rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
strider

Retro Gamer 202 - Knights Of The Old Republic

retro-gamer.png

The new issue is on sale now.

Grab it in a shop or get it from

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/retro-gamer-print-back-issues/retro-gamer-issue-202/

Contents

The Making Of: Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic

Ultimate Guide: Time Crisis

Yu Suzuki Golden Joysticks Interview

Retro Revival: Shanghai

In The Chair: Big Boy Barry

The Making: Of Bactron

Conversion Kings: Psycho Pigs UXB

From The Archives: Arc System Works

Retro Revival: RoadBlasters (Lynx)

Ultimate Guide: Twin Cobra

Digital Destinations

The Making: Of Ghost Hunters

Ultimate Guide: Street Racer

Hardware Heaven: Xbox

History Of: Warlords

Retro Revival: The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse

Future Classic: Disco Elysium

So You Want To Collect: Castlevania Games

Peripheral Vision: Fishing Controller

Retro Revival: Garou: Mark Of The Wolves

• Upvote 7

You have probably been asked this before @strider, and it may be one of those topics for which there isn't much information, but I'd love a feature on the Gameboy Micro. The thinking behind its inception and design, and an analysis of its relative success (or failure). It seemed to arrive at an interesting time, and it's a lovely machine, but I'm not sure it achieved perhaps what Nintendo hoped it would.

29 minutes ago, memories said:

Great read as ever.

Is that @elmo in the picture on page 95 with Big Boy Barry?

IMG_20200112_115017.jpg

It is!

• Upvote 3

Is there a digital edition of the magazine available outside of Apple devices now that Google have helpfully shut down their service? Such a pain because I've been using it since 2012 and having them all in one place was so handy. 

Readly carries it, but that's both an expensive and not-huge-money-to-future way of getting it.

On 10 January 2020 at 14:50, Pixelated Ben said:

You have probably been asked this before @strider, and it may be one of those topics for which there isn't much information, but I'd love a feature on the Gameboy Micro. The thinking behind its inception and design, and an analysis of its relative success (or failure). It seemed to arrive at an interesting time, and it's a lovely machine, but I'm not sure it achieved perhaps what Nintendo hoped it would.

A piece like that would rely on great access to the key people at Nintendo or a subsidiary. The recent Game Boy history piece would be an example, drawing on lots of developers who worked with the hardware.

22 hours ago, NickyDrinks said:

Is there a digital edition of the magazine available outside of Apple devices now that Google have helpfully shut down their service? Such a pain because I've been using it since 2012 and having them all in one place was so handy. 

Your local library via PressReader might have it.

• Upvote 1

Bumping this thread because this seems to be the most recent RG thread.

I haven't seen a detailed picture of the cards, but this sounds like a disappointing thing for the magazine to do:

Yeah, a few usual suspects, some of which had a grudge because RG employed a dickhead before it became clear he was a dickhead, piled in.

Only fair for RG to have a chance.  Future's the kind of company where this kind of shit happens.  I imagine RG will find them some editorial room, perhaps pimp the museum's version of the cards and all will be well there.

8 hours ago, Nick R said:

I haven't seen a detailed picture of the cards, but this sounds like a disappointing thing for the magazine to do:

I've already got my cards...

The images of the machines are by Evan-amos, who they do credit in the mag.  I know that's licence compliant because I use the same images on Yesterzine under the same licence.  They're also mostly the wikipedia images for the machines.

2020-03-15_23_06_34.jpg

2020-03-15_23_06_44.jpg

No reason the editorial team would know every single things the subs team do. And plus it’s not like these are the first or only Top Trump style cards on this theme. It’s unfortunate and a coincidence. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah but Twitter isn't getting that.

I don't doubt someone at Future has possibly done something shitty but it's reasonably clear that person isn't Darran and if he's telling us it wasn't anyone in the editorial team I believe him.

That said, the cards the museum do look really nice so I might pick those up too.

• Upvote 2

And you know what?

If the mag had used the museum's cards, people would have been complaining that they already have them

I hope there's a reasonable explanation (and "we didn't know what the other team were doing" isn't reasonable, IMO), but you can't ignore that on the face of it this seems an absurdly shitty move.

FWIW the museum have called for people to stop cancelling RG as that isn't what they want.

1 hour ago, deKay said:

I hope there's a reasonable explanation (and "we didn't know what the other team were doing" isn't reasonable, IMO), but you can't ignore that on the face of it this seems an absurdly shitty move.

It's totally reasonable to anyone who has worked for a major publisher. Very, very often (like 99 times out of 100) the subs team will not be talking to the editorial team about content. Ever.

7 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

It's totally reasonable to anyone who has worked for a major publisher. Very, very often (like 99 times out of 100) the subs team will not be talking to the editorial team about content. Ever.

And yet, the instructions on how to play the game is somehow included in the magazine?

12 minutes ago, deKay said:

And yet, the instructions on how to play the game is somehow included in the magazine?

Top Trumps? Or the exact wording?

13 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

The exact wording and referencing the cards included with the magazine specifically.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

The exact wording and referencing the cards included with the magazine specifically.

Oh OK, then I retract my statements.

I can nigh-on guarantee this was caused by one particular higher up at Future. Would be incredibly surprised if it were a decision made by the editorial team, rather than something foisted on them under duress.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, deKay said:

FWIW the museum have called for people to stop cancelling RG as that isn't what they want.

Then they probably shouldn't have tweeted they were cancelling their own sub.

I'm sure there isn't a reasonable explanation from the Future management. I'm just saying that I absolutely believe the editorial team are innocent.

4 hours ago, deKay said:

The team knew about the cards, they did not know that the museum had been talked to about sourcing them.

4 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

To be clear:

0E42EA9E-29D3-4AE5-9DF1-1E42F91ED459.thumb.jpeg.2b2e05ca32b2f452e1d94f55ac50d385.jpeg