rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Virtua Racing being ported to the Pico8

That's impressive! Amazing how they've managed to capture the feel despite it being in a window the size of a postage stamp :P

I don't really know what Pico-8 is. I've seen it mentioned before and thought it was some lo-fi handheld computer but reading that link it's actually just software that emulates a lo-fi environment, or something, ahem. But it does work on a Pocket Chip, which is what I thought the Pico-8 was, I'm confusing myself lol.

Basically, will this run on the Pocket Chip?

Can we have a thread on the Pico-8? Didn't know what it was, found a website with a browser version and now im super intrigued even if i don't quite get what it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

47 minutes ago, amc said:

I don't really know what Pico-8 is. I've seen it mentioned before and thought it was some lo-fi handheld computer but reading that link it's actually just software that emulates a lo-fi environment, or something, ahem. But it does work on a Pocket Chip, which is what I thought the Pico-8 was, I'm confusing myself lol.

Yes. Pico 8 is like a programming language to use on portable consoles like the Pocket Chip.

Some Pico 8 games here in a browser:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, amc said:

As PocketCHIP supports the Pico-8 "console", it should run this port.

5 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Yes. Pico 8 is like a programming language to use on portable consoles like the Pocket Chip.

Pico-8 is the platform but the games themselves are programmed in Lua.

Like almost anything with a CPU and graphics output, the demoscene has been on this for ages:

On 15/01/2020 at 14:15, Lorfarius said:

Some Pico 8 games here in a browser:

https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php

Yeah, the marketing usually refers to it as a 'fantasy console', which is a neat way to think of it.

As in, it's a specification for a theoretical NES-style console with similar limitations on memory, CPU speed, screen resolution, audio, etc. There is no actual Pico 8 hardware, but rather an emulator that simulates a Pico 8 system, and you can create games and programs that run on that.

The intentionally restrictive specs are what gives it its appeal - people like to try to see how much they can squeeze out of the limited feature set, and its also great for prototyping games as you don't run the risk of getting distracted by all the fancy bells and whistles that developing for eg. PC would give you.

But yeah, the game files are tiny. You can even share them as .PNG files I believe :D

There's no CPU limiting or set CPU speed for the Pico 8 as far as I've been able to tell from messing around with it and playing other people's games, so I doubt the Virtua Racing port would run well on the Pocket Chip. It's still an amazing achievement squashing the game in to 64k though. 

Blimey. I thought Star Fox was about the limit of what it could do!