) and Vegetables Deluxe show you can make a good match-3 game with joystick controls.

How about the RPG-inspired Puzzle Quest?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, merman said:

Zoo Mania (based on the DS Zookeeper) and Vegetables Deluxe show you can make a good match-3 game with joystick controls.

How about the RPG-inspired Puzzle Quest?

Do you have some good tunes for a match 3? ;)

• Upvote 1