Jump to content
IGNORED

Is it time to ditch the consoles?


dumpster
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Revival No-one would design a system that's as lopsided as the One X from scratch. I expect the build I linked to would provide a much better gaming experience overall. If you set out wanting the PC build to look bad, of course it's not hard to make it look bad!

 

29 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Most often thats the fault of the developer. Patching broken games also occurs on consoles. 

 

It's much rarer for console releases to have such serious issues on launch though. I think it's partly an issue of priorities - PC gaming is bigger than ever, but still not as big as console gaming. Ports happen years after, and publishers see them as a nice way to get extra cash off a relatively small investment, not as a central part of their strategy. You might pay full price for a game which is basically a beta that might get fixed (see RDR2) or might not (see Arkham Knight).

 

I guess this also partly explains why refunds are so much easier to get on PC.

 

12 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Windows 10 is £89, not 110.

 

It also works fine if you don't activate it at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

If PCs had a Game Mode, eg. You booted up into game mode, no windows, no dash board just the games listed and when you clicked on them they started up with no fuss then maybe. But that's really just a console. PCs are still a bit too annoying to use for a quick ten minute game of something and in fact don't really offer that sort of gaming in a major way.

 

Stream's Big Picture Mode says hi.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Stevie said:

 

Windows 10 is £89, not 110. 

 

Anyhow heres a build from PCMR

 

CPUAMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor$119.99 @ Amazon

Motherboard*Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard$59.99 @ Newegg

Memory*Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory$32.99 @ Newegg

Storage*ADATA Ultimate SU800 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive$34.89 @ Amazon

StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive$44.99 @ Adorama

Video Card*XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card$159.99 @ Amazon

Case*Rosewill SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case$26.99 @ Amazon

Power Supply*Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply$53.98 @ Newegg

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts

Total$533.81, (£409.51)

 

 

 

That's fine if you live in America and can get those prices. The Ram should be 12gb of gddr5 not 8, The GPU should be the GDDR5 version not the bottom rung one. You have no control device, OS or 4K drive. This is all just to match a console made 2 years ago. How many of those parts are people buying a new PC this year genuinely going to choose?

 

I even forgot the storage device in my list

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Revival said:

 

A better CPU but inferior GPU and RAM to what's in the One X plus it's missing, OS, Controller/M&KB and a 4K drive.

 

Even that works out at around £635 and the Ram and GPU are worse than what I specced.

 

The Xbox One X has a rather unique memory spec and can't be easily matched on any commercially available modern PC components.

 

It has an abnormally wide memory bus and has memory bandwidth way above comparable PC graphics cards which enables it to punch above its weight.

 

I'd agree that you absolutely cannot build a brand new PC with a similar graphical quality and performance level for £300.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Stevie said:

 

Are you posting from 2005? Updates and the likes are literally solved by one click and is no hassle at all.  

Optimising settings doesn't seem to have been solved though. I have bought games on Steam recently and then has to adjust graphics options and screen size and stuff because it didn't match what I wanted, or the spec of my machine. 

PC gaming will always exist but I think it will remain a niche compared to consoles. I love PC gaming because of all the cheap old stuff and indie games, but new AAA stuff I prefer to buy on console because I know it will be optimised right out of the box. Does anyone buy a PC to play games like the latest FIFA or COD any more? Those aren't my favourite games either but we know they are what the mass market wants. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick question. Electricity wise which uses less power. A One/PS4 or the PC?

 

I've been wondering about this for a while and more since the fires, I like some of the fluff around PS4/XBox/PC gaming but I'm wondering if I should just switch to the Switch just on the grounds of saving power?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I've been almost exclusively a console gamer for the last 30 years and I'm starting to consider a change. A lot of it comes down to how much a good gaming PC would actually cost. If it's not much more than one of the next gen consoles I think I'd go for it. I reckon I'll still always prefer the simple user experience of consoles, but maybe the difference isn't so great there anymore and the sacrifice is worth it.

 

But a lot of this for me comes from writing about games and wanting to have access to more new releases, especially indie games. There's a ton of stuff that begins on PC as early access or as a full release before it comes to console (if at all), and having a PC would increase my options.

 

Yep, this is true for me too. I've actually bought a cheap Optiplex pc a year ago and used it to play retro games and older and indie Steam games on it (such as GRIS or Anachronox). Fantastic experience, more or less. There were some issues with Steam Big Picture from time to time.

