IGNORED

Is it time to ditch the consoles?

dumpster

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Yes. I certainly would be without them . No intention of buying a pc at all ., there is nothing it offers me . Certainly not for the money .  Sony exclusives  this gen For me have been magnificent. Probably the best of any generation . Nintendo , well . Nintendo games are  nintendo games . And the switch is utterly fantastic . 

There’s nothing consoles offer over PC, or each other really. They all play 90% of the same games and have identical features. One costs a bit more but works better, one costs a bit less. The days of meaningful exclusives seems to be melting away, and the idea that consoles are functionally easier to use seems to still be something a lot of people are desperate to believe in the face of evidence to the contrary. But generally this shit is all exactly the same. The idea from people in here that the PC is an objectively worse choice than a console because they read a letter complaining about drivers in a 1997 copy of PC Gamer is fucking stupid. But so is the idea that the massive majority of games that are designed to scale up from an Xbone CPU are any better on PC, outside of graphics. It’s all just the same.

Broker is fucking mental, OMG :lol:

Look, if you have a PS4, Switch or PC you can’t go wrong. Each of them have more hours of games worth playing than anybody should have free in their lives. Let’s not try to tell people that are happy with what they have that they are wrong, cos that is cunty. Let others enjoy their lives, move on from this shit and close the thread.

There's a tremendous amount of strawmen and just preciousness in this thread.

I read the OP as just asking if people on here who were like, technically minded and heavily into videogames might re-evaluate the pros and cons of their platform given even first-party exclusives going multiplatform. Like, the person who hadn't played on PC since 1998 and had some rather dated ideas about it might be exactly the person to reach there.

Instead there's lots of baffling replies, insisting it's trying "to kill the industry by making it inaccessible to a wider audience" (???) or Haribokart there reading it as a personal attack, and calling people "cunts" or "fucking mental" for even suggesting it, which I don't know how you'd possibly get to unless you were on some level of identifying with the brand of device you buy as personal identity far beyond even playground fanboyism.

16 minutes ago, Broker said:

There’s nothing consoles offer over PC, or each other really. 

There is for me . 
1. exclusive games In significant numbers and of significant quality .

2. Hardware cost

to each their own . I have no problem with people preferring a PC . If that works for them that’s fine . I’m fine with owning consoles and not a PC. 

29 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Sony exclusives  this gen For me have been magnificent. Probably the best of any generation . 

This is absolutely baffling to me. I can literally only think of Bloodborne.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks like it has a nice art style too, I guess.

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

This is absolutely baffling to me. I can literally only think of Bloodborne.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks like it has a nice art style too, I guess.

Last GUardian, Death stranding, Horizon, GT Sport, GoW, Spiderman, SotC blah blah blah

Different people have different tastes in games.  It's not that baffling mate.

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Last GUardian, Death stranding, Horizon, GT Sport, GoW, Spiderman, SotC blah blah blah

Different people have different tastes in games.  It's not that baffling mate.

Death Stranding is coming to PC, Horizon is too.

Just now, Fry Crayola said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that Pete likes God of War, Uncharted, Spiderman and Wipeout, and this strategy of deciding his own opinion shouldn't be a factor in his decision and that he should instead like some other games on PC isn't going to work.

Fair cop - I'm not suggesting he is wrong for liking those games, but that it is a bit of a stretch to claim that they are "the best exclusives of any generation". But that's his opinion, I guess.

I think I do agree with the general thrust of this thread that with games being pretty much all multiplatform now (and the rumours of Sony first party games coming to PC) then it really doesn't matter any more what you play games on.

24 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

Broker is fucking mental, OMG :lol:

Look, if you have a PS4, Switch or PC you can’t go wrong. Each of them have more hours of games worth playing than anybody should have free in their lives. Let’s not try to tell people that are happy with what they have that they are wrong, cos that is cunty. 

Nice double standards.

So does Xbox ffs but you left that out because 'you're being cunty' or just totally ignorant.

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Death Stranding is coming to PC, Horizon is too.

