Formula One - 2020

Crofty + Karun on commentary was too much for me. I've got ringing in my ears. They both feel like we need to hear constant talking all the time instead of just giving insight now and then. Total white noise throughout the race. 

Hamilton making a bit of an arse of himself post-race with his "they're trying to stop me" comments. He was always compromised before the race anyway so 2nd place was his best chance realistically. 

I get the feeling Red Bull should/could be losing patience with Albon. I was thinking during the race I'd rather have Perez, who is out of F1 next season as it stands, over Albon. Of course they still have plenty of other options so I won't be susprised to see another shake up towards the end of the season. 

At Ferrari, there's a mix of Leclerc working wonders and Vettel having a loose nut somewhere in the car. 

Shite track, get rid of it.

Rather than the penalty being changed I think they’re just now saying the team are to blame for it, not Lewis. Think the penalty itself would have happened either way.

Perhaps Lewis might want to direct his ‘they’re trying to stop me’ comments towards his team rather than the stewards; second time in three races that poor judgement from the pit wall has cost him.

It's a bit frustrating to have the results of a race decided because a driver did a test start in the wrong position. 

There are occasions when a simple reprimand is the right way to go. Akin to a referree in football tells a player their tackle was on the line instead of giving them a straight yellow/red. 

We all know the FIA are a bunch of clowns, nothing should surprise, and I've noticed people trying to link his T-Shirt from Mugello and the decision around his practice starts, which I could also see Hamilton buying into.

Not saying that's what's happened just what I've seen from some people on social media and don't agree with at all. I think the FIA were correct to apply the time penalties, but as DC and Webber kept pointing out, Magnussen and Grosjean pull all sorts of shit almost every weekend but don't receive the points on their licence, I think that's probably why the FIA chose to retract those penalty points.

19 minutes ago, McCoy said:

It's a bit frustrating to have the results of a race decided because a driver did a test start in the wrong position. 

There are occasions when a simple reprimand is the right way to go. Akin to a referree in football tells a player their tackle was on the line instead of giving them a straight yellow/red. 

Whilst I agree to an extent if they did that then where does it end? What punishment would work if not time? Money... how much is enough to deter something that offers real benefit (obviously it didn’t here really).

2 minutes ago, wev said:

We all know the FIA are a bunch of clowns, nothing should surprise, and I've noticed people trying to link his T-Shirt from Mugello and the decision around his practice starts, which I could also see Hamilton buying into.

Not saying that's what's happened just what I've seen from some people on social media and don't agree with at all. I think the FIA were correct to apply the time penalties, but as DC and Webber kept pointing out, Magnussen and Grosjean pull all sorts of shit almost every weekend but don't receive the points on their licence, I think that's probably why the FIA chose to retract those penalty points.

They retracted the points because the team took the blame (and probably rightly) for saying it was okay when Lewis asked. No reason to penalise a licence for a driver doing what the team told him was okay.

The oddity was that it suggests they gave those points without listening to all the radio.

My biggest problem with the stewards today was the whole “left of the bollards if you miss the corner” on turn 2. I agree with the concept but I feel like in this case cars up on some of the sausage kerbs and losing time were being asked to make a very sharp turn left to get over to the bollards. So if you missed by miles it was okay, bollards in front of you. But make most of it (and rattle your car over the kerb) and you have to do something dramatic.

Like RIC, yes he was wide on the exit. But he lost time from it. He may not have lost a place because Ocon was letting him pass and slowed too so he stayed ahead.

I get that they need a clear rule but this didn’t feel quite right. Which is true for most of their track limits bullshit in truth. It’s good they’re doing something this year but it is still crazy when one or two corners are defined as having limits and others are just a fucking free for all. Simple one wheel inside the white lines at all times. I wouldn’t even allow the cases where kerbs count as the white line. It’s fair for all so there can be no bitching.

I understand the time penalty, it was the points that I didn't agree with and I'm glad they retracted them. It didn't really make that much difference to the result, Bottas was always likely to win due to him being on the optimum tyre strategy and helpfully avoided questions being asked about how with the tow he still failed to pass Hamilton at the start . All the 10 seconds meant was Hamilton finished third instead of second. Let's see what the new confident Bottas can do at the next race. 

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

Aren't motorsports stricter on things like this because fucking up outside the rules has the potential to kill someone? Not that all incidents would lead to that but you gotta be safe

Bit of a ruckus on Reddit. Finnish commentators detailed specifics of Hamilton’s penalty today before the race started - about 20 minutes before the penalty was actually given. The implication is that Mika Salo was leaking information to them. It’s blown up out of proportion because someone picked up that this could unfairly influence betting, since you could for example have bet on Bottas to win the race while his odds were still unfavourable, for example. 

22 minutes ago, ryodi said:

The side by side of the Leclerc incident with Hamilton’s from Austria is good as well.

Leclerc gets away with another one,

The Mercedes failed to get out of the way of the Ferrari in the left vid... after they played their veto card....

12 hours ago, Freeman said:

Not going to lie... I've been glad of my 6 year old asking questions through this one.  She was fascinated by the leader board on the screen, and the shortened names, the tyre types, though I'm glad there is no one else here when she shouts "Hamilton is a pig!" and laughs a lot, not helped by his name being shortened to HAM as she's realised today of course.  This comes from the book Hamilton's Hats, where Hamilton is indeed a pig...

Funnily enough my 6 year old decided today was the day to start asking questions. Hearing him have a go at pronouncing the drivers’ names was nice. 

Is no one going to talk about the fact Hamilton still had a tyre over the white line on the final corner of the lap he had deleted in qualifying? How do mistakes like that slip through?

7 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Funnily enough my 6 year old decided today was the day to start asking questions. Hearing him have a go at pronouncing the drivers’ names was nice. 

Is no one going to talk about the fact Hamilton still had a tyre over the white line on the final corner of the lap he had deleted in qualifying? How do mistakes like that slip through?

Isn’t that the reason it was deleted or are you saying it was Hamilton’s mistake? 

1 minute ago, Shimmyhill said:

Isn’t that the reason it was deleted or are you saying it was Hamilton’s mistake? 

I thought all four tyres had to be over the line and into the green to be considered out of track limits. 

19 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

I thought all four tyres had to be over the line and into the green to be considered out of track limits. 

He had all 4 off in the deleted lap I thought -  he was lucky not to crash after skating the sausage curb unless there is a pic suggesting he didn’t have all 4 off the track?

I could be wrong (distracted by Vettel’s shunt) but I think Hamilton’s deleted lap was for an excursion earlier in the lap, not the final corner.

edit: I was wrong! Although I think the TV director went shortly afterwards to a shot of Bottas keeping it inside on the same corner, and Crofty probably thought it was Lewis.

1 hour ago, Meers said:

No wonder. His manager is Jean Todt's son, Nicholas Todt. 

What could you possibly be implying? Surely not. This would be unprecedented. The red team getting away with murder? I can't see it. The FIA is far above that.