It's basically the Steam library of older and indie games I'm after. I will still and probably always buy a new Playstation hardware though and play exclusives and current-gen titles on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Optimising settings doesn't seem to have been solved though. I have bought games on Steam recently and then has to adjust graphics options and screen size and stuff because it didn't match what I wanted, or the spec of my machine. 

PC gaming will always exist but I think it will remain a niche compared to consoles. I love PC gaming because of all the cheap old stuff and indie games, but new AAA stuff I prefer to buy on console because I know it will be optimised right out of the box. Does anyone buy a PC to play games like the latest FIFA or COD any more? Those aren't my favourite games either but we know they are what the mass market wants. 

 

Literally one click

 

opt.jpg.2820e71e2703ad8876de1bf6c3096266.thumb.jpg.6163714640eec316f742f317189a3796.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

If PCs had a Game Mode, eg. You booted up into game mode, no windows, no dash board just the games listed and when you clicked on them they started up with no fuss then maybe. But that's really just a console. 

 

Steam Big Picture is pretty much this. There's some settings allowing you to automatically start Big Picture mode at Windows startup, so it pretty much "boots into" BPM.

 

Regarding AAA titles being optimised right out of the box for consoles. The trouble I had with Borderlands 3 on PS4 tells a different story. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, bear said:

If I buy a Series X/PS5 this winter I'm still going to be able to play every game I had for the current generation, possibly better than before thanks to the new console having an SSD so they'll load quicker and the OS should be better. On top of that we've seen Microsoft and Sony regularly have quite good sales on their respective stores and Gamepass is a fantastic bargain. 

 

Has it been confirmed now that PS5 will be fully backwards-compatible?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

On the whole the benefits of console aren't what they used to be.
 

Console hardware is sold at a loss leader 

Yes they are .If anything benefits have increased as features get added . 
 

no it isn’t . hasnt been for ages . 

 

perfectly happy to continue buying dedicated consoles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Literally one click

 

*picture of geforce experience*

 

Not really very reliable from what I understand. Even built in "detect settings" buttons in games can be a bit hit and miss. There isn't really any substitute for tweaking things yourself, which not everyone enjoys.

 

As I said though, VRR should make this way less dicey, as the penalty for getting it wrong won't be nearly as severe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Quick question. Electricity wise which uses less power. A One/PS4 or the PC?

 

I've been wondering about this for a while and more since the fires, I like some of the fluff around PS4/XBox/PC gaming but I'm wondering if I should just switch to the Switch just on the grounds of saving power?

typically a pc will draw more , but there’s 101 things that contribute to your electricity consumption . Switching to a switch on the basis of reducing overall power consumption would be like blocking up one of the holes on a colander in order to reduce  the amount water it leaks. Indicative  list 

here

https://www.daftlogic.com/information-appliance-power-consumption.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Today, we have 4K big screen displays in the living room and PC prices have been falling. 

 

Graphics cards prices have been rising. Even if you discount the stupid bitcoin bubble price hike. Other parts are cheaper though, yeah.

 

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

If gaming solely existed on PC type hardware with OS updates, drivers, fannying round with game patches, needing a keyboard etc etc I'd give up on it totally.

 

Long live the Switch - its the only machine I need or use now.

 

This post is brought to you from 1998. 

 

Nobody manually installs OS updates, drivers, or game patches any more grandad. 

 

1 hour ago, Thwomp said:

I used to game on PC and gave it up, I just couldn't be arsed with the hassle. You buy a game on release and find that your combination of hardware causes shit frame rates or micro stuttering, and you have to wait for drivers to be released, or fanny about editing config files in wordpad. At least on consoles the worst case scenario is a 30gb day one patch.

 

As for game prices, I very rarely buy games on release. If I do though, The Game Collection sell most new releases for £38, which is reasonable. I never buy digital, those prices are a joke.

 

I literally can't remember the last time I edited a config file in wordpad, for anything outside of emulation (an enthusiasts hobby where half the fun is that it isn't user-friendly). 

 

It must have been at least five years ago.

 

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

If PCs had a Game Mode, eg. You booted up into game mode, no windows, no dash board just the games listed and when you clicked on them they started up with no fuss then maybe. But that's really just a console. PCs are still a bit too annoying to use for a quick ten minute game of something and in fact don't really offer that sort of gaming in a major way.