Horzizon is three years old. Its been exclusive for a considerable length of time I played DS last year. I couldn;t do that on PC.

The PS4 for me has been the best machine i  have ever owned in terms of quality of games, and an awful lot of those have been exclusive to that platform .

5 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest that Pete likes God of War, Uncharted, Spiderman and Wipeout, and this strategy of deciding his own opinion shouldn't be a factor in his decision and that he should instead like some other games on PC isn't going to work.

No one did this.

Just now, Revival said:

Nice double standards.

So does Xbox ffs but you left that out because 'you're being cunty' or just totally ignorant.

I think he left out Xbox because if you own a PC you have more crossover in game titles than you do with Switch/PS4.

3 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

Horzizon is three years old. Its been exclusive for a considerable length of time I played DS last year. I couldn;t do that on PC.

The PS4 for me has been the best machine i  have ever owned in terms of quality of games, and an awful lot of those have been exclusive to that platform .

Fair enough - for me all of the Sony exclusives look bland and boring.

I'm perfectly happy playing pretty much every other game available on my PC (including basically every game ever made with Retroarch) with a Switch to play Nintendo exclusives and Indie games portably or on flights etc.

There is nothing on either the PS4 or the Xbox that interests me - I play AAA titles and retro games on PC, and indie / Nintendo titles on Switch.

1 minute ago, Isaac said:

I'm perfectly happy playing pretty much every other game available on my PC, with a Switch to play Nintendo exclusives and Indie games portably or on flights etc.

There is nothing on either the PS4 or the Xbox that interests me.

Horses for courses:) A well specced PC is a fantastic games platform, of course it is. I think I disgaree mostly with the premise that we need to "ditch" consoles and buy PCs. I think you should buy the platforms that align with your preferences.

28 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Okay mate that’s you, but seeing as a lot of those games appeared in GOTY lists the year they came out it’s not exactly some weird mental opinion he has is it?

1 minute ago, KriessG said:

So PC’s can’t do HDR easily, is that correct?

Yes and no.

It is getting better, but Windows was extremely slow to implement OS-level HDR, mainly because most PC monitors weren't HDR for a very, very long time. 

They have now done this, and all newer games typically use HDR based on whether it has been switched on in Windows or not, but unfortunately there was a period of about four years where it was ad-hoc and sometimes the games that have used other solutions for HDR conflict with the windows setting and it's all a big mess.

To compound this, Windows doesn't let you switch on HDR if the monitor you are using doesn't support HDR, even if you are streaming to a TV that does support HDR. This is the current mess.

It will be fine from this year onwards, given that HDR support amongst PC monitors is on the up and up, but yes, it was a bit of a clusterfuck for a while.

I would add that HDR isn't even simple in TV world, given that we currently have three competing standards, not all are supported across all TVs, and it's not yet clear how that will shake out with the next generation of machines.

25 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I would add that HDR isn't even simple in TV world, given that we currently have three competing standards, not all are supported across all TVs, and it's not yet clear how that will shake out with the next generation of machines.

Well, pretty much everything supports HDR10, and that seems to be the standard consoles have gone for.

More problematic is the varying quality of implementation, from the sublime GT Sport, which is the best I have ever seen, to the ridiculous RDR2, which is just pointless.

2 hours ago, KriessG said:

In terms of gaming right now though you just plug your console into a HDR TV and it should work.

Which is an advantage consoles have in all things, single target.

It's why things like Direct X were so important to at least mitigate the million configs PCs can have.

I mentioned it on a Yesterzine but my favourite example of all time was that Disney's Lion King constantly crashed only on one specific Cirrus Logic graphics card they shipped with Compaq Presario desktops.

This would have been fine, but the pack in games title for those Compaq Presario desktops was Disney's Lion King.

Just doing some ad-hoc research and I think I might be wrong on one of my key points;

Do PC games still launch noticeably cheaper than console, and do they fall in  price more quickly?  As a console gamer i get the impression that PC games are significantly cheaper, but a quick look on steam at new releases this weekend show they are much the same price?