IGNORED

Recommend games like wave race 64, 1080 snowboarding or excite bike 64

bplus

1 hour ago, bplus said:

I loved hydro thunder on the dreamcast. I keep meaning to try hurricane .

Hydro Thunder Hurricane is great. It's one of several racing games I tend to put on while I'm listening to podcasts.

It's really tough to get gold medals on the later championships though.

On 20/01/2020 at 20:29, Nick R said:

Hydro Thunder Hurricane is great. It's one of several racing games I tend to put on while I'm listening to podcasts.

It's really tough to get gold medals on the later championships though.

Well I bought it two nights ago, so far seems great, shame I've had a total of 25 mins free time in last two nights to play it :(

• 10 months later...
On 31/12/2020 at 00:31, Protocol Penguin said:

That’s the one! :D 

Is it any good? The review scores are low, but I'm thinking that's just because these sort of games were falling out of fashion.

I tried mxt mototrax (most unmemorable name ever!) On my pc, it seemed good, but I had to configure pad manually and I'd prefer it on a console.

On 04/01/2021 at 06:33, bplus said:

Is it any good? The review scores are low, but I'm thinking that's just because these sort of games were falling out of fashion.

I tried mxt mototrax (most unmemorable name ever!) On my pc, it seemed good, but I had to configure pad manually and I'd prefer it on a console.

I quite like Nitrobike on PS2 but I'm not massively hard to please when it comes to arcade racers.

It's been a while but I think I didn't get on with the Wii version as much because I'm not a big fan of wii motion controls.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing 1080 avalanche on dolphin emulator. I bought it back in the day and left it back to the shop. They really messed up the good bits of 1080. Depth seems to be gone from the controls and trick system. That spin the stick thing to regain balance is God awful, it's really jarring and snaps you right out of the game with a horrible sound affect , basically slaps you in the face to remind you it's a video game.

The course design is just full of horribly crap gimmicks like ice spikes landing randomly in front of you that you have to dodge. Or the saw mill bits.

There's none of the originals magic when you suddenly notice the snow type has changed and you are sort of drifting on powder.

Also I loved trying to master the trick system on the original. Landing 1080s took skill.

However all that said I think there's a decent game hiding in here somewhere. I'm going to keep going...

Yeah the stick spinning was what killed it for me. The original was one of the most subtle and nuanced games ever and they followed it up with this cartoon nonsense. 

Edit: having said that I really enjoyed Wave Race Blue Storm, albeit in a different way to 64. Dat water! 

Yeah, Blue Storm was still pretty good but agree on Avalanchh. It was also around the time that you had Tony Hawk, Dave Mirra etc. on the GC (I think, it was a while ago!) and they were better trick games.

Loved 1080 though, still remember getting 102,000 on super jump when doing the five event high score run. Don't think I ever managed it more than the once.

THREE SIXTY, FIVE FORTY, THREE SIXTY, FIVE FORTY, THREE SIXTY, FIVE FORTY

Can still hear it now.

4 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Yeah the stick spinning was what killed it for me. The original was one of the most subtle and nuanced games ever and they followed it up with this cartoon nonsense. 

Edit: having said that I really enjoyed Wave Race Blue Storm, albeit in a different way to 64. Dat water! 

I was playing blue storm too. It's really good, but it doesn't handle as well as 64. Plus that early 2000s music on avalanche and bluestone is shit

Has anyone any thoughts on amped vs amped 2? I remember liking amped 2 but I tried it recently and the presentation is really annoying. The slopes are cover in photo spots which are really distracting (along with everyone shouting woo hoo you go dawg or something.)