rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Revival

Kingpin: Reloaded

KingpinReloaded_Logo.png

Anyone remember this?

Publishers 3D Realms and Interplay, and developer Slipgate Ironworks have announced Kingpin: Reloaded, a remaster of the 1999-released first-person shooter Kingpin: Life of Crime. It will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC in 2020.

In a stylized noir art deco gangland that never was, the Kingpin rules above all else with a bloody fist. When his lieutenant Nikki Blanco leaves a no-name Thug battered and broken, the upstart criminal rises from a puddle of blood, lead pipe in hand and revenge in mind.

Kingpin: Reloaded brings new life to the Quake II engine classic. 4K resolution, ultrawide support, and improved graphics in Enhanced mode enable the beautifully-depicted metropolitan nightmare shine. Controller support makes the game more accessible for anyone who wants to explore the depths of Kingpin’s depravity. Overall improvements like new quest and conversation systems make Reloaded even better than the original.

Stalk lamp-lit streets and take down rival gangs to let the Kingpin know his end is nigh. Kingpin’s immersive sim elements allow the Thug to recruit other gangsters with a conversation system. Increase the Thug’s influence through multiple hub-based missions. Run with the gang on a violent warpath with upgradeable weapons including Tommy guns, bazookas, and more. Location-based damage leads to bloody, thrilling battles: kneecap, maim, or go for the head.

If that sounds too extreme, try No Violence mode. However, the “colorful” language proudly used by Kingpin’s gangsters remains. Lean even further into that era and start fragging in Gang Bang mode’s old-school multiplayer.

Key Features

Kingpin: Reloaded includes a range of new features:

Re-balanced and polished gameplay.

New quest system.

Ultrawide and 4K support.

Classic and Enhanced modes.

https://3drealms.com/catalog/kingpin-reloaded_171/

4e8353f995c94fa0875199a91d189431.png

976921a1af6f4e1ab0530b129f84e72a.png

• Upvote 1

I was instantly reminded of Old Man Murray's Crate Review System. Where a game would be reviewed according to how many seconds it was before you saw a crate.

http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/41.html

Kingpin

StC: -2 seconds (adjusted)
Notes:  You start the game staring at crates.   
Comments:
erik: Do I see crates and a flaming barrel?
Kevin: My calculations show that Kingpin should be penalized two seconds for that, making it quite possibly the worst game ever.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Loved that game. Cypress Hill on the soundtrack. 

Have they renewed the music rights then or are we going to get some production music on this? (Not that production music is a bad thing.)

The textures and audio files for this game could be accessed and edited using basic MS apps. Me and a mate re-recorded loads of the dialogue to make each other laugh.

It didn’t make it any better tbf.

At the time this wasn’t a bad fps game, but it’s main hook was the Lock-Stock/Pulp Fiction criminal aspect. Since then GTA has blown it out of the water really. I think Soldier of Fortune did that not long after. And Half-Life. The only other memory I have is of it starting pretty well and then becoming very repetitive later on.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Have they renewed the music rights then or are we going to get some production music on this? (Not that production music is a bad thing.)

Kingpin without Cypress Hill would be utterly pointless. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Fused gamer said:

I completed this when I got my new PC. I dunno, it was new and shiny. 

At the time, it was pretty tasty graphically, but beyond that there really wasn’t much to the story or gameplay; which makes a proposed re-release all the more odd. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I distinctly remember a PC mag I bought previewing this and Messiah. It's scary to think it was 20 years ago :unsure:

PC Zone proper loved it.

I was heavily involved in the one and only clan I ever participated in back in the day, just loved this game in multiplayer.  The rocket launcher was so satisfying.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, marcus said:

I was heavily involved in the one and only clan I ever participated in back in the day, just loved this game in multiplayer.  The rocket launcher was so satisfying.

I played a shit load of multiplayer back in the day too, it was great fun. I'm buy this for nostalgia's sake tbh, but I don't have great hopes of it being an amazing game these days.

• Downvote 1

the multiplayer was decent (Q2 netcode etc) and different to what else was on offer at the time (Q2/3 and CS). There was a brief flurry of clan leagues for Kingpin at the time as it got some mod support due to the Q2 engine I guess.

It didn't last. Not sure of the market for this remaster - at best you are aiming at people nearing 40 and beyond who want to relive their clan days by playing one of the least popular.

I fully expect a Star Trek Elite Force remaster next (also a brief flurry of clan action as I recall).

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I fully expect a Star Trek Elite Force remaster next (also a brief flurry of clan action as I recall).

Klingon Honor Guard or GTFO

I remember getting the demo as a teenager and being fascinated by the seedy atmosphere, the swearing and especially the location based damage. I stayed up too late playing it and had a really vivid dream that ended with me being blasted in the gut by a shotgun. I was most confused and distraught to find that the pain didn't dissipate on waking up. Eventually got myself together enough to realise I needed the bathroom, and after a big dump, all was well again.

I got the full game on GOG a couple of years ago and played for a bit, but there was no atmosphere at all and I had no resultant dreams. 

The feel of movement in games has changed so much over the years. The pinball combat with enemies strafing faster than a person can sprint just doesn't lend itself to any kind of serious tone and I don't see a remaster being anything but a total anachronism. An actual modern sequel could be pretty cool. Stuff like Saint's Row and GTA are so grandiose. I can see a niche for something with the low-key griminess this seemed to exude when it came out, but with mechanics to match.

• Upvote 5

I can remember going to see this at a local games shop as a showcase for the owner's new SLI Voodoo 2s. I recall the character silhouettes being indistinct and a bit wobbly.

There's probably a market for a stylised, Guy Ritchie style FPS. Although it's probably already been made. I know Sony have done a few PS3 and 4 games in that flavour.

Oh man, that game was poor on release. It looks even worse today, still has that weird looking through a bottle of beer effect.

• Upvote 1

It also looks like the laziest port I have ever seen. It’s like they took the windows 98 version and wrapped it in a current hardware mould.

The quest mode is going to be a blueprint of afterthoughts, with no reason of it being there. Lazy.

Kingpin was the first pc shooter I ever played. Viktor Antonov of HL2/Dishonored design fame worked on some of the levels too, there was a vaguely alternate history vibe going on with the atmosphere. I'll probably pick this up for old time's sake.