Jump to content

EDGE game review scores database


Recommended Posts

EDGE Scores 1-315.zip

 

Someone created a Google fusion table time ago. It included many fields like format and developer, not just game and score. Google closed the service and I can't find where the creator moved it, or an offline copy. It had all game scores.

Metacritic has compiled the last 20 years and is a good source for the latest scores. It includes some quotes from the review.

https://www.metacritic.com/publication/edge-magazine

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, zeroize said:

Someone created a Google fusion table time ago. It included many fields like format and developer, not just game and score. Google closed the service and I can't find where the creator moved it, or an offline copy. It had all game scores.

Metacritic has compiled the last 20 years and is a good source for the latest scores. It includes some quotes from the review.

https://www.metacritic.com/publication/edge-magazine

Was that person you?

 

The link loops back to this thread btw

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know the best way to put this, but there's something reassuringly cliquey about any mention of notorious Edge scores from the past, like it's something only contained within the nerdiest of videogame forums, and mostly just this one. I'm glad people fret about things that others outside the forum are completely oblivious to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Don't know the best way to put this, but there's something reassuringly cliquey about any mention of notorious Edge scores from the past, like it's something only contained within the nerdiest of videogame forums, and mostly just this one. I'm glad people fret about things that others outside the forum are completely oblivious to.

 

Such as Street Fighter III: Third Strike's Six out of Ten. :eyebrows:

 

Here's a feature Edge did in 2012, looking back on its old review scores (Third Strike, Doom, Double Dash, Broken Sword 3 etc):

https://web.archive.org/web/20121019142440/http://www.edge-online.com/features/ten-controversial-edge-reviews/4/

 

I found that page's original URL via this NeoGaf thread, which contains this lovely post:

Quote

They have a writer on now, I think his name is Nathan Brown, that understands fighting games. It's a really nice change of pace from most mainstream FG writing.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zeroize said:

Added database I found. From 1 to 315, but with only 3 fields: issue, game and score.

 

Still looking for the good one with more information.

 

Welcome to the forum friend, but you should know that posting zip files make us a little nervous. Can you link it up to Google Docs or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://airtable.com/shrbKcJs2TV01EQu5/tbloa8L7cJbwxzp2M?blocks=hide

 

there you go.. none .zippy version

 

And here it is grouped by score

 

https://airtable.com/shrbKcJs2TV01EQu5/tbloa8L7cJbwxzp2M?blocks=hide

 

 

Some interesting stats (cos I'm bored)

 

Total Number of reviews: 3667
Highest review count per issue (Issue 54: 30 reviews)

Lowest review count per issue (Issue 14: 3 reviews)

Average review score: 6.58

 

Score distribution:

 

image.png.06fad23598f15d0788e6fdb6a478e479.png

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

The people of Lazio and Toyama in particular are loving it. 
 

Does anyone here have a comprehensive collection? I’m disappointed that the digital back catalogue I bough a few years back through the app only goes back a few years, and it was a one-time thing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Popo said:

The people of Lazio and Toyama in particular are loving it. 
 

Does anyone here have a comprehensive collection? I’m disappointed that the digital back catalogue I bough a few years back through the app only goes back a few years, and it was a one-time thing. 

I’m in the same boat. I wanted to check some GBA reviews today and was under the impression that I had all the Edge magazines in digital form. But I was getting mixed up with Retro Gamer. 
That’s why I posted the link to the old mags as I was looking for some kind of online back catalogue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

People might also be interested in this podcast from two guys who used to write for Edge, Games TM, Ngamer etc. They just had an episode about review scores actually:

 

 

(I pretty much just spam this forum with this podcast now but I don’t care it’s my favourite)

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sarlaccfood I’ve subbed to this podcasts since it was posted to the Yakuza thread (by you?). It’s really good! Is it just me or does one of them sound tall and the other sound short? That shouldn’t be possible, but I’d be curious to know if it bears out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Popo said:

@Sarlaccfood I’ve subbed to this podcasts since it was posted to the Yakuza thread (by you?). It’s really good! Is it just me or does one of them sound tall and the other sound short? That shouldn’t be possible, but I’d be curious to know if it bears out. 

Haha yeah I totally imagine that too. I sometimes deliberately hold out googling someone just in case they don’t match how I picture them in my head, so not sure how true it is!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2021 at 23:45, Calashnikov said:

Buzzing to knowingly revisit jolly former columnist Toshihiro Nagoshi’s transition from cheery, floppy-haired magical little lucky man...

 

image.jpeg.ae5392b134f48c4c48b989f4c06bf16b.jpeg

 

into this:

 

nagoshi.jpg


... because of gradual less games chat and more whisky and fashion consumption.

 

That isn't even his final form.

 

Spoiler

d147566233201055e476596f40fcc2dc.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/05/2021 at 00:28, Sarlaccfood said:

People might also be interested in this podcast from two guys who used to write for Edge, Games TM, Ngamer etc. They just had an episode about review scores actually:

 

 

(I pretty much just spam this forum with this podcast now but I don’t care it’s my favourite)

Who are those two guys who wrote for Edge? Never heard of them... certainly not around in its Double Dash heyday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Who are those two guys who wrote for Edge? Never heard of them... certainly not around in its Double Dash heyday.

Matt Castle wrote for Edge, Ngamer and Official Xbox magazine and Sam Roberts was Games TM, PCgamer and Play. Amongst other mags and websites it sounds like.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Castle was never staff on Edge but he’s written for it plenty down the years. Think staff-wise he did NGamer, ONM, OXM and Rock Paper Shotgun. 
 

They’re both pretty much the same height I’m afraid, six foot or thereabouts. Think Castle might even be the taller. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.