 

This is literally what Steam Big Picture is. Like, exactly how it works. With current SSDs PCs boot faster than consoles too.

 

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

PC gaming is an odd beast. Whenever someone says it's too complex and that they prefer gaming on simple consoles, everyone accusing them of living in the past. But then the thread for every big game that comes out on PC has pages of people struggling to get it running right.

 

Unless a game is terribly optimised, nobody should really have issues getting it running right using Nvidia's recommended settings tool. Part of the problem with PCs is that the settings are there to fiddle with, so people fiddle with them and try and run things at higher settings than their kit allows, then fall down a rabbit hole. If you want to just install and go, it is easy.

 

17 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Does anyone buy a PC to play games like the latest FIFA or COD any more? Those aren't my favourite games either but we know they are what the mass market wants. 

 

Yes, people play COD on PC :lol:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Stevie said:

 

Windows 10 is £89, not 110. 

 

Anyhow heres a build from PCMR

 

CPUAMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor$119.99 @ Amazon

Motherboard*Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard$59.99 @ Newegg

Memory*Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory$32.99 @ Newegg

Storage*ADATA Ultimate SU800 256 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive$34.89 @ Amazon

StorageWestern Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive$44.99 @ Adorama

Video Card*XFX Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS XXX ED Video Card$159.99 @ Amazon

Case*Rosewill SCM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case$26.99 @ Amazon

Power Supply*Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply$53.98 @ Newegg

Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts

Total$533.81, (£409.51)

 

 


 

Putting aside the fact a consumer in the UK can’t get those prices, how many families would buy this set up and assemble it compared with families who buy the consoles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nequests said:

I gave up on PC gaming because I found it too tempting to endlessly fiddle with settings and mods. Reckon I spent more time worrying about having the optimal set-up than actually playing the games, so I just went back to consoles. 

This is a big one for me. I already get FOMO trying to decide between picture quality and frame rate in XB1X games that offer a choice so to have almost infinite permutations to worry about would be too much for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

Quick question. Electricity wise which uses less power. A One/PS4 or the PC?

 

Definitely consoles. I wouldn't worry about this unless you just leave it on constantly though. Based on typical usage, we're probably talking a couple of pounds a year difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, alex3d said:

 

Steam Big Picture is pretty much this. There's some settings allowing you to automatically start Big Picture mode at Windows startup, so it pretty much "boots into" BPM.

 

21 minutes ago, Isaac said:

This is literally what Steam Big Picture is. Like, exactly how it works. With current SSDs PCs boot faster than consoles too.

 

I rarely game on a pc so these may be stupid questions but can i play epic game store exclusive games via steam big picture mode? What about hooking up an xbox controller, does that just work like a console or is it a per game basis? Is windows still running in the background, doing 'stuff'? What about patches, are they automatic in big picture mode or do i have to manage those? Can i chat to my friends easily in big picture mode via voice chat/invite friends easily?

 

I guess if any of those questions has a no then it's a faff again compared to a console. TBH the last great console experience (before the switch) was the gamecube. Disc in, turn on, boom in the game in under 5 seconds. Consoles now as you say are slow to load, bogged down with dashboards and movie stores and twitch and all sorts. Just putting in a game, boom it's playing is not really a thing now except for the switch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When I was in my late teens/20s I had the spare time and disposable income to spend a week researching what I needed to buy, a grand on parts, a few days putting it all together etc. Maybe when my daughter is older I would be able to justify doing it with her as an educational activity. These days my gaming time is limited to grabbing an hour here and there, in that narrow window of time between everyone else falling asleep and me starting to feel my eyelids getting heavy. I don't want to spend any time setting things up at all, I just want to pick up the controller , and for that to automatically switch on my TV, amp and speakers and put the game I am currently playing in front of me. In my experience that just still isn't possible with PC gaming. 

To be honest I think with streaming on the horizon, owing hardware will be a thing of the past soon, so my poor deprived little girl may never experience quality father/daughter PC-building time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Ketchup said:
  1. Can i play epic game store exclusive games via steam big picture mode?
  2. What about hooking up an xbox controller, does that just work like a console or is it a per game basis?
  3. Is windows still running in the background, doing 'stuff'?
  4. What about patches, are they automatic in big picture mode or do i have to manage those?
  5. Can i chat to my friends easily in big picture mode via voice chat/invite friends easily?

