Formula One - 2020

8 hours ago, Freeman said:

The problem for Red Bull is that Albon is exactly the same. He also needs to grow and be nurtured, they just don’t do that.

Mostly they seem to just throw him on weird strategies that don’t work. Today was the first where he’s really screwed it up himself on race day by himself with that car damage near the start.

16 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I’m not absolving Merc or LH of responsibility by any means. There definitely should be some lights on the inside of parabolica though. I’d also be interested in how much time went between the decision to close the pit lane and the call to box. 

Yeah. Two drivers missing it (I’m assuming out of two who were instructed to box - do we know if anyone overrode a team instruction?) says they really need more/better placed lights. I don’t know where Giovanazzi (which I’ve probably spelt completely wrong!) was before the safety car, but I’m assuming he also had the added clue of several cars ahead of him not taking the “free” pit stop and still didn’t work it out.

Edited by MrPogo

Do we know if it was the drivers that stayed out or if the teams realised because other teams were still preparing to pit when Hamilton was already half way down the pit lane so if they were closer they would have come in too.  Mercedes crew didnt look to be sat waiting for Bottas so they had realised by then and he was only 4 places behind.

Giovanazzi came into the pits 45 seconds after the safety car came out and the commentators didn’t realise either, it was only when Saint didn’t put they realised what had happened. 

I assume most drivers got a “Safety car, pit! No, stay out!” but Ham and Gio didn’t get the latter, which would mean most drivers just listen to the pit wall and so the light really needs to be somewhere they can’t miss it!

One additional observation not only from this race but generally this season: Nicholas Latifi is actually doing a pretty decent job, isn't he? I fully expected him to be way off the back struggling around on his own but he's mixed it up quite a few times now and isn't disgracing himself compared to George Russell either. Fair play to him so far. He's certainly not someone you'd imagine having a particularly long or massively successful F1 career, but he's at the very least looked like he's worth the seat.

7 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

One additional observation not only from this race but generally this season: Nicholas Latifi is actually doing a pretty decent job, isn't he? I fully expected him to be way off the back struggling around on his own but he's mixed it up quite a few times now and isn't disgracing himself compared to George Russell either. Fair play to him so far. He's certainly not someone you'd imagine having a particularly long or massively successful F1 career, but he's at the very least looked like he's worth the seat.

Are there two Latifis? The one I'm watching is shit.

16 hours ago, Dudley said:

Did he especially?

In a Mercedes he gained 12 seconds on Gasly in over 20 laps having claimed he could gain 2.5 seconds a lap.  He was barely catching the field at a second a lap.

I'd have said at best that's what you would expect from a Mercedes.

Yes, he did. He had to overtake other cars, so he was never going to carry on gaining 2.5 seconds a lap once he caught the pack. Ham went from last (and like 25+ seconds behind the pack) to 7th in about 15 laps. Bottas, in the same car, went nowhere. Could have been another 50 laps and Bottas would have still been in the same spot. Hamilton on the other hand would have carried on making places.

55 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

I assume most drivers got a “Safety car, pit! No, stay out!” but Ham and Gio didn’t get the latter, which would mean most drivers just listen to the pit wall and so the light really needs to be somewhere they can’t miss it!

Unlike yellow flags there’s no dashboard message for a pit lane closure and Bottas has said he didn’t see the boards either.

What I would have liked is something similar to 2015 when Mercedes throught they might get a penalty for Illegal tyre pressures on the grid and told Hamilton to built the gap without telling him why. Imagine Hamilton with a 30 second time penalty instead of a stop and go yesterday and watching him drive that Merc as fast as he could to get it to keep the win. He’d have made it easily but it would have been fun to watch.

In Formula E the race director has a "talk to everyone" button so when someone has a shunt he just cuts over everyone's radio with "Full course yellow in 3... 2... 1... full course yellow" or whatever. I see no particular reason why F1 shouldn't do the same thing for situations that affect all drivers.

I mean a pit lane closure in F1 is a vanishingly rare thing, to be fair. Jenson Button said he'd never ever seen the signs that Hamilton and Giovinazzi blew through, and he drove what, 300 Grands Prix?

Bottas's race was embarrasing yesterday and I hope for his sake they find something fucked up in that car, although I think they would have done so by now. The commentators were making alot of excuses for him and how the car is only any good out front, until Hamilton drove through half the field.  

3 hours ago, MrPogo said:

2 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

In Formula E the race director has a "talk to everyone" button so when someone has a shunt he just cuts over everyone's radio with "Full course yellow in 3... 2... 1... full course yellow" or whatever. I see no particular reason why F1 shouldn't do the same thing for situations that affect all drivers.

I mean a pit lane closure in F1 is a vanishingly rare thing, to be fair. Jenson Button said he'd never ever seen the signs that Hamilton and Giovinazzi blew through, and he drove what, 300 Grands Prix?

During the after show, someone on the Sky team, I can't remmeber who (perhaps Di Resta or Chandok, or even Kravitz during the notebook?) said that the pitlane closure appears on page 4 of the timing screens, which I presume scroll, or need the user to select the screen to view.  Either way, having some info on the dash (yellow and blue flags), and other stuff on the lights is really stupid. 

