rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Do 71

Edge #342

IMG_3131.thumb.JPG.110ab0768ba7e629ca373e2a4c3c7102.JPG

Hype has a look at, The Room VR: A Dark Matter, Zombie Army 4: Dead War, Drake Hollow, Receiver 2, GTFO, and Meteorfall: Krumit's Tale

Hype Roundup has a quick shifty at, Pokémon Sword & Shield: Isle of Armor, Say No! More, Weird West, Wicca, and Resident Evil 3.

Fewtures include, Hytale - A next generation block game that gives power to the people, Collected Works: Naoki Yoshida - Final Fantasy XIV director. Chaos Engine - More games than ever run on randomness, and it's transformed the industry as we know it.

Reviews:

Kentucky Route Zero -  9

Darwin Project - 8

Darksiders Genesis - 6

Arise: A Simply Story - 8

Shovel Knight: King of Cards - 8

Super Crush KO - 7

Lego Builder's Journey - 7

Kuukiyomi: Consider II - 6

Lightmatter - 7

The Making of Observation.

Studio Profile visits Inkle.

Time Extend looks back on The Banner Saga Trilogy.

The Long Game is still playing Destiny 2.

• Upvote 5

Nothing to do with the content in this issue but I'm finally cancelling my subscription with this one after 342 issues. Keep putting it off.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Observation was criminally overlooked last year (although not by Edge). Looking forward to reading that article.

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one to think that at least on the Hype section recently we have too many PC games? I mean in the last three issues the 60% of the games were PC exclusives, probably the post Christmas drought is to blame but I do not buy PC magazine for a reason...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, vladtepess said:

Am I the only one to think that at least on the Hype section recently we have too many PC games? I mean in the last three issue the 60% of the games were PC exclusives, probably the post Christmas drought is o blame but I do not buy PC magazine for a reason...

Having never been a PC gamer this is one of the main bugbears nowadays.

6 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Damn the PC and its interesting games.

They're less interesting if you're never going own a gaming PC though.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Radish said:

Edge should change from being multi platform to only the platforms I’m interested in. 

Or strike a better balance, I dunno?

• Upvote 1

Maybe the console manufacturers need to strike a better balance of shit, generic games and interesting ones. When everything the triple A publishers are pushing is just a reskin of the same garbage they’ve been selling us since the 360 launch what are edge supposed to say? Yup, it’s yet another Asscred/cod/far cry/uncharted/forza. How many times can they review or discuss franchises with no real innovations before they basically start copy and pasting?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Surely it should follow the interesting games where they go? 

I don't disagree, I just haven't felt those PC games I'll never play looked so interesting I wanted to read about them anyway.

Not that I blame Edge for this, but a typical issue feels like 50% PC, 40% PS4/Xbox One bland franchise updates, 5% mobile, 5% Switch.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

Maybe the console manufacturers need to strike a better balance of shit, generic games and interesting ones. When everything the triple A publishers are pushing is just a reskin of the same garbage they’ve been selling us since the 360 launch what are edge supposed to say? Yup, it’s yet another Asscred/cod/far cry/uncharted/forza. How many times can they review or discuss franchises with no real innovations before they basically start copy and pasting?

Is this a defence or criticism of Edge? Because there are some franchises that get a pass on exhaustive coverage without offering anything particularly innovative over the previous entry. They just aren’t by big western devs.

• Upvote 1

Imagine being Kojima and reading this issue of Edge to discover that they gave the same score that they did to Death Stranding to Kuukiyomi: Consider II;

image.png.7f6fefcf88592728c44f76b18c16d228.png

6 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I also think they would benefit from re-appraising prominent GaaS titles annually or following a particularly major update - like they did with Destiny. A one side cursory glance at the odd title isn’t sufficient.

Jesus Christ, so your plan is for them to write fucking updates on the exact same games every month that they’ve already reviewed? Like “bit of trouble in Fortnite 6 weeks ago when we were writing this”? What benefit could there possibly be to discussing games that make tiny changes once a week in a format that can’t get into readers hands for several weeks after publication? 

• Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Is this a defence or criticism of Edge? Because there are some franchises that get a pass on exhaustive coverage without offering anything particularly innovative over the previous entry. They just aren’t by big western devs.

A defence. Triple A games and most major console releases are generic, identical shite. Why would journalists who want to write about games want to repeatedly write the same shit about the same boring games?

Jesus Christ, so your plan is for them to write fucking updates on the exact same games every month that they’ve already reviewed? Like “bit of trouble in Fortnite 6 weeks ago when we were writing this”? What benefit could there possibly be to discussing games that make tiny changes once a week in a format that can’t get into readers hands for several weeks after publication? 