 

  1. Yes but you have to add them yourself, which I would say is probably impossible to do with just a controller. I've played games from the Origin store using Steam with big picture mode, I had to disable Origin's overlay for Steam's overlay to work, other than that no problems
  2. Xbox controllers are pretty much the de facto standard on PC. As long as the game has some sort of controller support, it will work flawlessly with an Xbone or 360 controller. Any XInput compliant controller will work though. Steam's excellent overlay also lets you easily use other types of controllers (e.g. PS4, Switch, or even Valve's discontinued but excellent Steam Controller) and remap things to your heart's content.
  3. Yes. Windows tries to be smart about not doing anything major if you're actually using the machine, but of course there is a certain baseline RAM usage even when it's not doing anything else. Don't leave a Chrome instance open with all your tabs, etc.
  4. As soon as you open Steam, it will check for updates. You can see what is downloading, what is queued, and pause / cancel / start downloads from big picture mode.
  5. The Steam Overlay (which you can open up using the central button) handles all this. Of course, that doesn't help you if all your mates have an Xbox.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think my point is  even if you did pay 500 - 600 quid for the PC, your ongoing fees are a lot less.  Mo monthly subscriptions to play online, games on Steam and Epic for pennies.  I was looking at some of the indie stuff earlier. Goose game for example, 17.99 on console, 1.99 on PC for the download code on eBay.  No idea whether that's legit, but you can pick up so many new releases on PC for cheap.  I follow @savygamer on twitter and it always gets my hopes up as i read 'Game I like, £9.99 (yay!) On PC (boo!)'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Liamness said:

 

  1. Yes but you have to add them yourself, which I would say is probably impossible to do with just a controller.

 

You can set up the touchpad on a Dualshock 4 to act as a mouse with left / right click. Alternatively, you can use a smart phone / tablet with an app like unified remote if you need a keyboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

When I was in my late teens/20s I had the spare time and disposable income to spend a week researching what I needed to buy, a grand on parts, a few days putting it all together etc. Maybe when my daughter is older I would be able to justify doing it with her as an educational activity. These days my gaming time is limited to grabbing an hour here and there, in that narrow window of time between everyone else falling asleep and me starting to feel my eyelids getting heavy. I don't want to spend any time setting things up at all, I just want to pick up the controller , and for that to automatically switch on my TV, amp and speakers and put the game I am currently playing in front of me. In my experience that just still isn't possible with PC gaming. 

To be honest I think with streaming on the horizon, owing hardware will be a thing of the past soon, so my poor deprived little girl may never experience quality father/daughter PC-building time. 


I was going to type a similar post. I had a gaming PC built around the end of the last generation and reaped all the benefits of cheap and diverse gaming mentimed on the OP.

 

Nowadays, being a parent with so little spare time to play games , I much prefer the convenience of booting up and playing via a console in short bursts,  knowing it won’t crash/ need an update or configuring to play/ work

properly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Does anyone buy a PC to play games like the latest FIFA or COD any more? Those aren't my favourite games either but we know they are what the mass market wants. 

 

The massmarket on PC doesn't really play those games, you can see what the massmarket on the PC plays if you look at what tops the revenue charts on platforms like STEAM. Fortnite, World of Warships/Tanks, CS: GO and League of Legends are more the PC equivalents, games which work better on Keyboard & Mouse and all are F2P, but raking in the money still. All the other huge games on PC come from Asia and nobody on here has heard of them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m geekier than most and absolutely couldn’t be bothered fucking about with PC gaming. Give me a box I can plug into a TV, turn on and it straight up works. Don’t have the time or inclination for anything more. If I feel this way the average person on the street will even more so, I get the idea behind this thread but it is totally disconnected from reality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

I think my point is  even if you did pay 500 - 600 quid for the PC, your ongoing fees are a lot less.  Mo monthly subscriptions to play online, games on Steam and Epic for pennies.  I was looking at some of the indie stuff earlier. Goose game for example, 17.99 on console, 1.99 on PC for the download code on eBay.  No idea whether that's legit, but you can pick up so many new releases on PC for cheap.  I follow @savygamer on twitter and it always gets my hopes up as i read 'Game I like, £9.99 (yay!) On PC (boo!)'

But your hardware fees are a one off . So you pay a one off fee for £400or whatever and it’s fixed for 7-8 years . You can’t say that for PC gaming . And £5-600 initial outlay is ambitious if you want something worthwhile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.