rllmuk
bplus

Recommend games like wave race 64, 1080 snowboarding or excite bike 64

I think I've realised these are 3 of my favourite games of all time. They all have really deep control systems that have a learning curve.
Thing is Nintendo don't make games like this anymore and I'm not sure anyone else ever did. (Tony hawk and skate series are probably another examples, though I don't really like skate).

Have I missed similar games in past generations or even the current generation? Can anyone recommend me something ?

Thanks

Ps blue storm on the GameCube is good too, 1080 avalanche was complete shit.

• Upvote 1

These 3 and mariokart on the N64 are my all time favourite racing games, I have found nothing else comes close... apart from maybe Outrun 2 on Xbox or PS3.

when I cracked 1080 it was perfect, so fluid and fast.

17 minutes ago, thegreathopper said:

These 3 and mariokart on the N64 are my all time favourite racing games, I have found nothing else comes close... apart from maybe Outrun 2 on Xbox or PS3.

when I cracked 1080 it was perfect, so fluid and fast.

Actually yeah, outrun 2 sort of fits the category too, though the controls are not quite as deep. Definitely a fav of mine too. 1080 is just outstanding. I'm playing it again on retro arch, higher resolution helps with old graphics.

Had good times with motocross madness 2 on pc. Checkpoint races and stunt modes.

hydro thunder on the midway collection vol3...

Uh...

47 minutes ago, bplus said:

Actually yeah, outrun 2 sort of fits the category too, though the controls are not quite as deep. 

If you're just pootling through arcade mode, then I can understand you may feel that way. The controls definitely come into their own when you start time trialling.

Daytona USA (XB/PS3 - also BC on XB1 I believe?) and Sega Rally 1/2/3 (aka Revo) fit the bill in that regard too. You'll need a PC via emulation for all the Sega Rally games. There's a great SR1 port for PS2. SR3 / Revo can be picked up on PS3/360.

I'd also recommend Excite Truck on Wii.  Easily one of my favourite launch titles - I spent a lot of time with it when I should've been getting on with Twilight Princess. Great risk / reward gameplay. Probably the closest thing I've experienced to a 1080/WR style game once it all clicks. It got a bad rep because everyone got caught up in the whole WAGGLE LOL thing and probably didn't give it enough time before dismissing it. Eejits.

• Upvote 2

I'll raise you Amped 2. Amped 1 is great but a little unpolished and thus difficult. Amped 2, perfected things. The online mode used to be great, just going down the mountains doing tricks with 7 other randoms. Looks great, is tough but fair and is a nice chill out game with a fantastic soundtrack.

• Upvote 1

Pure on 360/PS3 has a similar feel to Excitebike. As does one of the earliest MX/ATV games on PS2, but the name escapes me.

I’d kill for a new game that is even half as magical as Wave Race 64 though. The best racing game of all time for me. 

Sled Storm on ps1 (ps2 version is probably superior but I haven't played it).

Splashdown on PS2.

In terms of satisfying controls with a bit of a learning curve, my favourites are still Outrun 2 and Daytona USA (both on manual transmission obviously).

The ocean dynamics and skeletal animation (of Waverace64) are way in advance of other games industry stuff, so probably like the codebase for Pilotwings64 it came from a professional simulator, probably used by the coast guard? Well I noticed anyhow that in order to fit to the N64 spec, it's been pre-cached much like a sprite animation system for the SNES and then put through a permutation routine (Rubix's Cube) ie.  ScenarioFactors:AnimationOutput type thing. Now it's easy to assume the professional sim is some sort of perfect far-future thing, but my Xbox 360 approaches the level of power that it seems to have originally run on, we just minaturised it too much in respect to overheating and haven't spent the needed -- since 1950's mainframe coding... that would be... 47 years needed to develop the engine/middleware/api and soforth. This is in my opinion a somewhat dark technology for many people, since more realistic robot ragdolls are something you can endlessly torture, although people with a thing for this sort of thing tend to get bored and want more, like 'Where's his internal organs? This blood on the floor doesn't coagulate properly, and his hair sets on fire too easily, please make my barbie doll more realistic thanx.'

The best game in this regard might be the original dos version of Liero https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liero set to maximum destruction (nuke it to the ground... ). Worth booting a laptop into actual DOS to get the right type of animation performance. There's also some decent flight sim software on the old macintosh https://macintoshgarden.org/ or another DOS game which is highly realistic but weirdo in a Bowie type way is Corncob3D https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pie_in_the_Sky_(game_engine). I heart that game, and it's also way more difficult than actual RAF stuff which is why I completed around 3 missions ever : (

Okay, I'm trying to find this particular Mac sim for you which appears to be have been made by an actual World War II veteran, and it's really good.

https://www.macintoshrepository.org/3834-dogfight-city Think it's this one?

There's a video below of an earlier version I think, and it initially doesn't seem all that wow or mindblowing - but you control the flightstick using your mouse to simulate essentially, the top end of where it would be in a real plane - and the air / wind dynamics are very authentic too, so it's very close to flying an actual plane.

