rllmuk
Art Vandelay

Joining the Dots — A Forum Game of Sonic Connections

Everyone knows all music is intrinsically connected across a vast tapestry of styles and genres. Linked by artists, countries, players, producers and instruments. 

But, just how tenuous can we make the strings that connect these nodes?

Like, David Bowie made Young Americans, which Luther Vandross helped write. He made Never Too Much. When he died he had his funeral at the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel, as did Notorious BIG, who made Juicy. That sampled Mtumbe...

Et cetera.

Here’s an idea: I’ll pop up a starter for ten and then we all astound each other with our amazing taste and obtuse knowledge? They don’t have to be as try hard as my attempt there, but feel free to knock yourselves out. Hopefully a good one to start.

Sorry, it was poorly explained but we’ve got there. On reflection it is exactly the same as The Chain and Camel has nailed it. 

If people want to explain as they post or let others guess is totally up to them. Whatever is more fun.

25 minutes ago, Camel said:

That sort of thing?

So Tina Weymouth goes on to help produce this dirge from shaun ryder, the proclaimed poetic genius by Tony/Anthony/Tone H Wilson. Money spent on ryders love for crack cocaine and bez's driving licence contribute to the end of Factory Records 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Sorry, it was poorly explained but we’ve got there. On reflection it is exactly the same as The Chain and Camel has nailed it. 

If people want to explain as they post or let others guess is totally up to them. Whatever is more fun.

No, it’s okay, I got it, I just wasn’t totally certain it was what you were going for. 

13 hours ago, Tonald Drump said:

So Tina Weymouth goes on to help produce this dirge from shaun ryder, the proclaimed poetic genius by Tony/Anthony/Tone H Wilson. Money spent on ryders love for crack cocaine and bez's driving licence contribute to the end of Factory Records 

Which is almost exactly where I would have gone. (Although presumably you could have gone earlier Happy Monday’s (ie when they were good) with the link being Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth produced Yes Please. 

The reason I would have gone Happy Mondays was to bring it closer to home and to open lots of doors. 

Having had those doors opened, I’ll go with a pretty obscure track I first heard on a free cassette.  In part to share a great, overlooked record and in part because while the link is easy, it too opens lots of doors, obvious and obscure:

[Edit: changed to YouTube with better audio]

With that free cassette coming from Select magazine, can look to their first issue which also came with a free casette featuring music from acts including House of Love, Electribe 101, Dusty Springfield, The Fall and Yello

Yello obviously made a tonne of brilliant music including

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tonald Drump said:

With that free cassette coming from Select magazine, can look to their first issue which also came with a free casette featuring music from acts including House of Love, Electribe 101, Dusty Springfield, The Fall and Yello

Yello obviously made a tonne of brilliant music including

Nice link and some good (if obscure) directions to go in.

(I know where I would go from here but I’ve just had a turn and tbh it’s a little bit of a backward step but I wouldn’t be able to resist.)

Yello's 'Oh Yeah' is featured in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. As is...

• Upvote 1

Giorgio Moroder collaborated with Daft Punk on the track "Giorgio By Moroder" from their 2013 album Random Access Memories. The guitarist on that track was legendary session musician Paul Jackson Jr. He also played guitar on "Heartbreak Hotel" by The Jacksons from their 1980 album Triumph.

• Upvote 2

Which also featured 'Can You Feel It', the bassline of which Nile Rogers nicked for this:

On 10/01/2020 at 21:20, Camel said:

Which also featured 'Can You Feel It', the bassline of which Nile Rogers nicked for this:

Let’s get this started for the week. Lots of directions to take from Madonna. She famously worked with William Orbit on Ray of Light. William Orbit was in a relationship with and kick started the career of Beth Orton. This is from her second album:

• Upvote 1

I’ll be honest, when I saw the preview of the last post, I was wondering how you’d get from Sonic the Hedgehog to Madonna...

The Chemical Brothers seem the most obvious next step to take, rather than going back to her collaboration with William Orbit on Water From A Vine Leaf (a track I prefer to any of her work with the Tom & Ed). 

Here's 'Where Do I Begin' from the Chems second album Dig Your Own Hole.

• Upvote 1

Tom Rowlands and Ed Simons of The Chemical Brothers originally started life as The Dust Brothers, producing tracks like Song To The Siren and Chemical Beats, and remixing Lionrock and Leftfield. After objections from the original The Dust Brothers, known for writing and producing tracks for Tone Loc, Young MC and The Beastie Boys, Rowlands and Simons changed their name.

EZ Mike and King Gizmo of the actual Dust Brothers would go on to contribute to the Muppets In Space soundtrack with a cover of Earth Wind and Fire's Shining Star

• Upvote 2

Which is also the name of this banging LONS track from the Strictly Business soundtrack featuring a young Busta Rhymes for those that don't know.

Chuck D and The Bomb Squad gave Leaders of the New School their name. He also featured on this ray of positivity from Janet Jackson.

• Upvote 1

On 13/01/2020 at 08:40, SeanR said:

I’ll be honest, when I saw the preview of the last post, I was wondering how you’d get from Sonic the Hedgehog to Madonna...

Very easily!

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Chuck D and The Bomb Squad gave Leaders of the New School their name. He also featured on this ray of positivity from Janet Jackson.

Janet Jackson is the sister of legendary paedophile Michael. The bass line of the song ‘Bad’ by Mr Jackson was sampled by Tricky for ‘Brand New You’re Retro’, a track from his classic 1995 debut Maxinquaye. 

• Upvote 1

Let’s go Ike’s Rap II (sampled by Tricky) and see if the next person can avoid returning to Bristol. 

Also from Ghana, Recognize Ali here on a Farma G (aka Alien Grey) track.

While not being Ghanaian, or sentimental, Dr. Octagon is also an extraterrestrial. 

(I love the chain, I was on it once.)