Rllmuk Dungeons and Dragons 5e - Ghosts of Saltm... BZZzzzt - The Curse of Strahd!

Clipper

You know, as a DM I think I have grown over the past few years, inspired by you all. My planning used to be super tight and I had to force myself to take into account possible bumps along the way. I scripted a fair bit because I was worried I'd be "caught out" then realised (when a certain person grabbed a certain egg) that the whole point IS to be caught out!

Now the planning is looser and far far more improv than it was but I still jot down thoughts about next session, what direction it is going... where might it go... how might others react to that, what if they do this? etc.

And yet

You can still catch me totally off guard by deciding to resurrect a long dead "oldish" dragon right in the basement of Ravenloft! I have had to create a (mumble mumble) level Paladin in DNDBeyond this week!

And knowing you lot you'll probably find some way to kill him this week within 30 seconds or become a dragon yourselves or team up with Strahd against the dragon.

And I love it :D

(I will be sorry to see you all die)

(I jest but this campaign is brutal)

Yeah I love all this stuff. 

What I really wish I knew was about lots of the stuff going on behind the scenes. Not necessarily behind the DM screen (although some insight after the thing is over would be great) but what is driving each of you to play your character the way you do. 

We only see a small portion of the Roleplaying between us and don’t see the inner motivations we give our characters. 

I have tended to play pretty straightforward characters with Rango, Errick and Foehammer so you might not think they have deep motivations (okay, they don’t :) ) but I do really try to make their actions true to them. 

For example Sardæn never taking watch at night time was commented on a few times and I was so glad you all picked up on that. It was intentional. As far as Sardæn was concerned he wouldn’t ever take a watch, that’s not his job, he didn’t see himself as an adventurer. More of a sage who was tagging along. (It’s a shame I didn’t get to play him more as he was perhaps the most different from my other characters.  But then legging it from the vampire infested mists was definitely what he would have done. Not because he is a coward, but because he isn’t an adventurer and wasn’t prepared, so his actions were totally true to him and I do not regret how it turned out.)

I definitely would love for us to have a final session after the campaign to chat through some of this. We did a bit last time (which covered both campaigns) but I would love to hear our adventure from others’ points of view. 

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

You can still catch me totally off guard by deciding to resurrect a long dead "oldish" dragon right in the basement of Ravenloft

I don't know it sounds like us.

You talk yourself down but the entire thing nearly always seems utterly seemless as we go through.

But yeah this one occasion where it felt like we "got" you :D

2 minutes ago, Hexx said:

You talk yourself down but the entire thing nearly always seems utterly seemless as we go through.

What I really wish I knew was about lots of the stuff going on behind the scenes. Not necessarily behind the DM screen (although some insight after the thing is over would be great) but what is driving each of you to play your character the way you do.

Just ask then. I'm utterly terrible so try to avoid RP (or at least instigaing...I'm more about inventive problem solving with tools to hand) but if you want to make the oppertunity. (RIkku/MDY were good at doing this during watches in Chult campaign). If that's what you want to do - go for it

I had done ALL the research on the dragon as you passed Argynvostholt's abode on the way to Amber temple so I got upto speed and then you decided to move on so I pushed that all to one side

4 sessions later inside Ravenloft - BOOM! I thinkt hat is the only time I have asked for a couple of mins to completely change tack :D

57 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Absolutely, you do a brilliant job Clipper. 

“We”?! we?!  It was you! :quote:

I was honestly expecting a total party kill (a few weeks early) as an ancient red dragon appeared. I wanted you to resurrect Esmerelda.

I’m adding you to the list of people who should never be offered dangerous magic items. 

I'm afraid you will get a 1 week reprieve. I assumed my overtime weekend wouldn't affect D&D but the jobs I need to do have spread to cover the entire weekend with unsociable hours.

So apologies but Strahd gets to survive another week :)

4 hours ago, Clipper said:

I'm afraid you will get a 1 week reprieve. I assumed my overtime weekend wouldn't affect D&D but the jobs I need to do have spread to cover the entire weekend with unsociable hours.

So apologies but Strahd gets to survive another week :)

Kay, well, let's just say we won and call it evens, yeah? Cool.

(Hope work eases up for you soon! :) )

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

Sorry Olly. :(

Honestly I'm kind of glad it ended that way.:blush: I didn't think of trying to hide what I was doing though, which could have been interesting.

I've got behind the scenes stuff to talk about but I'm guessing it should probably wait until after the campaign.

Sooooo close to TPK

And yes @Mogster once campaign has moved beyond a certain point you can tell them all :D

You all feel your dark gifts fade away - any downsides are still there however.

EDIT - and no wand of wonder? Someone check @Rikku is ok :D

9 hours ago, Mogster said:

Honestly I'm kind of glad it ended that way.:blush: I didn't think of trying to hide what I was doing though, which could have been interesting.

I've got behind the scenes stuff to talk about but I'm guessing it should probably wait until after the campaign.

It would have been difficult to hide it anyway, Vigil was only 5ft away from Rango..

That was... a lot, I thought it would be tough, but that was three hours of mild panic.. Definitely thought we were either going to TPK when three of the fighters were down.. :blink: Didn't think Olly would be the one to die..

In retrospect I possibly should have reverted a round or two earlier (though it did handily take all the damage from that first fireball.. ironically I rolled my best DEX save against one while I was a bloody whale :lol:)

I think that was the most epic battle we have had. It helped that I had greater invisibility for Strahd and his "heart" meaning he didn't do concentration checks until you had reached a certain damage point.

The various inter party conflicts bubbled up nicely to the surface I think - irony that the party member with the revivify gift was the one who died :D

The turning point was when Rikku said it was looking like a TPK - Tyron had been a constant thorn in Strahd's side so when he charmed Tyron I thought Rikku might have been right! However Breek's decison to shoot Tyron was inspired without that and the subsequent wis save I think it might have tipped the other way.

Strahd revealed himself at that point and tried to finish you off but a combo of healing spirits and very good concentration checks managed to keep the yoyo-ing fighters up long enough :)

Oh and Olly's plan almost almost worked - that would have been fantastic :D

Anyway we get to see what happens now, an epilogue to Barovia? Or an interlude