rllmuk
ngchol

Rllmuk's Favourite Albums of the Decade (2010-19) - Discussion Thread

Been listening to the albums on my shortlist quite a lot lately and trying to order them. It turns out that as I get older, I just want some happy, uplifting dance-pop songs (on the whole) and loads of Synths or Piano. There's a bit of techno and downtempo stuff lower down the list, but mostly these albums make me smile or dance or sing. 

Spoiler

01 - Todd Terje - It's Album Time
02 - Breakbot - By Your Side
03 - Madeon - Adventure
04 - Kuedo - Severant
05 - SBTRKT - SBTRKT
06 - Tuxedo - Tuxedo
07 - Classixx - Hanging Gardens
08 - Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
09 - Lone - Reality Testing
10 - Martyn - Ghost People
11 - Space Dimension Controller - Welcome to Mikrosector-50
12 - Floating Points - Elaenia
13 - Breakbot - Still Waters
14 - Bicep - Bicep 
15 - Lindstrom - Windings EP
16 - Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
17 - DMX Krew - The March To The Stars
18 - CFCF - On Vacation

19 - Cut Copy - Zonoscope
20 - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic

Good albums that missed out on the top 20:

Chromeo - Head Over Heels (probably the best of their 2010-2019 releases, though they are all pretty solid)

Distasterpeace - Fez OST (listened to this more than I played the game, plus there's some lovely remixes available too)

Khotin - Beautiful You (lovely ambient moods)

Steve Moore - Primitive Neural Pathways (a solid release of classic synth soundscapes)

Steve Moore - Beloved Exile (possibly better than the above, but I've only had it a few months)

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Just bought that Todd Terje album yesterday. Is wonderful. 

Agreed, a magnificent, joyful album. Deffo going in my top ten.

• Upvote 1

I forgot about some of the ones on @acidbearboy's list there. Especially the Todd Terje and SBTRKT albums. And I just remembered Fin by John Talabot, which I really enjoyed for ages. Big lists are hard.

This is hard. SO far:

Anima - Thom Yorke

Moon Shaped Pool - RadioHead

Love Letters - Metronomy

Born to Die - Lana Del Rey

Blackstar - David Bowie

The English Riviera - Metronomy

The ArchAndroid - Janelle Monae

Senior - Royksopp

Random Access Memories - Daft Punk

It’s really hard to do, I’ve forgotten loads. I started last decade in quite a bad place but ended it in a much, much better one, as such my choices are skewed more towards the latter half of the decade. Some stuff I can’t even listen to anymore, so I’ve tried picking albums I still like now that give me pleasure and not remind me of the bad times :wacko:

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s really hard to do, I’ve forgotten loads. I started last decade in quite a bad place but ended it in a much, much better one, as such my choices are skewed more towards the latter half of the decade. Some stuff I can’t even listen to anymore, so I’ve tried picking albums I still like now that give me pleasure and not remind me of the bad times :wacko:

Phoenix's Ti Amo at number 2 on your list is an inspired pick. Definitely one for the good times! Is that your favourite of their records? Wolfgang obviously gets the most love, but I actually find Bankrupt is the one I return to most, the second side in particular - that Drakkar Noir to Chloroform transition is something else.

Can't wait until they tour again!

4 hours ago, Marlowe said:

Phoenix's Ti Amo at number 2 on your list is an inspired pick. Definitely one for the good times! Is that your favourite of their records? Wolfgang obviously gets the most love, but I actually find Bankrupt is the one I return to most, the second side in particular - that Drakkar Noir to Chloroform transition is something else.

Can't wait until they tour again!

Yeah I love that record and would probably say it’s my favourite of theirs overall but I love them all, it’s just so defiantly joyous and I’ve grown to enjoy it even more as time goes by - I hope the next one is similarly poppy. And yeah they’re amazing live aren’t they. 

p.s. Bankrupt! is indeed awesome :)

• Upvote 1

This was so hard.  Currently got this:

01 - GoGo Penguin - v2.0

02 - Kamasi Washington - The Epic

03 - Rolling Blackout Coastal Fever - The French Press

04 - Ryan Adams - 1989

05 - Matthew Halsall - On The Go

06 - Bombay Bicycle Club - A Different Kind of Fix

07 - The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

08 - The Horrors - Skying

09 - Childish Gambino - Awaken My Love

10 - Greg Foat - The Mage

11 - Loyle Carner - Yesterday's Gone

12 - Khruangbin - The Universe Smiles Upon You

13 - Bill Ryder-Jones - Yawn

14 - Lucy Rose - Like I Used To

15 -Ghost Face Killa - Sour Soul

16 - The Coral - Distance Inbetween

17 - The Black Keys - El Camino

18 - Treetop Flyers - The Mountain Moves 

19 - Ride - This is Not a Safe Place

20 - Ishmael Ensemble - State of Flow

Not totally sure of the order after the top 4

Just posted my top bunch of favorite albums. I struggled loads to rank them so they are presented in alphabetical order. That means it's congratulations to A Tribe Called Quest,  worthy winners of anything ever.

• Upvote 1

It was fun coming up with my list, I really enjoyed it! If anyone hasn’t been able to get their list in tonight, I’m happy to leave it open until tomorrow evening when I’ll try to do the results.

Posted my list.

Even though this has been the Spotify and YouTube Decade, with easier access to music than ever before, I've mostly used those to listen to fill in blind spots in old music rather instead of keeping up with new releases. So the number of 2010s albums I had to choose from is a lot lower than it should be. No doubt in the next few months I'll catch up and get familiar with other albums and realise I should have included them. Maybe in a year I'll come back to this thread and compare how different a revised list would be? (Someone remind me!)

I put two Screaming Females albums near the top! To tell the truth there are one or two further albums by them that I'd struggle to distinguish in quality, but I thought that two was plenty.

I've put two Thurston Moore albums side-by-side for the same reason. With a Lee Ranaldo album on the list too, mine has become the list of former Sonic Youth members. (Sorry, Kim Gordon - though I did like No Home Record. :()

Two female-fronted Japanese guitar groups (Tricot and Mass of the Fermenting Dregs) on my list! Plus Kero Kero Bonito and this decade's Cibo Matto album weren't that far below the bottom of my list... lol I am such a weeb O__o

I see a few people have nominated Hans Zimmer soundtracks. One thing that I've realised from putting my list together is that although there are a lot of individual movie score cues that I love (and the occasional musical showtune), I rarely listen to OST albums from start to finish. There were a few that I considered including, but decided against them. In the end there was one TV soundtrack album that I had to include - but even that was based more on how much I loved the songs in the context of the episodes, rather than because I've spent much time listening to the 112-track album in question. Also I included it because I wanted to do my bit to represent the comedy song genre. :P

On 19/02/2020 at 16:01, Fierce Poodle said:

Damn, I forgot to post my list. Good line up though, unusually I’ve listened to all the Top 10 albums.

Do share anyway.