Rllmuk Dungeons and Dragons 5e - Ghosts of Saltm... BZZzzzt - The Curse of Strahd!

Clipper

:D

I am bit of a completist on certain genre films and this has been a niggling little hole in my vampire/dracula collection for a while :DI love dracula films and the novel and vampire novels etc, I love Leslie Nielsen and I am aware of Mel Brooks' failings :D

I have read enough about it to know I am expecting a catastrophe but I watched Interview with a Vampire without throwing things (it's not a patch on the book) and Vampire in Brooklyn which did make me throw things.

I have watched many many dracula/vampire films despite them being terrible, at least this one has Leslie Nielsen in it :)

On 20/12/2020 at 22:32, Hexx said:

Oh god it's really really terrible. REALLY terrible.

Have a bottle or two of wine before hand

It was terrible but fascinating for many many nerdy reasons. The first 15-20 mins raised a chuckle or two and then it just turned into a complete drudge - dreary slapstick with off timing and poor script. It was as if the scriptwriters wanted to write a  beat for beat pastiche of the Bela Lugosi original but got bored after 15 mins and then wrote a load of crap.

I rewatched the 1931 Universal Dracula as a result and indeed the first 15 mins of Dracula Dead and Loving it  are an homage with "funny" bits.

They just didn't commit to it and didn't have the talent to pull it off even if they had. Interestingly listening to the Director's commentary (oh yes!!!) it is obvious Mel Brooks had very little knowledge of the source and trusted the scriptwriting duo instead. He is a spectacularly lazy director and for every "The Producers" or "young Frankenstein" there is a stinker like "Dracula Dead and Loving it" in  the wings. I am not a fan of his :D

Did I mention I am a film nerd in certain very specific areas :D

EDIT - as an aside I found the 1931 dracula a tough watch even at only 75 minutes. You have to love the silent era and the first talkies to get much out of it really. Dwight Frye is superb as Renfield however.

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

It was terrible but fascinating for many many nerdy reasons. The first 15-20 mins raised a chuckle or two and then it just turned into a complete drudge - dreary slapstick with off timing and poor script. It was as if the scriptwriters wanted to write a  beat for beat pastiche of the Bela Lugosi original but got bored after 15 mins and then wrote a load of crap.

I rewatched the 1931 Universal Dracula as a result and indeed the first 15 mins of Dracula Dead and Loving it  are an homage with "funny" bits.

They just didn't commit to it and didn't have the talent to pull it off even if they had. Interestingly listening to the Director's commentary (oh yes!!!) it is obvious Mel Brooks had very little knowledge of the source and trusted the scriptwriting duo instead. He is a spectacularly lazy director and for every "The Producers" or "young Frankenstein" there is a stinker like "Dracula Dead and Loving it" in  the wings. I am not a fan of his :D

Did I mention I am a film nerd in certain very specific areas :D

EDIT - as an aside I found the 1931 dracula a tough watch even at only 75 minutes. You have to love the silent era and the first talkies to get much out of it really. Dwight Frye is superb as Renfield however.

I told you it’s terrible. It’s not even a good ‘standalone’ comedy 

nice reason though you big nerd 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to say that I might struggle for Sunday. I'm having a week and it's only Tuesday.  Would very much like to just have a weekend where I didn't have to think about ANYTHING at all. :)  :wub:

No problems with Sunday at all you take the time you need for yourself - that is always important.

And under the new rules (that I just made up) Breek is played by someone who has played that class before soooooo @Mogsteryou are in control of Breek next session :D

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

Oh god. I haven't touched rangers since my first character. :D

That's fine though. It means I get control of the Wand of Wonder. :ph34r:

Just remember sharpshooter EVERY SHOT :D

13 hours ago, Clipper said:

Just remember sharpshooter EVERY SHOT :D

Pretty much, I don't think Breek has ever NOT sharpshooted since she has been able to. She takes her sharpshooting VERY seriously.

In order

Room with red marble floor

East Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Sykane, the Soul Hungerer. Sykane’s gift is the power to raise the recently deceased. This dark gift allows its beneficiary to cast the raise dead spell as an action. After it has been used three times, the dark gift vanishes.

OLLY TOOK THIS

West Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Fekre, Queen of Poxes. Fekre’s gift is the power of spreading disease.

South Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Zrin-Hala, the Howling Storm. Zrin-Hala’s gift is the power to create lightning.

Room with purple marble floor

North was broken

East Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Delban, the Star of Ice and Hate. Delban’s gift is the power to unleash deadly cold.

West Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Khirad, the Star of Secrets. Khirad’s gift is the power of divination.

Black marble Floor with red veins

North Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Yrrga, the Eye of Shadows. Yrrga’s gift is the power of true seeing.

West Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Great Taar Haak, the Five-Headed Destroyer. Taar Haak’s gift is great strength.

South Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Yog the Invincible. Yog’s gift is one of physical resilience.

Grey marble floor with black veins

West Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Norganas, the Finger of Oblivion. Norganas’s gift is the power to turn life into undeath.

South Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Vaund the Evasive. Vaund’s gift is the power of evasion.

East Sarcophagus. The vestige within this sarcophagus offers the dark gift of Seriach, the Hell Hound Whisperer. Seriach’s gift is the power to summon and control hell hounds.