rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Clipper

Do they fake board games?

Simple question , when buying boardgames are there fakes to look out for.

Only reason I ask is I am looking for some board games (mainly 1 player sob) and the prices are pretty high so I was checking ebay for 2nd hand stuff and saw Gloomhaven was still quite expensive even 2nd hand. Anywya I fancy terraforming mars and it is 50 quid new I believe and on ebay I see this for £20

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Terraforming-Mars-Board-Game-Build-Your-Economy-and-Transform-The-Planet-T-WC-UK/401967800786?hash=item5d9725e1d2:g:Xu4AAOSwwJ5d2Qi2

so are there fakes or is the market for certain games quite "low"?

Also does anyone have any tips/locations for buying 2nd hand board games?

Yes. They do. I've seen pictures of fake Pandemic Legacy and Pandemic. I think the more popular games that have been around for a few years, like Terraforming Mars, have a bigger chance of being copied than a brand new game that hasn't taken off yet. Amazon has a bit of a problem with this because of the way they stock items sent in from Amazon Marketplace so I'm wary of buying games from them these days.

There are various facebook market groups that are boardgame hobbyists selling to each other and you can be sure of the games on there. I also get a fairly regular newsletter from https://www.madhatterboardgames.co.uk/ who sell second hand games.

I would be very suspicious of the very low priced Terraforming Mars.

BTW, if you're near the North East and want to play some non-solo games we're arranging a boardgame meet for the end of Feb. Several forumites are already pencilled in. PM me for more details if you wish.

• Upvote 2

The third item of feedback suggests this is a fake version of the game.  You could argue that so long as it is functionally complete that doesnt really matter at the price.  

Edit. It looks as if Gloomhaven is now available for less than £90 although I've never used or heard of the retailer (Titan games), so maybe save the £20 and put it into a GH fund?  There is going to be a lite version of GH (Jaws of the Lion) released at some point this year which will be a smaller box product not using dungeon tiles at all and with 4 (I think) classes only, so as to give folk a taster of the mechanics without having all the material included in the original.  However, I doubt it will retail for less than £40, such are board game prices.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 1

Gloomhaven has been heavily discounted at a few major online retailers over the past few months so I wouldn't be too wary of that.  I think it was either Yatu or Chaos Cards doing it for £80 in the run up to Christmas.

There was an article about fake board games on the BBC's Fake Britain programme a month or so ago which might still be on the iPlayer.  It was quite interesting because they interviewed the boss of Asmodee UK about it and he showed some examples which looked pretty convincing from the exterior but the card stock was poor and the boards were warped.

• Upvote 1

The seller is based in China, which is a bit of a red flag.  Pirated board games do exist, it's more of a thing than you'd expect.  They're generally are of a much lower quality to the originals, as you'd expect.  The components are cheaply-produced knock-offs.  The photo in the listing is of an official copy of the game, so not representative of what you'd be getting.  Even leaving those considerations aside, you'd be giving your money to a shady thief instead of the people who actually created the game.  In short, don't buy it.

• Upvote 2

Unless its Terraforming Mars. Some of the knock offs of that actually have better card stock and components than the official version. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks all - The china country for all the listings and the low prices just set off a warning light for me!

Would prefer to buy originals obviously. I see Gloomhaven is hovering around 80 for 2nd hand on ebay but again not sure of fake or not - I'm guessing not given what is said above.

This 5th edition (dot he editions make any difference or is it just 5th printing?) is 92

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gloomhaven-Board-Game-Cephalofair-Games-2019-5th-Edition-Brand-New-And/401920403167?epid=0&hash=item5d9452a6df:g:5LUAAOSwT6ldox4n

THis 2nd hand one might go for 80 ish

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gloomhaven-board-game/303434698653?hash=item46a61e0f9d:g:w2IAAOSw6GJeEz00

And thanks for offers of boardgaming - I do actually have a very active boardgaming group near to me, just personal reasons why I can't go along.

• Upvote 1