They could absolutely review Fortnite Chapter Two as a new game and assess the BR mode as a whole and award it the 10 it deserves. Their critical insight would be interesting.

This PC gaming argument is odd.

The number of “interesting and innovative” PC games has always been high. Some of them are a success and go on to get console ports. Some never make the transition. Some of them are beautiful failures like Trespasser. There is no sudden reason for Edge to neglect areas of the console space to prioritise PC, if that is what is happening.

• Downvote 4

It’s not what’s happening, they’re neglecting boring shite. Which obviously differs person to person, but if your idea of interesting is more insights into Fortnite, a game whose innovations are entirely in forcing people to play more and creating FOMO in their shop I’m bloody glad you’re not editing any magazines.

• Upvote 1

It’s not what’s happening, they’re neglecting boring shite. Which obviously differs person to person, but if your idea of interesting is more insights into Fortnite, a game whose innovations are entirely in forcing people to play more and creating FOMO in their shop I’m bloody glad you’re not editing any magazines.

Nobody is forced to play more Fortnite. Ignorance.

Kinda strange they never reviewed it given they awarded PUBG a 9 or 10 right?

I don’t think they should be omitting games for being ”too casual”. Or whatever.

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I also think they would benefit from re-appraising prominent GaaS titles annually or following a particularly major update - like they did with Destiny. A one side cursory glance at the odd title isn’t sufficient.

The Long Game and Still Playing do this.

I came off as harsh there but I would personally rather read a dozen articles about games I might never play - especially if I’m not going to play them but there’s something interesting about them I might enjoy reading - than a month-late write-up of the same scripted corporate preview event every web site and Twitter account has already picked apart.

• Upvote 3

where the fuck is all the Pokemon Go coverage, assholes, I want to know what was happening in the game a month ago!

so apart from fortnite what Console games worthy of coverage are they ognoring?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Nobody is forced to play more Fortnite. Ignorance.

Kinda strange they never reviewed it given they awarded PUBG a 9 or 10 right?

I don’t think they should be omitting games for being ”too casual”. Or whatever.

They gave PUBG a good score because it was a new idea. I imagine they’ve probably covered interesting aspects of Fortnite, like it’s huge popularity, since it released. But their scores are almost entirely based on innovation. They’re the kind of entity that gives LittleBigPlanet a 10 because it’s a clever idea, even though the controls are broken. Fortnite isn’t casual, it’s popular. And desperately chasing whatever is popular has never really been the point of EDGE. The only really innovative parts of Fortnite are the shop, and the speed of updates. Those things are not really worth covering in a magazine that you won’t be able to read until they’ve changed completely.

Fortnite isn’t interesting, it’s popular. You generally don’t get very popular by being too clever or interesting. It’s the same reason Empire doesn’t critically reassess Michael Bay’s transformers every few months. You can just assume those things are still bland garbage.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

Fortnite isn’t interesting, it’s popular. You generally don’t get very popular by being too clever or interesting. 

popularity and quality are not mutually exclusive . 

50 minutes ago, Broker said:

They gave PUBG a good score because it was a new idea. I imagine they’ve probably covered interesting aspects of Fortnite, like it’s huge popularity, since it released. But their scores are almost entirely based on innovation. They’re the kind of entity that gives LittleBigPlanet a 10 because it’s a clever idea, even though the controls are broken. Fortnite isn’t casual, it’s popular. And desperately chasing whatever is popular has never really been the point of EDGE. The only really innovative parts of Fortnite are the shop, and the speed of updates. Those things are not really worth covering in a magazine that you won’t be able to read until they’ve changed completely.

Fortnite isn’t interesting, it’s popular. You generally don’t get very popular by being too clever or interesting. It’s the same reason Empire doesn’t critically reassess Michael Bay’s transformers every few months. You can just assume those things are still bland garbage.

So some sort of pretentious elitism about what is or isn’t an ‘innovative’ gamer’s game?

If you want an example that disproves your argument, let’s go back to the FPS genre this gen - Edge have scored identikit (and largely awful) Call of Duty games 7 or 8 - until the latest one which has the best gunplay of them all but they didn’t like it. Meanwhile Siege was incredibly innovative for the genre and got a drubbing in the initial review, since slightly re-appraised. The game has clawed itself a 50 million audience and now has a ton of problems as a symptom of GaaS, but initially you could not argue it wasn’t a generational leap in terms of gameplay and physics. It was intensely unpopular here btw. Overwatch and The Division overshadowed it and neither could be described as ‘innovative’. But no other MP FPS has caught up to what Siege does with environmental physics.

As for Fortnite, your comments about the pass and monetary model are definitely worth debate, but to say there’s no innovation in the gameplay is just ignorant.