rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Alex W.

Your dumb controller ideas

I had this flash of inspiration the other day: what if there was an analogue stick that worked like the GC analogue triggers? Just an ordinary stick over most of the range, but then just as it reaches the limit of its range on one of the eight cardinal directions (think the GC octagon shaped thing) you get a digital click in to place. No idea what it would be good for.

• Upvote 2

I've always wondered if it would be possible to make a version of the Neo Geo Pocket stick that's microswitched for digital control like on the NGPC but can read the analogue position of the stick at the same time.

• Upvote 2

One of the VR controllers has a grip button on the er... grip, I always thought that would make sense for the regular controllers, essentially moving the shoulder buttons down to a more ergonomic place for you to have fingers on both and the triggers at once, but they've all put paddles in that spot now.

Dual analogue sticks (but short stubby ones) on the reverse side of the joypad.

I concepted this for a design project back in 1996. I was warned at the time that it would be too complex for the user to handle, I pushed back and lost. In hindsight I know I was wrong, or have forgotten whatever amazing gameplay skills I had back then (most likely the former).

• Upvote 2

A built in screen that looks at your screenshot history and acts as a camera roll. That's all that the screen would be used for. That alone would save me playing beside a bunch of notepaper as I scribble down clues and passwords that aren't stored anywhere in-game.

Alternatively (and with less expense) - make this a new share button function, where all of your most recent screenshots appear in a row at the bottom of the screen and you can browse them whilst keeping an eye on gameplay above...

This thread makes me sad that the Steam controller was under appericiated.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I've designed a controller with 2 shitty analogue sticks, a crap d pad, really uncomfortable loose analog triggers, a tiny rechargeable battery that lasts about 3h and I'm also thinking of adding a touchpad that nobody will ever use.

I'm thinking of pitching it to Sony first.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this is a dumb idea or not but I’d love a dedicated quick save button. It’s probably the thing from PC gaming that I miss the most when playing a console game. 

• Upvote 2

Motion control fine tuning, so in an FPS you use two sticks as normal to aim, but if your reticle is slightly off where you want it to be you can tilt the controller to add just a little more mcment in that direction. 

10 minutes ago, RaoulSilva said:

Motion control fine tuning, so in an FPS you use two sticks as normal to aim, but if your reticle is slightly off where you want it to be you can tilt the controller to add just a little more mcment in that direction. 

That's gyro aiming. It's pretty much the norm on the Switch. 

• Upvote 1

On 31 January 2020 at 11:09, Chooch said:

TRACKBALL

TRACKCUBE!

A trackball with corners so you have more grip!

• Upvote 4