rllmuk
Soulstar

Retro Game Club: Feb 2020 (POLL OPEN VOTE NOW!)

Retro Game Club February Poll (Closes 01/02/2020 midday)  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last month we had a fair few ideas for the nominations toward the poll, and all of those will return again for a second chance next month, however I now need some new ones. As usual for anyone wishing to drop in a title they’d like to throw in the mix of a game selection that could end up in the poll, please do so here. It’s currently the 23rd so you have about 4 days or so before I get the poll together. 

The poll will take place in this thread but the game itself will have its own dedicated place to avoid cross talk. Seems to be working so far. 

Pick you one new game choice...

• Upvote 1

Of course DeDeDe and after compiling both lists together from last month's nominations and this month's, it's also given me an idea of maybe including those games which appear in both month's (after being re-nominated) lists as two entries in the selection process, therefore increasing the chance of it being selected. If anyone's curious as to what I'm using to pick the games used for the poll. It's this https://www.textfixer.com/tools/random-choice.php

Here are the lists

Jan Nominations

Super Star Wars
Space Taxi
Um Jammer Lammy
Robocop
Toy Bizarre
Cosmic Smash
Herdy Gerdy
Micro Machines 96
Dr Mario
Bomb Jack

Feb Nominations
Super Star Wars
Action in New York/S.C.A.T. 
Rod-Land
Heart of Darkness
Super Mario World
Green Beret
Um Jammer Lammy

Bomb Jack

Will be back shortly with the 6 that make it through to the new Feb game poll. 

Okaaaayyyyyy! so the Random Generator has spoken and the poll gates are now open and ready. 

1. Rush 'n Attack aka Green Beret (1985) Multiplatforms (listed below)

ab027bde13215aab769ae6cb6d8c9a2c.jpg

Cover Art

786f727c181106680d79fdebd69f8c6a.gif

Nes Version

tumblr_omkyxzhtmL1r7sijxo1_1280.gif

GBA Version

Rush'n Attack, originally released in Japan and Europe as Green Beret (グリーンベレー, Gurīn Berē), is a run and gun arcade game released by Konami in 1985.[2] Rush'n Attack is remembered for its Cold War setting (the title is a play on "Russian attack") and its reliance on the player using a knife to dispatch enemies. It seems to be available on a tonne of platforms including Arcade, Nintendo Entertainment System, Family Computer Disk System, PlayChoice-10, ZX Spectrum, Commodore Plus/4, Commodore 64, Amstrad CPC, Atari 8-bit, BBC Micro, MSX, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360 (Xbox Live Arcade), Mobile phones, Thomson computers. 

2. Action in New York aka S.C.A.T. aka Final Mission (1990-92) NES

S.C.A.T._-_Special_Cybernetic_Attack_Tea

Cover Art

021027.png

hqdefault.jpg

S.C.A.T.: Special Cybernetic Attack Team, also known as Final Mission (ファイナルミッション, Fainaru Misshon) in Japan and Action in New York in Europe and Australia,[1] is a science fiction side-view shoot-'em-up produced by Natsume for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Within PAL-A[permanent dead link] regions, the game was only released in the UK.[2] It was released in Japan in 1990, in North America in 1991, and in the PAL region in 1992. It was also later released on the Virtual Console in the PAL region on February 4, 2011, in North America on February 7, 2011 for the Wii and in the PAL region on December 4, 2014 for the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. 

Essentially this looks like Gradius meets Contra. 

3. Cosmic Smash (2001) Dreamcast & Arcade

Cosmic-Smash-pal---front-me.jpg

Cover Artwork

cosmicsmash3-thumb-400x300.jpg

31921-menu-Cosmic-Smash.jpg

Cosmic Smash (コズミックスマッシュ) is an arcade game that was later ported to the Dreamcast console. It is a futuristic combination of squash and Breakout, and is a single player game. It is one of the few Dreamcast games to be released in a DVD-style case, rather than a jewel case.

4. Super Mario World (1990-91) SNES & GBA

71TbLYKMk4L._SX425_.jpg

Cover Art

6_2nd6.gif

giphy.gif

One of the most well known platformers ever originating on the SNES and a GBA port I never knew about until now. I don't really need to say much and the Wiki info is rather long. 

5. Space Taxi (1984) C64

Space_Taxi_cover.jpg

Cover Art

space-taxi_6.png

Space+Taxi+1.jpg

Space Taxi is an action game for the Commodore 64 written by John Kutcher and published by Muse Software in 1984.[1] It simulates a flying taxi controlled by thrusters. The game uses sampled speech, including "Hey taxi!," "Pad one please," "Thanks," and "Up please." These are said in a variety of voice pitches, creating the feeling of different taxi customers.

6. Toy Bizarre (1984) Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum

65427-toy-bizarre-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Cover Art

toy-bizarre_5.png

c64-toy-bizarre-screen.png

This was chosen for the previous poll and made it through again for a second appearance. I've added a few new screen shots and included the cover art. 

Enough to muse over for the next few days and think about what should be next. I think the picker must be actively avoiding Star Wars. 

• Upvote 1

On 28/01/2020 at 19:39, Droo said:

Cosmic smash looks ace but I can’t seem to find it cheap anywhere...

Yeah Cosmic Smash does look cool. I'd probably have to emulate it if there's no other way of getting it. I'm not sure what to go for yet myself but I'm kinda toying between Green Beret and Action in New York. 

Green Beret wins!

I think this was once a competition game on Lemon64’s forums, but I don’t think I spent much time with it. Hopefully it holds my attention more than Shadow Dancer did! :blush: