rllmuk
BadgerFarmer

Journey to the Savage Planet - 28/01/2020 - PC, XBox1, PS4

So this is out next week. Explore an alien planet from first person perspective, deal with its wildlife, craft new gear and find a way to leave. Do it with another player in online co-op if you want.

Basically, it's kind of like Metroid Prime, but more colouful and silly. Price is £25.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

This is chap from the Edge column right?

Good luck!

I'd forgotten about that. But yeah, that's the one.

I've enjoyed reading the guy's Edge column, but I can't say I'm in a rush to run out and buy the game. I've got a feeling that people will think it looks a bit too similar to other games released relatively recently. Outer Wilds, Outer Worlds and No Man's Sky all spring to mind. Still, I hope it does well. I may just download it anyway to show my support.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I've enjoyed reading the guy's Edge column, but I can't say I'm in a rush to run out and buy the game. I've got a feeling that people will think it looks a bit too similar to other games released relatively recently. Outer Wilds, Outer Worlds and No Man's Sky all spring to mind. Still, I hope it does well. I may just download it anyway to show my support.

I wouldn’t worry about showing your support - they’ve been bought out by Google.

Review embargo has passed. So far quite mixed results, although Eurogamer like it:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-27-journey-to-the-savage-planet-review-a-genuinely-funny-toybox-to-explore

I'm surprised there isn't more positivity about it overall though. I'm doing a review for print and have been playing it for the last couple of weeks, and I think it's great. It really is a lot like Metroid Prime in many ways, with the exploring an alien planet, and the scanning, and the various upgrades. But a less combat focused.

For me, it's proper comfort gaming. Just getting out there exploring, experimenting and discovering stuff. It doesn't do that much that's really new, but I enjoyed it throughout.

• Upvote 1

I thought this was co-op but it seems it isn't?

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

I thought this was co-op but it seems it isn't?

It is. I saw a video on my Xbox showing just that.

7 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, 2-player online co-op.

Sorry, I meant single screen. That doesn't seem to be the case. PS4 specifically if that matters.

This looks neat. This close after day day probably means It'll get bought.

I need something to tear me away from Path of Exile.

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

Sorry, I meant single screen. That doesn't seem to be the case. PS4 specifically if that matters.

Yeah, it's definitely only online.

7 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Yeah, it's definitely only online.

Boo. Still interested, but substantially less so now :(

2 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

Review embargo has passed. So far quite mixed results, although Eurogamer like it:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-27-journey-to-the-savage-planet-review-a-genuinely-funny-toybox-to-explore

I'm surprised there isn't more positivity about it overall though. I'm doing a review for print and have been playing it for the last couple of weeks, and I think it's great. It really is a lot like Metroid Prime in many ways, with the exploring an alien planet, and the scanning, and the various upgrades. But a less combat focused.

For me, it's proper comfort gaming. Just getting out there exploring, experimenting and discovering stuff. It doesn't do that much that's really new, but I enjoyed it throughout.

Honestly for me the aesthetic is quite unappealing. Which, while shallow I know, is the only thing you can go on when looking at screens and videos.

It's a shame that it didn't break the 80% barrier on Metacritic. Looking through the review headlines, a lot of them sound very positive and there's a few which are unscored but still full of praise. It seems that the humour is dividing people somewhat. Still, the comparisons to Metroid, Prey and the fact that it's less than 10 hours long all sound like big plus points for me. I expect Edge will give it a 9 out of loyalty to the dev appearing in the magazine for the last however many months.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Honestly for me the aesthetic is quite unappealing. Which, while shallow I know, is the only thing you can go on when looking at screens and videos.

I don't think that's particularly shallow, it's a significant aspect of the enjoyment of any game, and even moreso an exploration-oriented one. I happen to like the way it looks, and combining that with the suggestion of the game being like a less combat-heavy Metroid Prime* makes this very appealing to me.

*which in itself sounds ideal as, let's face it, the combat is the weakest part of Metroid Prime

I'd never really thought about it that way, but that probably explains a lot about why I don't enjoy OOT! I just don't much enjoy 'lock-on' combat, with very rare exceptions (Sekiro and Bloodborne spring to mind, I'm not sure I can think of any shooters), and in the case of MP most of the time it just felt like it was padding out sections and getting in the way of the stuff I enjoyed, i.e. the exploring and platforming. Boss fights were rare exceptions to this, but backtracking through areas and killing the same enemies for the umpteenth time just wore a bit thin.

53 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

and the fact that it's less than 10 hours long all sound like big plus points for me.

I think less than 10 hours is optimistic for a first play through, unless you hardly explore more than is necessary. I reckon average would be about 12, but I spent longer than that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

I don't think that's particularly shallow, it's a significant aspect of the enjoyment of any game, and even moreso an exploration-oriented one. I happen to like the way it looks, and combining that with the suggestion of the game being like a less combat-heavy Metroid Prime* makes this very appealing to me.

*which in itself sounds ideal as, let's face it, the combat is the weakest part of Metroid Prime

Yeah it's why I can't get on with Slay The Spire, I just don't like the aesthetic enough to learn the game.

• Upvote 1

The missus has just bought this after watching the trailer, so if no-one else has taken a punt I guess I'll have impressions in a bit. The reviews are middling to very favourable from what I've seen.

Right it's a bit like Metroid Prime meets Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy but not as clever as either of those. I am enjoying it though and I'm finding it funny, but I can see the humour would grate with some people as it's a bit obnoxious at times. 

Not the most glowing recommend. Hm. But yeah, I'm having fun exploring and unlocking abilities. I wouldn't recommend any rush out and buy it but it's pushing my buttons.

• Upvote 1

You come across any bugs, @moosegrinder? My XBox version has floating creatures every now and then and my personal favourite, the floating NPC that keeps on going, all the way up in the sky.