rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020 - It's Race Week again! - British GP Live on C4

Sebastian Vettel is understood to be in discussions over a deal to join the Aston Martin Formula 1 team in 2021, sources have indicated.

Racing Point team principal Otmar Szafnauer has continually denied that the team will have a place for him.

Vettel to replace Szafnauer, you heard it here first     :sherlock:

;)

Vettel is easily faster, and a better driver than Perez if you get him on a good day.

The problem is, a good day for Vettel seems to be when he has the car performing perfectly and he is the clear and obvious team lead.

So, Racing Point have 1 of the 2 ticked off at least...

Perez on the other hand has that fighting spirit that Vettel hasn't ever needed as his drive has basically always been guaranteed.

Interesting decision, but, as someone mentioned on the Monday night GT Sport chat, I wouldn't want Stroll and Perez if I was trying to sell Aston Martin's to folk, I'd want a multi time world champion who will play the marketing game, and the press seem to leave alone..

For PR Vettel is the better choice but Perez is likely to get more out of the car as he can overtake and grab a car by the scruff of its neck and make it over perform - I guess it’s down to which option brings more money to the team.

I mean, theoretically the best lineup for Aston would be Vettel (World Champion prestige, big name) and George Russell (very talented, likely to be paid-for by Merc, British). You could then theoretically have Perez go to Williams and potentially Lawrence Stroll outpay Nicholas Latifi to get Lance back in there as his teammate.

Will also be interesting to see who ends up at Alfa. Kimi might retire, Gio isn't really showing anything particularly amazing. Plenty of really promising drivers in Ferrari's program who are currently in F2. 

If Kimi retires Alfa will have to redo their completely nonsensical sponsorship ad of Sky’s F1 coverage. I don’t think he will retire, he’s clearly enjoying life at Alfa and it’s Gio who is most at risk of being dropped.

I guess it's one way that Vettel can get to drive last years Merc...

23 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I don’t think he will retire, he’s clearly enjoying life at Alfa.

I think he’ll take his time 

• Upvote 2

Perez played a huge part in saving the team. Has played a vital part in lifting the team over the last 10 years. He has usually beaten his team mates. He has brought tens of millions of dollars to the team. He is half a second a lap faster than his current teammate. He also has a 3 year contract with the team.

I think anyone of those reasons would be enough to 'go soft on Perez' as Gloomy Andy says. 

The guy is solid and the team owes him a huge amount.

Of course it's all speculation that it would be Perez to be dropped and that Vettel would even be interested. Might never happen.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

If Kimi retires Alfa will have to redo their completely nonsensical sponsorship ad of Sky’s F1 coverage. 

He really is taking his time (to retire).

:hmm:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

If Kimi retires Alfa will have to redo their completely nonsensical sponsorship ad of Sky’s F1 coverage. I don’t think he will retire, he’s clearly enjoying life at Alfa and it’s Gio who is most at risk of being dropped.

Sauber is a bit complex. The deal with Ferrari means one of their seats is Ferrari's choice and one Sauber's.

Kimi is the Sauber driver, Gio the Ferrari driver right now.  Gio is only being dropped for another Ferrari driver.

Kimi's future is also, from what I gather, not really his to decide; his contract is up at the end of this season.

However, if Ferrari do decide to move Gio out of the seat you would think it'd be in their interests for Sauber to keep Kimi on to give a bit of experience and mentoring to whomever they decide to give the spotlight next (which, in my mind, is likely a battle between Shwartzman and Schumacher, though Ilott may be in with a shout). Then again... I can't really imagine Kimi being that bothered about mentoring anyone apart from his kid!

Yeah, Sauber can of course make their decisions based on what Ferrari decide.  I do think that, results justifying it or not, if Mick Schumacher can scrape together the superlicence points to qualify Ferrari will want him in the car.

Which actually, if he's cheap means Gio is not the worst option for Sauber to take on.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

He really is taking his time (to retire).

:hmm:

<_<

18 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, Sauber can of course make their decisions based on what Ferrari decide.  I do think that, results justifying it or not, if Mick Schumacher can scrape together the superlicence points to qualify Ferrari will want him in the car.

Which actually, if he's cheap means Gio is not the worst option for Sauber to take on.

I agree re: Mick and, as much as there's the part of me that would be disappointed to see Ilott and Shwartzman miss out if they perform better, I have to admit that there's a big part of me that would really like to see Mick given a chance for mostly sentimental reasons.

The only issue Ferrari might have is if Shwartzman, Ilott or Armstrong win the F2 title this year as that would preclude them from getting another year in the championship to mature a little longer, which is what I imagine they're hoping to do with each of them.

Mick isn't having much luck at the moment though is he? best waiting a couple of years for that Ferrari drive as the car is a fairly large turd at the moment...

Oh he'll start at Sauber.

And he'll never get to Ferrari, they don't hire for the main team for sentiment and he is nowhere near good enough.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Oh he'll start at Sauber.

And he'll never get to Ferrari, they don't hire for the main team for sentiment and he is nowhere near good enough.

I'll hold you to that. His old man didn't set the world alight in sportscars either....there's too many that are nowhere near good enough *cough* STROLL*cough* and they still get a go. Latifi is on my radar for that too, daddy has too much cash.

How does Mick hold up against his uncle?

Ralf gets a bit of a bad cop but I actually thought he was pretty good. Not as good as his brother, but then again arguably no-one was. He more than held his own up against Nigel Mansell 2.0 (JPM) and I thought he was pretty good value for the six wins he got.

Face like a slapped arse, mind, and an attitude to go with it. Heard a story from a colleague whose friend worked at Williams who said Ralf had two fucking massive dogs and he'd just let them wander around the factory and shit all over the floor. Used to drive Patrick Head mad.

Ralf's son, David is also doing well and competing at the same weekends as Mick albeit in F3 rather F2. Be cool they both got to F1.

Speaking of, here's a question for the superfans. Has there ever been a time when cousins raced against each other in F1? I think Dario Franchitti and Paul Di Resta came the closest in recent memory (although the former only tested, never raced) but I bet you guys will able to pull some stats out :) 

You know what... I am not entirely sure it has happened! I'll have a think.

In terms of relations that don't often race against each other, Francois Cevert was Jean Pierre Beltoise's brother-in-law.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, marsh said:

I'll hold you to that. His old man didn't set the world alight in sportscars either....there's too many that are nowhere near good enough *cough* STROLL*cough* and they still get a go. Latifi is on my radar for that too, daddy has too much cash.

Stroll isn't driving any car he doesn't have to pay for, neither is Latifi.

Ferrari aren't a pay team.

Michael won Macau, no small feat.

9 hours ago, GwiDan said:

<_<

I really can’t stand bunting. On the day it happens I’m putting up bunting. 

• Upvote 1

If it's a Kimi tribute surely you should put up bunting lazily several days later.

10 hours ago, mexos said:

I really can’t stand bunting. On the day it happens I’m putting up bunting. 

image.png.e5c3d225bcd9ff2a32a0c00b7bf20ebe.png

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

If it's a Kimi tribute surely you should put up bunting lazily several days later, while drunk.

:hat:

• Upvote 1

Williams keeping their driver lineup next year. 

So theres only one half decent drive on the grid for Vettel, I can't see him taking a drive at Alfa or Haas

1 minute ago, wev said:

So theres only one half decent drive on the grid for Vettel, I can't see him taking a drive at Alfa or Haas

I bet he’s gutted that Williams door just closed. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I bet he’s gutted that Williams door just closed. 

:lol:

They finished 11th at the first race dontchaknow!?