14 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

Pure on 360/PS3 has a similar feel to Excitebike. As does one of the earliest MX/ATV games on PS2, but the name escapes me.

I’d kill for a new game that is even half as magical as Wave Race 64 though. The best racing game of all time for me. 

Pure looks great cheers. Wave race 64 is probably my fav racer too, I re completed it on retro arch over the summer. It's even better in hi Res.

Bluestorm on the GameCube is also great, and really fast!

If you haven’t tried these then you definitely should!!!

Both are in the “Excite” series, have a nice trick system and are brilliant fun to play. Excitebots was a US only release, but worth finding.

• Upvote 5

On 09/01/2020 at 23:21, gone fishin' said:

If you haven’t tried these then you definitely should!!!

Both are in the “Excite” series, have a nice trick system and are brilliant fun to play. Excitebots was a US only release, but worth finding.

Excite truck looks great, thanks. Do they have same sort of depth as excite bike?

They should never have used the ‘Excite’ prefix for vehicles that didn’t rhyme.

They could’ve had:

Excitebike

Holy Fuck! Truck

Hot-bot 

• Upvote 1

On 08/01/2020 at 23:15, Lyrical Donut said:

If you're just pootling through arcade mode, then I can understand you may feel that way. The controls definitely come into their own when you start time trialling.

Daytona USA (XB/PS3 - also BC on XB1 I believe?) and Sega Rally 1/2/3 (aka Revo) fit the bill in that regard too. You'll need a PC via emulation for all the Sega Rally games. There's a great SR1 port for PS2. SR3 / Revo can be picked up on PS3/360.

I'd also recommend Excite Truck on Wii.  Easily one of my favourite launch titles - I spent a lot of time with it when I should've been getting on with Twilight Princess. Great risk / reward gameplay. Probably the closest thing I've experienced to a 1080/WR style game once it all clicks. It got a bad rep because everyone got caught up in the whole WAGGLE LOL thing and probably didn't give it enough time before dismissing it. Eejits.

Definitely Excite Truck , it is a great, often overlooked title :)

• Upvote 1

Excite Truck is definitely up there with Wave Race, 1080 etc. It's a barnstorming Wii game and I still play it today. I might even say I prefer it to Burnout 2 on the GC.

• Upvote 1

On 11/01/2020 at 11:08, Rex Grossman said:

They should never have used the ‘Excite’ prefix for vehicles that didn’t rhyme.

They could’ve had:

Excitebike

Holy Fuck! Truck

Hot-bot 

The name "Excite Truck" has become endearingly crap over time though. Like how the Super Smash Bros game for Wii U was called Super Smash Bros for Wii U.

(EDIT: and arguing that it's a "for = 4" pun only makes it look worse! :P )

• Upvote 1

Holy fuck truck (it’s new name in my mind) can be picked up for less than a pint. It’s legendary. Also you can play mp3s off the sd card whilst you tear up the tracks. 

20 hours ago, Lumpy said:

Excite Truck is definitely up there with Wave Race, 1080 etc. It's a barnstorming Wii game and I still play it today. I might even say I prefer it to Burnout 2 on the GC.

I had forgotten about this game but agree the control is up there with 1080, Waverace and Excite bike, it’s great and so fast.

On 08/01/2020 at 23:56, Ketchup said:

I'll raise you Amped 2. Amped 1 is great but a little unpolished and thus difficult. Amped 2, perfected things. The online mode used to be great, just going down the mountains doing tricks with 7 other randoms. Looks great, is tough but fair and is a nice chill out game with a fantastic soundtrack.

I actually rebought amped 2 a couple of years ago. It is very good. Though it never grabbed me the same way 1080 did.

Splashdown 2: Rides Gone Wild on the PS2 - excellent novelty speedboat racing with crazy circuits that change each lap.

Downhill Domination on PS2 - okay it's not motorbikes but mountain biking is just as fluid and fun.

And stating the obvious here: SSX Tricky.

• Upvote 1

I'd suggest Steep Slope Sliders on Sega Saturn and its sequel/semi sequel (Same developer Cave no less) Trick'N Snowboarder on PlayStation 1

Another recommendation for Excite Truck, it's fucking awesome.

(Excite Bots is also great, but with it being a bit too gimmicky and having a few more waggle elements, it just never grabbed me as much.)

• Upvote 1

Loved Excite Truck when I owned it. Was like the lovechild of Burnout and Pure. On that subject Pure was brilliant as well and is well worth digging out (Xbox 360/PS3) and must be available for pennies now. 

I did love Amped 2 when I had it but I fear it may have aged badly, but that's just based on my recollections. 

• Upvote 1

On 14/01/2020 at 22:46, Riven said:

I'd suggest Steep Slope Sliders on Sega Saturn and its sequel/semi sequel (Same developer Cave no less) Trick'N Snowboarder on PlayStation 1

The trick n snowboarder looks great, but it seems to have bad reviews ?

On 19/01/2020 at 18:38, strawdonkey said:

It may be a little too on the wacky end, but I loved Hydro Thunder Hurricane on 360. 

I loved hydro thunder on the dreamcast. I keep meaning to try hurricane .