rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Anne Summers

Films from not that long ago that seem a bit "off" these days

Trading Places - that was definitely the point.

Dennis Hopper's speech to Christopher Walken - that was one of the worse things I was referring to, and yes it *is* a deliberate attempt by that character to provoke (not just trailer trash being dumb) - Clarence Hurley is definitely not intended to be portrayed as coming from the dregs of society. The revelation that he's a bit of an unhinged lunatic is a twist, not something you're supposed to expect...

46 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

I watched Poltergeist for the first time recently and there were a few things in it that were a bit odd. It's heavily implied that the Dad was a nonce and that he was noncing his wife when she was 15 or 16. This might have been a plot point I missed but I think it was meant for the Dads in the audiance to think 'nicccce'.  And there's loads of weird bits with builders in the house leering at the teenage daughter - I think she's meant to be 15 or something. And they're all 'yeah, I'd love a slice of that'. And her parents just laugh and close the curtains. 

I’ll, sort of, give you the bit with the builders, but I don’t remember them saying anything like that, or are you just saying it’s implied? She does give them the middle finger though, which shuts them up.

I’ve honestly never noticed the bit about the dad being a nonce though and I’ve seen it loads of times. When does that happen?

13 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ll, sort of, give you the bit with the builders, but I don’t remember them saying anything like that, or are you just saying it’s implied? She does give them the middle finger though, which shuts them up.

I’ve honestly never noticed the bit about the dad being a nonce though and I’ve seen it loads of times. When does that happen?

There's a bit when she's being interviewed by the ghost investigators. And she says she's 32 years old and her daughter is 16. So her daughter was born when she was 16 and in the film her husband does look a bit older than her. I'm reading between the lines here but her husband must have been noncing her when she was 15 or so. 

I love Top Gun but it qualifies for this thread on many counts!!!!!  

The one that stands out though is Maverick following Charlie into the ladies toilets, to warn her off another guy.:unsure:

The male gaze is starting to date films as recently as the 00’s.

Supposedly The Hangover has a “paging doctor fag” joke and that was 2009? I know that from an Aziz Ansari stand-up bit.

I watched Young Frankenstein recently due to everyone hailing it as a comedy classic. It was rather jarring to realise that there's what seems to be a prominent gag about rape in the middle of the movie.

Not a film but the TV show Little Britain has aged appallingly. It’s like watching something straight out of the 70s, complete with jokes about disabled people, gay jokes, transgender jokes, and even blackface FFS. It was on TV until 2006, how the hell are Lucas and Walliams even still working?

The Boat The Rocked has a rapey swap-the-boyfriend bit that was off even when it was released. Richard Curtis has a track record of dodgy stalky, rapey characters.

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

Not a film but the TV show Little Britain has aged appallingly. It’s like watching something straight out of the 70s, complete with jokes about disabled people, gay jokes, transgender jokes, and even blackface FFS. It was on TV until 2006, how the hell are Lucas and Walliams even still working?

To be fair it was shit at the time, it's Mrs Browns Boys levels of sophistication. Though this really jars with Walliams reinventing himself as a kids author, he's like a poundshop Roald Dahl. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stevie said:

High Plains Drifter. The hero (Clint Eastwood) rapes a woman. Yes that’s right, rape.

As uncomfortable as that is - and it is- I  never thought you were supposed to believe that  Eastwoods character was a "good " person , he's a vengeful spirit out to gain revenge on the town that wronged him.

• Upvote 2

Ghostbusters

By today's standards, Venkman is a sleazy scumbag who'd get #MeToo'd by most of his female students and clients. Plus even by 1984 standards, paying a member of your team $11,500pa to deal with the mindfucking shit the job entails is just straight up bullshit.

• Upvote 3

Meet Joe Black was on over the weekend, and Claire Forlani's seduction of Brad Pitt struck me as highly questionable.

Pitt's character spends the entire film gazing about in wonderment, having no comprehension of social cues and spooning peanut butter out of jars - Forlani's character has to assume that he's suffering from some developmental problem that impacts on his ability to meaningfully consent to sex, yet she kisses him with very little warning (Pitt's character freezes up at this point) undresses him (he continues to be completely passive) and then, to a rousing orchestral score, rides him like Seabiscuit.

A gender-swapped version of this scene paints a problematic picture.

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Kodamarama said:

It's a bit jarring when you re-watch Big, and a grown woman has sex with child-in-a-man's body Tom Hanks (playing Josh Baskin).

