Joining the Dots — A Forum Game of Sonic Connections

Art Vandelay

There's a conspiracy theory around NIN and Tori Amos, with various common lyrics, titles etc. so here's an underappreciated track by her.

http://www.thanatopsic.org/music/trivial/ttcon.html

Edit - I should add that most of these conspiracy theory points are just clutching at straws or tenuous at best (both used the sound of a dog on an album etc.) but it gives me an excuse to post this vid.

• 2 months later...

It’s struck me the other day that this thread had died a death and was perfect for the lockdown so I decided to revive it.

Todd Terje is the nom de DJ of Terje Olsen in honour of Todd Terry. Todd Terry recorded as Masters at Work in the 80s before the name was used by “Little” Louie Vega and Kenny “Dope” Gonzales.  (It’s unclear who gave the name to whom.). MAW we’re responsible for some of the best dance music of the 1990s. My personal favourite was their tribute to the Latin, Puerto Rican, inspired NY disco of Salsoul: Nuyorican Soul. Such a great project:

I make no apologies for posting the 12” mix. 

A truly wonderful album, from the Jocelyn Brown tracks at the start to the amazing collaboration with George Benson at the end - plus great tracks with Roy Ayers and India and a load of lovely latin jazz in between. If you can recommend another album like it I'd love to hear it. So many choices of things to post - my first consideration was the epic remix of Black Gold of the Sun by 4 Hero. I could have posted any number of things from Jocelyn Brown as she has one of the best voices in the business. I almost just posted the George Benson collaboration from the Nuyorican Soul album - it's that good (just found out there is a 16 minute 12" mix from 1996 with two alternative versions on the b-side too). However, Youtube threw up this other Benson/MAW collaboration that I haven't heard in years and it still sounds great.

George Benson feat Joe Sample - El Barrio (MAW remix)

Two total knockouts. The Nuyorican Soul album is so good I listen to it constantly. Those were the days when everything on Talkin' Loud was essential, and every release must have had an infinite budget for packaging and remixes. Gilles Peterson can certainly put a project together. The only other thing like that album I've ever heard was Sonzeira with a similar dedication to assembling the best of everything across an album. 

El Barrio is such a great tune. MAW still are pretty much peerless. 

Leading on, a simple one – Joe Sample features with George Benson on that, and he was in The Crusaders and before they were The Crusaders they were The Jazz Crusaders and released this jazz-dance masterpiece. Maybe takes us back to the start of this post as it's a Dingwalls anthem.

16 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

A truly wonderful album, from the Jocelyn Brown tracks at the start to the amazing collaboration with George Benson at the end - plus great tracks with Roy Ayers and India and a load of lovely latin jazz in between. If you can recommend another album like it I'd love to hear it. So many choices of things to post - my first consideration was the epic remix of Black Gold of the Sun by 4 Hero.

I nearly posted that as my choice from Nuyorican soul. I love it. 

16 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Two total knockouts. The Nuyorican Soul album is so good I listen to it constantly. Those were the days when everything on Talkin' Loud was essential, and every release must have had an infinite budget for packaging and remixes. Gilles Peterson can certainly put a project together. The only other thing like that album I've ever heard was Sonzeira with a similar dedication to assembling the best of everything across an album. 

El Barrio is such a great tune. MAW still are pretty much peerless. 

Agreed on all counts. 

Leading on, a simple one – Joe Sample features with George Benson on that, and he was in The Crusaders and before they were The Crusaders they were The Jazz Crusaders and released this jazz-dance masterpiece. Maybe takes us back to the start of this post as it's a Dingwalls anthem.

The (Jazz) Crusaders are probably best known for Street Life featuring Randy Crawford on vocals. Written by Joe Sample mentioned above I think. It's a great tune and featured in the Jackie Brown Soundtrack which is fantastic. Also on that Soundtrack is Strawberry Letter 23, by Brothers Johnson. They didn’t write it, Shuggie Otis did. My favourite Shuggie Otis track is:

(too many links?)

9 hours ago, Mr Monday said:

Colonel Abrams early stuff came out on Arthur Baker’s seminal record label Streetwise.  Earlier in the 80’s Arthur Baker was involved with this project 

Amazed I have never heard that track before.

(I am trying very hard to resist posting a New Order track.)

On 16/04/2020 at 22:39, Mr Monday said:

Colonel Abrams early stuff came out on Arthur Baker’s seminal record label Streetwise.  Earlier in the 80’s Arthur Baker was involved with this project 

Arthur Baker is also responsible for this work of utter genius 80s electro:

Great Balearic track and I have resisted the urge to post another Balearic record. Elkins and Nelson are one of the many acts to have covered Light My Fire by the Doors.  One of my favourites, and keeping the Latin theme, is by Jose Feliciano

That is so a Balearic track! I've definitely heard Alfredo Fiorito play it. I never tire of hearing it.

In my opinion the second best version of that song – my favourite is by the beautiful The Free Design. They also made this piece of sunshine baroque pop.

2 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

That is so a Balearic track! I've definitely heard Alfredo Fiorito play it. I never tire of hearing it.

:lol: yeah you’re right but the alternative was Raise by Boca Juniors!

18 hours ago, acidbearboy said:

John Rocca of Freeez was also in Electra with Paul Oakenfold and Steve Osborne. They had a minor hit in 1988 with Jibaro - a cover version of an old track by Columbian duo Elkin & Nelson. Here's a nice live performance:

I love this song.