IGNORED

Goemon 2 + 3 in English. Thats right, beeach.

Luck

5353titlescreen.png

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5354/

5354titlescreen.png

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/5353/

How amazing? Big props to the team for making this finally happen, drama laced thread and origin story here:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=20026.160

select-player-j.pngimage.png.70a75993879f7f422734f43a83aa62f6.png

image.png.9d62fd8f8c607bee1084229f5b323dff.pngarea-clear-e.png

Here's some covers for the SNES Mini (Preset 0000):

uc?export=download&id=1fQ4qL0nUhQTcNKsTBuc?export=download&id=1zqHFBiGXTPDg2Xk0I uc?export=download&id=14qdSsAZsjOc6CfjiBuc?export=download&id=10W30TJEm92ywG2FyA

They really should have a Patreon/donation thing for the effort that went into making this happen as I'd slide a few bucks over to show my appreciation.

Enjoy

image.png

image.png

Found out about this, this morning. It is indeed most excellent work.

Goemon 2 is actually very playable in Japanese but in 3 it’s pretty tough to navigate so it’s amazing to have a version of this for people to play.

I was literally thinking just last week that these games needed a translation. Goemon 4 needs to be done too, it’s not as hard to navigate as 3 but it definitely has some bits where you need to know what’s going on in order to progress.

They’re all excellent games, all very original from each other and deserve a playthrough if you love quality Super Famicom games.

I'm surprised these didn't get translated unofficially or officially yet. It's a series I've always been meaning to go back to and check out properly as I only ever played the original Mystical Ninja back in the 90's on my wildcard and it was the Japanese version so there were things I couldn't properly understand. Might have to put this in my RGC nomination in March. 

I don't want to be that guy, but I'm very unimpressed.

I wouldn't say that I'm a great Goemon fan, although that's mostly because I've only completed three games in the entire series. I'm trying to rectify this, though: as it happens, I've currently started a chronological exploration of the all the Goemon games, from the arcade Mr Goemon until the DS game. I have yet to play the Goemon 2, 3, and 4 on the SFC, so maybe I'm missing something, but...

What I'm seeing right now is crude graphic replacements, a very pedestrian translation, and an awful choice of font faces. Yes, yes--I'm aware that they're not professional localizers, but I can't help but feel disappointed.

3 hours ago, DeDeDe said:

I don't want to be that guy, but I'm very unimpressed.

I wouldn't say that I'm a great Goemon fan, although that's mostly because I've only completed three games in the entire series. I'm trying to rectify this, though: as it happens, I've currently started a chronological exploration of the all the Goemon games, from the arcade Mr Goemon until the DS game. I have yet to play the Goemon 2, 3, and 4 on the SFC, so maybe I'm missing something, but...

What I'm seeing right now is crude graphic replacements, a very pedestrian translation, and an awful choice of font faces. Yes, yes--I'm aware that they're not professional localizers, but I can't help but feel disappointed.

How many games have you translated and released?

@Luck I work as a professional translator, so I'm well aware of the sorts of difficulties and challenges that you come across in this kind of project. But, yes, to answer your question, I've never been involved in any kind of game localization project.

If I was too critical of the translation, it's mostly because I feel like the Goemon games deserve a bigger audience. I'll get in contact with the group to see if they need at the very least proofreaders with the Goemon 4 project. 

That would be good, be helpful instead of dissing those who are making an effort because its thanks to them that dozens of us who never played these games finally get to experience them and make sense of whats kicking at the same time.

If every armchair critic actually pitched in with their professed skills instead of just bitching imagine what it could be?

Not sure where these pictures came from, but they’re not reflective of the ‘final’ font it seems. At least not the Goemon 2 player select screen.

I’ve just patched them and tried them out and the font is better than the initial pictures suggest.

A7EB7BC2-D665-42CF-B330-CD23943826D8.jpeg

17 hours ago, Luck said:

That would be good, be helpful instead of dissing those who are making an effort because its thanks to them that dozens of us who never played these games finally get to experience them and make sense of whats kicking at the same time.

If every armchair critic actually pitched in with their professed skills instead of just bitching imagine what it could be?

Only 2 dislikes? You're slipping, you silly little nerdy social rejects. Quick, send out the signal

Nerd_Signal_Twitter_400x400.jpg

Because just like before you know what I said is true. Lamers.

It does seem inevitable that anything involving someone fan translating or interpreting from Japanese to English (and this language pair in particular) quickly attracts "that's not how I would have translated it" type comments.

I think people should generally assume that fan translations are done by amateurs and not seasoned professional translators (who funnily enough probably prioritise the translations they're getting paid to do, instead of translating a bunch of stuff for free).

If someone doesn't understand Japanese, then surely even a "pedestrian" fan translation is preferable to nothing/struggling through in Japanese with no idea of what's going on. If someone is an expert in Japanese then it's fairly irrelevant to them.

36 minutes ago, partious said:

It does seem inevitable that anything involving someone fan translating or interpreting from Japanese to English (and this language pair in particular) quickly attracts "that's not how I would have translated it" type comments.

I think people should generally assume that fan translations are done by amateurs and not seasoned professional translators (who funnily enough probably prioritise the translations they're getting paid to do, instead of translating a bunch of stuff for free).

Yep but this is the internet where a bunch of overweight, middle aged guys with questionable personal hygiene have nothing better to do that bitch about what someone else has actually done whilst doing sweet FA themselves to help anyone else.

Personally I really appreciate the effort as you need English in these games to get the most enjoyment as the text adds loads to the experience which is also why I gave @Goemon props for his offer to pitch in but the usual knee jerk squad who are still sensitive over my last posts evidently didn't comprehend that..