rllmuk
skittles

Essential local multiplayer games

I just spend my Sunday afternoon playing a few hours of local multiplayer with 4 other friends and it was absolutely fantastic. Proper nostalgia of the N64 era.

Side story but @Jackson and I grew up together playing video games and when we caught up for drinks when I was back in the UK over xmas, instead of me getting the last train home back to my parents like a sensible man, he invited me back to his place to play some video games and do a classic sleepover. At 32 years old, I of course said yes. First of all it was absolutely brilliant to catch up, see his (gaming) rig but also, see how he's developed as a video-gamer.. Well we played smash, mario kart, super-monkey ball and one other that I don't recall and he absolutely smoked me on all of them. Considering I rate myself as a gamer and this was my school gaming friend I was of course devastated. Went to sleep (on the floor) a defeated man but woke up invigorated to get some wins back. We played again and I smoked him in all. Conclusion: @Jackson is a great gamer when wasted and I am better when sober. GG sir.

My friends here are determined to make local multiplayer a regular thing, so I'm making this thread to collate some essential games that should be on the roster for competitive/co-operative/pass the controller high score games.  Please share your best ones for everyone to check out. :)

Competitive games

Smash Bros - Switch

Towerfall - Switch

Tetris/puyo puyo - Switch

Mario Kart - Switch

Co-operative games

Overcooked / Moving out - Switch

Rocket league - Switch

Pass the controller high score games

• Upvote 4

I'll try and keep it to the very best, as this area of games is one of my (gaming) passions so we play a fair whack.

Competitive:

Nidhogg 

Tricky Towers

Mashed

Clusterpuck 99

Hidden In Plain Sight

Worms (any of the better 2D games)

Smash Bros Ultimate

Mount Your Friends

Mario Kart 8

Ultimate Chicken Horse

NintendoLand

GangBeasts

Starwhal

Runners up:

Wand Wars

Lethal League

Golf With Friends/Golf It

Toybox Turbos

Micro Machines V3

SuperGrav

StickFight: The Game

Party Jousting

SpeedRunners

• Upvote 4

I’d second Heave Ho

Also found Don’t Die Mr Robot DX to be surprisingly good passing the controller round and taking it in turns to complete each stage. 

Here's a link to a post I did in September after a local play day which may be useful.

Out of all of those the absolute essentials are definitely Heave-Ho, Ultimate Chicken Horse, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Towerfall

• Upvote 2

Push me Pull you

Keep talking and nobody explodes (VR)

....And maybe cheating a little, but obvious

Any fighter of your preference

FIFA

Viruta Racing

Can we start another category please?

2 player co op games that are easy to pick up for the other half who doesn't really do games but has shown an interest recently. Ideally on the Switch

I'm currently thinking Overcooked and Lego Harry Potter (she likes Harry Potter) but I haven't actually played either of them. Are they both suitable to play with beginner gamers? Is there anything else non competitive worth looking at?

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

Wtf, Pac-Man Vs. came to the Switch?!

Yeah - it's part of Namco Museum. You need 2 Switches to replicate the GC version, but you can play on one Switch with up to 3 players against a CPU Pac-Man.

• Upvote 2

The COD games can be a lot of fun in local split screen, humans vs each other or a load of bots (or you can go online together). They all have 2 player, I think the last one to support 4-player split screen was BLOPS3, which was free with PS+ a while back. If you have that, it's a blast in local MP.

12 minutes ago, spork said:

2 player co op games that are easy to pick up for the other half who doesn't really do games but has shown an interest recently. Ideally on the Switch

I'm currently thinking Overcooked and Lego Harry Potter (she likes Harry Potter) but I haven't actually played either of them. Are they both suitable to play with beginner gamers? Is there anything else non competitive worth looking at?

This is probably its own thread. I've found that 2D or fixed-camera games are your best bet for absolute beginners, controlling a camera with a second stick is absolutely not intuitive for people who haven't grown up playing games.

21 minutes ago, spork said:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (up to 4p, very chilled on easier settings)

Super One More Jump (coop game about timing - up to 4p)

Towerfall (yes it really shines as up to a 6p competive game, but the coop is good too)

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe  (up to 4p, one player can play the invulnerable to enemies Nabbit - great for my youngest)

Mario Odyssey (2p coop that's great for your other half to play)

Kirby Star Allies (very simple easy platformer - nice to breeze through in coop)

And more:

Competitive games

Astro Bears (simple, but great)

Runbow (up to 8p on one Switch - running and jumping game)

Astro Duel Deluxe (like 4p Asteroids)

Crawl

Party Golf

Fantasy Strike (fighting game that's easy to pick up)

Also, as a random aside I've got some love for Nine Parchments. It's not the best made game ever, but it's sort of like Diablo with up to 4p. It's a great game for 4 mates to chill, talk and do spells on a big screen. It's regularly on sale (like now) for around a fiver.

• Upvote 2

Overcooked is stressful. It's fine on the earlier levels but once you get to the earthquake and moving levels it can be very stressful if the other player doesn't really know what they are doing. 

Overcooked is very stressful. Up to you if that's fun, I guess! Me and the wife like it, but I can only do a couple of rounds at a time.

If you've ever been a chef (or just a dishpig) it immediately strikes you how much Overcooked mirrors the fury of the ki- WHERE ARE THE PLATES? I NEED THAT SALAD IN ONE MINUTE, NOW!

• Upvote 4

Laser League

Lethal League

Children of Morta (2ply)

Renegade Ops

Akane (High Score)

Edited by Couch Corpse

23 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Renegade Ops

This needs a Switch version. 

• Upvote 1

Hidden in Plain Sight

The only game where every single person I've shown it to gets into it, instantly, without fail.

• Upvote 8

Web-enabled devices are a prerequisite (basically anything that can connect to wi-fi and open a browser, even an iPod Touch) but the Jackbox Party Pack games are fun local multiplayer things. :) You can either go for a collection or individual titles - Quiplash, Fibbage and Drawful are particularly fun.

https://jackboxgames.com/party-pack/

• Upvote 1

Despite being published by Nintendo, The Stretchers went largely ignored last year. Rude.

DEATH TANK ZWEI

Spoiler

it's amazing... but yeah it's probably not easy to get the required stuff - saturn/multitap/up to 7 pads/quake/duke nukem (i think those are the right games?) not sure if the 360 version is any good these days.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, spork said:

It doesn’t do the best job of explaining its very simple mechanics, but I played a lot of Super Chariot in co-op over Christmas and really enjoyed it. You’ll have the hang of it in 30 minutes at most.

It does seem to be fairly lengthy though, which might not be what you’re after. I think after 3 hours of play we’d done about 15%.

• Upvote 1

Human fall flat which is only 2P co op but it's a lot of fun and provided an unintended genuine occasion for me to do a "see you at the party, richter" tribute moment. Although unfortunately you can't rip limbs off.