rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
gizmo1990

Plastic Sleeves for Comics/Retro Magazines?

I've been putting this off for years but would finally like to get around to putting part of my retro magazine collection in plastic sleeves. Unfortunately it seems like the correct sizes for larger old mags is increasingly rare? A couple of years ago I'd bookmarked a place that sold Mylites 2 in the format I need, however they've long gone.

According to Mylites ancient looking website, I need their 950M2 9 1/2" x 12 1/2" Sheet Music, Large Mag sleeves. Finding someone who stocks these though seems oddly difficult! Does anyone know where I can get this larger type of archival sleeve? Or a good competitor to Mylites even?

Forbidden Planet also sell magazine sleeves, if you have one nearby:

• "New style 2000AD" bags work great for super A4 mags, like Retro Gamer.
  • "Old style 2000AD" bags can be used for A3 mags. I'm  using these to store some old issues of NGC and C&VG magazine.

I have to admit to using standard A4 wallets for EDGE and GamesTM magazine. OK for the short-term, but they're starting to degrade over time. I'd be interested to find archival sleeves tailored for mags of this height/width/depth.

How are you storing the mags? I've been keeping them stacked in a cupboard for years, which makes it difficult to get to issues at the bottom (and puts extra weight on them), but bought 5 extra-strong magazine long boxes for around £20 on ebay last year. These hold the mags vertically and are sufficiently strong to allow box stacking.

@knightbeat Yeah Forbidden Planet only seemed to sell a small selection of ComiCare range. Their range doesn't seem to include the bigger sizes which European mags often came in. The CollectorLine bags I got are lovely though, they fit great. I'll be looking at getting some of their smaller sizes for my other mags. I think Mylar is the standard by which archival enthusiasts swear by, hence my interest in MyLites 2. They are insanely expensive though and getting the obscure sizes I needed, even if I could afford it which I can't, was daft at those prices.

I store my magazine and comic collection in bookshelves. I really believe in having them out and easily accessible. I get a huge amount of joy out of just skimming through one on a whim. I say skimming, but can easily lose an hour if I'm not careful!;) Super nerdy, but I also place them cover/reverse/cover etc so that they stand vertical and 'true'. Stopping their spine thickness from eventually making them uneven and bending out of shape.

General Reminder: Importing anything before 31 January will be as cheap as you’ll ever be able to import; once the Pound collapses and far more import duties are imposed, you’ll wish you’ll have bought stuff earlier. <_<

• Upvote 2

Oh don't worry, I've been well aware of that since the hammer fell.:(:facepalm: A lot of people are going to be very surprised (i.e. blame others) how much their lives are going to be impacted. They'd had it good for so long, taken so much for granted. Veering slightly OT for a plastic bag thread tho...;)

• Upvote 2