Obviously, the final responsibility has to stay with the driver, since they are the ones who ultimately control where the car goes.  Looking to enter the pits and having a Safety Car due to an incident at that location are pretty strong indicators that the driver should check for the light before entering, but the FIA surely have a responsibility to make things as safe as possible, and this seems to me to be a very easy thing to get right.  Given the reason the pit lane was closed was safety, I think it's fair to say that it's pretty unacceptable that this can happen at all.  The FIA need to pull their finger out and get it fixed before something bad happens.  The FE 'talk to everyone' is a really nice solution and shouldn't be that hard to implement in F1 I'd have thought.

On the FE thing... Do FE race control have the power to actually limit the power of the cars for full course yellow / virtual safety car situations, and that's why they announce to everyone including the count down?

9 minutes ago, Freeman said:

On the FE thing... Do FE race control have the power to actually limit the power of the cars for full course yellow / virtual safety car situations, and that's why they announce to everyone including the count down?

I believe it's still on the drivers:

FULL COURSE YELLOW "FCY"

a) There will be a 5 second countdown by radio from Race Control to Drivers and Competitors. When the countdown is at zero (0), the FCY boards and flags will be shown on the track and all cars must immediately slow down. The maximum time to reduce speed to 50 km/h is 5 seconds.

There will be also a 5 second countdown from FCY back to Green Flag. Once under FCY, cars will slow down to 50 km/h, in single file, and maintain their distance to the car in front and the car behind.

There IS a reduction in the amount of energy they're allowed to use:

37.9 During an FCY or SC period the total time of this condition (FCY or SC time) shall be counted and 1kWh per minute will be subtracted from the total race energy available at the start of the period. The calculation will be made in full minutes and no partial minutes will be calculated. 1 minute of FCY or SC = 1kWh. The energy reduction will be sent to the FIA logger in real time and the amount of energy reduced will be displayed on the timing monitors.

That might be what you're thinking of.

One downside of the Monza result is reverse grid racing coming back from the dead

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54063417

Formula 1 will revive plans to introduce reverse-grid sprint races in place of qualifying.

Mercedes blocked plans to trial the idea this season - but Sunday's Italian Grand Prix has given F1 fresh impetus.

Two safety cars, a penalty for Lewis Hamilton and a race stoppage at Monza mixed up the field and led to a shock win for Alpha Tauri's Pierre Gasly.

F1 managing director Ross Brawn said: "The race showed the excitement a mixed-up pack can deliver."

Mercedes believe the idea is a gimmick and would not work as F1 hopes.

Toto Wolff, Mercedes F1 boss, has said he opposes the plan on three points - arguing that the sport is a meritocracy, that the employment of reverse grids in other categories leads to the events being 'gamed', and that the idea excessively penalises the team with the fastest car versus the ones with the second and third-fastest cars.

They may as well add success ballast if they are going to do it and the return of the Trulli train is inevitable when it's impossible to overtake on some tracks. 

13 hours ago, rgraves said:

Yes, he did. He had to overtake other cars, so he was never going to carry on gaining 2.5 seconds a lap once he caught the pack. Ham went from last (and like 25+ seconds behind the pack) to 7th in about 15 laps. Bottas, in the same car, went nowhere. Could have been another 50 laps and Bottas would have still been in the same spot. Hamilton on the other hand would have carried on making places.

He wasn't gaining 2.5 or close to it before he caught the pack.  He was only 20 seconds behind the pack after the pitstop not 25+.  Gaining 20 seconds on George Russell in 15 laps isn't "A tremendous job" it's "Having a Mercedes".

Hamilton's had some excellent drives, of course he has, but this wasn't one of them, which is fine of course, the next car was 10 seconds up the road, that's probably all the points that were ever on offer. 

He's helped of course by Bottas having one of the worst races a driver has had in F1 in a very long time.

2 hours ago, Jashin said:

Is F1 the only top flight series not to feature a single spec / balance of performance regulations / success ballast? It's no wonder that it can be so lop sided really. 

Depends what you mean by both single spec and top series. 

Indycar has multiple engines, a spec chassis sure but I think we're discovering the listed parts regs in F1 are fairly generous.

Nascar has multiple engines and cars, but with an aero template.

I don't *think* Super GT has any of those things in the GT500 class.

I still want to believe the theory that Seb is a major investor - in my world he'd take over Friday practice sessions to test the cars to make them better while running the sporting side of operations. :wub:

Kind of like an F1 player / manager. Nurture exiting new talent. Poach and bring home Newey. 

Don't play that video, he's literally just downloaded someone else's and uploaded it as his own. You probably guessed by the engine noise but that's not a 2020 F1 whatever the title says, it's the 2008 car running a few years ago.

37 minutes ago, Dudley said:

You probably guessed by the engine noise but that's not a 2020 F1 whatever the title says, it's the 2008 car running a few years ago.

Of course, that's why I said it would be faster. Though being 2008 no less painful, those few seconds of joy at Massa looking like world champion.

Quite looking forward to Mugello, something new yet nostalgic. Corners 2 and 3 give me instant flashbacks to MotoGP on the Xbox and many hours on the Forza 2 demo.