rllmuk
Stanshall

Arcains, Liverpool

Anyone been here yet? It's a retro arcade in the old Cains brewery, I understand. Baltic Triangle area. 

I get the impression it's more 'barcade' than a dedicated Arcade Club-type affair but I'm off there tomorrow, in any case. My bro lives in Liverpool and we're looking for stuff to do that doesn't involve hitting the piss. Someone he works with recommended it.

I heard the retro stuff is actually MAME in some cases but I'm not expecting too much. Just wondering if anyone has any impressions. 

• Upvote 1

Ghetto golf is also next to Cains and I went there a few months ago, was pretty cool. Didn’t know there was a barcode type thing there. The rest of the area is pretty good to wander around too such as that indoor food place. Baltic Market or something. 

• Upvote 1

Haven't been to the place you mention, well I've been to the Baltic Market for food a couple of times, it's pretty decent. But I did go here the other day whilst in town, https://nq64.co.uk/?page_id=440. Was only there to go the bank but thought I'd pop in whilst about, it was closed until later that day. <_<

• Upvote 1

Very pleasantly surprised by this place, and thanks for the replies. 

Sure enough, there's a lot of MAME cabinet stuff (with smoothing filters on in some cases, which wouldn't be my preference) but there's a hell of a lot of fun, interesting, pretty new stuff which I've never seen before. A lot of the games are lightgun type stuff but really cool. Rambo and the Halo game are both new to me but there was loads like that. The Mario Kart game I'd only seen once before in China, really cool. A few OutRun 2 cabs, including two fucking massive full-size car cabs which I've never seen before. Unfortunately, they weren't on today but I'll look forward to trying them next time. They also had these massive updated Turtles Arcade and Rampage cabs which I've never seen before and some horror thing with stereoscopic 3D and a MASSIVE Tomb Raider lightgun game. Sega Rally 3. Super Bikes 4. B2B USF4 and Tekken 7 cabs. Honestly, some really cool shit. 

They also had the colossal DariusBurst Another Chronicle cab with the ultra wide screen and fucking DEAFENING music. It was outstanding. The bass siren as the boss approached with a WARNING literally made my nuts rattle. That was the highlight of the day for me (not the rattled nuts, getting the 1CC!) and I'll definitely be going back for that alone. 

Fantastic scran round the corner at the Baltic Market, as well. Had a belting katsu curry for about six quid. Very reasonable and bloody tasty. By the time we got out, it was really warming up there, too. Seems like loads of great boozer options. When I'm back on the piss, I'll defo be going back to visit and properly making a night of it. 

• Upvote 8

The MAME cabinets are simply a bad idea if they're planning on appealing to the likes of us but it was pretty busy with a lot of kids and families and besides that stuff, there was a lot of great stuff I've never seen anywhere else. The ground floor is fairly shit but it gets much better on the other two floors. 

On 18/01/2020 at 20:50, Stanshall said:

They also had the colossal DariusBurst Another Chronicle cab with the ultra wide screen and fucking DEAFENING music. It was outstanding. The bass siren as the boss approached with a WARNING literally made my nuts rattle.

this has made me consider a trip down to Liverpool. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this. I work in Liverpool and didn’t know about it (I work the other side of town from Cains so don’t really end up that way often). May have to pay it a visit!

• Upvote 1

I’ve walked past it when going to Ghetto Golf the other week with work. Ground floor didn’t look great so glad to hear it’s better on the others. The wife and I plan to go soon, we’re big fans of Bury Arcade Club. 

When’s the forum Liverpool meet then?!

I couldn't organise a piss up in a (refurbished) brewery but if someone else manages to get a meet date pinned down I'll be there. And the offer of a few drinks to all who turn up is a solemn one. Would be a fun day so hope it happens.

I'm easy but hoping a few more jump in, otherwise scouser you'll be drinking for everyone else. Come on chaps this will probably end up being a real laugh. All the Mame smoothed games we can eat. Then we go upstairs...

I'm up for an Arcains forum meetup. I live in Aigburth so not far for me to travel, and I've still yet to check the place out. Very happy to chip in with any cocktail buying.

21 hours ago, reef said:

I'm up for an Arcains forum meetup. I live in Aigburth so not far for me to travel, and I've still yet to check the place out. Very happy to chip in with any cocktail buying.

Not far from me, then? I'm just off Allerton Road.

So that's three of us, so far...

Did we need a thread in the Meets folder, do we think?

To add a new contender to the mix, we went NQ64 on Colquitt St last night and it's fucking decent. A Good row of consoles with everdrives (well, sd2snes), plenty of fighting cabs, and 4 linked Outrun 2006 machines too. Don't get back home much so can't vouch for Arcains but this was very Good if you're nearby

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Wonderm said:

To add a new contender to the mix, we went NQ64 on Colquitt St last night and it's fucking decent. A Good row of consoles with everdrives (well, sd2snes), plenty of fighting cabs, and 4 linked Outrun 2006 machines too. Don't get back home much so can't vouch for Arcains but this was very Good if you're nearby

Cheers, I'll definitely give that a go next time I'm visiting my bro.