rllmuk
kerraig UK

Cinemas lowest point.

59 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

I'll see your 1986 and raise you 2003:

IMG_20200123_093107.thumb.jpg.55b111eb87fd553a2af1cb913634b6ba.jpg

Has Elf so wins best year.

Yes, Master and Commander having such shamefully low US box office earnings during 2003 is indeed one of the lowest points in cinema history.

• Upvote 3

I really wish Master & Commander had become a big franchise. instead of Marvel if that's the monkey's paw wish necessary, I don't care.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 05.14.47.png

I probably like all these films apart from Legal Eagles & Ruthless People (not seen them) and Police Academy 3.

I’d probably still watch Police Academy 3 if it was on the telly. But I’d watch Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach if it came on the telly, so hey ho.

I watch ITV4 quite a bit.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, milko said:

I really wish Master & Commander had become a big franchise. instead of Marvel if that's the monkey's paw wish necessary, I don't care.

It took about a quarter of the Box Office of Pirates of The Caribbean - the other big seafaring film that year. Which pretty much sunk the franchise. Real pity. 

At least the 1986 movies are fairly varied. You have flying planes, doing karate, being australian, saving the whales, coming of age/seeing a dead body, getting away from her you bitch and Cobra. 

The 2019 equivalent would be Joker, Underpants Heros Man, Disney Live Action Remake and nothing else

• Upvote 7

6 hours ago, milko said:

I've bought it multiple times in various formats.

Love that film. 

Bettany is just amazing. Everything is amazing.

Why can't we have more good films?

2 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

At least the 1986 movies are fairly varied. You have flying planes, doing karate, being australian, saving the whales, coming of age/seeing a dead body, getting away from her you bitch and Cobra. 

The 2019 equivalent would be Joker, Underpants Heros Man, Disney Live Action Remake and nothing else

And Joker is a attempted remake/tribute/warmed over Marty S. remember.

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

I probably like all these films apart from Legal Eagles & Ruthless People (not seen them) and Police Academy 3.

I’d probably still watch Police Academy 3 if it was on the telly. But I’d watch Police Academy 5: Assignment Miami Beach if it came on the telly, so hey ho.

I watch ITV4 quite a bit.

I love Ruthless People, stupid but fun film. Plus Helen Slater. :wub:

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

I love Ruthless People, stupid but fun film. Plus Helen Slater. :wub:

I can sing the song of Ruthless People. The lyrics are literally

"Hey Stand up
Ruthless People
Hey what you sayin?"

No, really

49 minutes ago, Festoon said:

I've bought it multiple times in various formats.

Love that film. 

Bettany is just amazing. Everything is amazing.

Why can't we have more good films?

Peter Weir retired without being a household name. Which is a crime. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

name and post sync plus one

7 hours ago, milko said:

Coincidentally, we re-watched Master and Commander last weekend for the first time in fifteen or so years and it remains as enjoyable now as it was then. I also found myself feeling rather disappointed that it never received a sequel. Russell Crowe was on a real roll back then with LA Confidential, The Insider, Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind in the five or six years prior to M&C's release..

4 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Coincidentally, we re-watched Master and Commander last weekend for the first time in fifteen or so years and it remains as enjoyable now as it was then. I also found myself feeling rather disappointed that it never received a sequel. Russell Crowe was on a real roll back then with LA Confidential, The Insider, Gladiator and A Beautiful Mind in the five or six years prior to M&C's release..

He campaigned Weir for years to try and get him to make another.

16 minutes ago, Mike S said:

M&C is a stone cold fucking masterpiece of which we will never see the likes again

12 minutes ago, Festoon said:

He campaigned Weir for years to try and get him to make another.

It's a real pity that they never made it happen as back at release I assumed it was a shoe-in for a sequel or two given ho many books there are. The endless Pirates of the fucking Caribbean movies just add insult to injury...

1 minute ago, kerraig UK said:

M&C is a stone cold fucking masterpiece of which we will never see the likes again

It really is.

However, I am sure we will see another period maritime masterpiece some time in the future given that everything comes around.  Eventually.

8 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It really is.

However, I am sure we will see another period maritime masterpiece some time in the future given that everything comes around.  Eventually.

Loaded with CGI and shot wherever the best tax incentives are.

4 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Loaded with CGI and shot wherever the best tax incentives are.

I'm not really bothered where a film is shot if the end result is of decent quality although, yeah, I think it highly unlikely that any hypothetical future film would would make such use of full scale sets let alone sail a full size ship to somewhere like the Galapagos. As for CGI, again, if it is of a sufficient quality and the final result is good then I wouldn't be too bothered even if it means not filming on location. Let's not forget that Master & Commander had plenty of digital work to stitch the sets and miniatures together..

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

It's a real pity that they never made it happen as back at release I assumed it was a shoe-in for a sequel or two given ho many books there are. The endless Pirates of the fucking Caribbean movies just add insult to injury...

Half of the reason I didn't like it as much as I almost did was I thought it was too much of a setup for sequels. Which then never happened :(