Yes it is! So weird.

3 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I watched Young Frankenstein recently due to everyone hailing it as a comedy classic. It was rather jarring to realise that there's what seems to be a prominent gag about rape in the middle of the movie.

I don't remember this bit. What happens?

5 hours ago, Darwock said:

Trading Places - that was definitely the point.

- Clarence Hurley is definitely not intended to be portrayed as coming from the dregs of society. The revelation that he's a bit of an unhinged lunatic is a twist, not something you're supposed to expect...

The two aren't necessarily tied together mate. We see his Dad is living in a trailer, its implied is an alcoholic and the Mum isn't around, and he leers at his Sons wife. 

I don't expect poor people to be unhinged lunatics. But that might be because I'm from poverty. 

The pop culture detective YouTube channel has a load of these and I think they're all very good

He has a fair few others but didn't want to post his whole playlist.

It's certain things like this that really makes you realise how strange it is that the majority of movies you watch in the west are all written and directed etc by white blokes and no one along the way thought any of it was odd either. 

Then inadvertently, this (probably unintentional to give some leeway) sexism, homophobia and so on, is often passed on without anyone realising. 

I find the strangest thing to be that some people just baulk at it completely and deny it's existence when it's right there on the screen if you look at it with a slightly different perspective. Normally only that of not a white western bloke, which you'd think wouldn't be too much of a stretch. 

• Upvote 7

I watched some of Couples Retreat on TV several months ago and there's a scene where Jon Favreau's character is getting a massage. He gets a boner and propositions the masseuse to wank him off. She's not having it and he blames her for the whole situation, claiming "You got me all backed up!"

Then I realised it was made as recently as 2009 and changed channel.

Re Trading Places - not sure about that.  Sure, it does have racism, but that is the point - the Dukes are racist cunts.  In my mind, "films from not that long ago that seem a bit 'off' these days" seems to be more about films where dodgy-by-today's-standards things happen that seemed to encourage the audience to either act dismissive or they play it for laughs, bits like casual misogynistic behaviour or rapey jokes, etc.

Ghostbusters - definitely.  Peter Venkman comes across as a total perverted dickhead when watching it in 2020.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, John Edward Gammell said:

1970s Hong Kong cinema laughs at most of these. 

Although that's a fair point, cynthia rothrock barely got any recognition outside of Hong Kong cinema and she was a genuinely good martial artist and could act certainly well enough for who her peers in Hollywood would have been. 

P.s. yes I know she's more 80s 

3 hours ago, lolly said:

As uncomfortable as that is - and it is- I  never thought you were supposed to believe that  Eastwoods character was a "good " person , he's a vengeful spirit out to gain revenge on the town that wronged him.

I'm not entirely sure I agree with you. It could be bad (Eastwood) vs evil (the people he kills) but I reallt perceive it as Eastwood being the good guy. It would be interesting to have read the reviews back in 1973 when the film was released. 

2 hours ago, Camel said:

I don't remember this bit. What happens?

The monster assaults a woman off-screen and it implies that she starts to like it just because he's got a big penis. 

It could be a direct parody of an old monster movie I've not seen but it's still a bit unsettling.

2 hours ago, ryanm said:

Meet Joe Black was on over the weekend, and Claire Forlani's seduction of Brad Pitt struck me as highly questionable.

Pitt's character spends the entire film gazing about in wonderment, having no comprehension of social cues and spooning peanut butter out of jars - Forlani's character has to assume that he's suffering from some developmental problem that impacts on his ability to meaningfully consent to sex, yet she kisses him with very little warning (Pitt's character freezes up at this point) undresses him (he continues to be completely passive) and then, to a rousing orchestral score, rides him like Seabiscuit.

A gender-swapped version of this scene paints a problematic picture.

It's Brad Pitt, though. 

59 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

The monster assaults a woman off-screen and it implies that she starts to like it just because he's got a big penis. 

It could be a direct parody of an old monster movie I've not seen but it's still a bit unsettling.

I can forgive it that for the blind man scene. Gene Hackman ladling soup in to the monsters lap does for me every time.

Also "What hump?"

God, I love Young Frankenstein. Had totally forgotten about that part.

It's meant to be a parody. If that part isn't directly referencing something, does the whole thing being a parody still make it acceptable? I can't decide.

26 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I can forgive it that for the blind man scene. Gene Hackman ladling soup in to the monsters lap does for me every time.

Also "What hump?"

Also:

Werewolf?

There wolf.