Formula One - 2020

Eh, he's toned it down a bit compared to other times he's opened his mouth about whether Hamilton is one of the greats or not, in fact he seems to believe there's been no "All Time Greats" since Clark, in that article he doesn't seem to acknowledge Senna or Schumacher either.

Liuzzi going backwards into the digger after the earlier shot of F1 cars flying off the track at full speed as another digger goes onto the track in the rain in 2007 makes me wince. If only something was done then, it's 6 years ago yesterday that Jules Biachi had his accident.

It's a good job there's no environmental concerns at the moment or worries about forests in Brazil. Otherwise a plan to move the Brazilian GP to Rio for a new track that requires the felling of thousands of trees would be a really bad look.

Replace a great track for a Tilke track in felled forest, that certainly sounds like F1 management.

I really don't know about Mick. He seems to take longer than some drivers to find his feet in a new category, but once he gets going he's not too bad at all. I'll keep an open mind on him until he's had a season or so of F1 under his belt. I think him and Ilott will end up in F1 next year, perhaps as Haas team mates or one at Alfa alongside Kimi and one at Haas alongside K-Mag (who I think has been driving pretty well this season).

Reckon it's quite likely now that Shwartzman's career could do with an extra year baking gently in the F2 oven.

19 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Pretty sure Bruno won a few GP2 races didn’t he?

He did indeed, 3 in total over a couple of seasons. Side by side, the boy cobbler has a much, much better win record than that of Bruno. So I stand corrected.

I'd love to have been wrong, Bruno always came across as a nice bloke, just with much less talanet than his uncle. I'd lay that squarely at the fact he probably started racing too late.

Daddy cobbler was no great shakes away from F1, could it be history repeating??

1 hour ago, marsh said:

He did indeed, 3 in total over a couple of seasons. Side by side, the boy cobbler has a much, much better win record than that of Bruno. So I stand corrected.

I'd love to have been wrong, Bruno always came across as a nice bloke, just with much less talanet than his uncle. I'd lay that squarely at the fact he probably started racing too late.

Daddy cobbler was no great shakes away from F1, could it be history repeating??

His family wouldn’t let him race for years after 94 right?

I believe that to be the case, yeah. Bruno isn't too bad, really. His main asset turned out to be his main curse: his surname. Anything other than sheer genius was never going to match up to his uncle's legacy. The surname thing has always been a bit of a mixed bag of blessings for people like Damon Hill, Jacques Villeneuve, Nico Rosberg etc but in Bruno's case that surname was an especially heavy mantle to bear given Ayrton's almost god-like worship in his home country, in Japan and amongst a huge amount of Formula One fans.

Bruno's done ok in sportscars. And if F1 hadn't come knocking Mickey would have made a great sportscar driver.

This years F2 is a bit of a back to year zero with the new bigger wheels so I wouldn't put much store in the results. Mick is ok, but i'm yet to be impressed with any of his drives. 

But he'll get the Giovinazzi's seat and have no expectations on him for a year or so. He may be great, maybe not. I think the likes of Lando, Verstappen and Leclerc will be dominating and Mick won't get the chance to step up.

Yeah, always remember Sauber have 1 seat, the other belongs to Ferrari.

What this tells me is Ferrari are bringing in Mick and Sauber want a mentor presence.  I imagine the new chilled out midpack Kimi will have absolutely no issue with that.

Mick is absolutely a 2nd year driver, just pop on Wikipedia and look at his jr single seater record but its universally "Midfield year 1, win or 2nd year 2".

If you'd told me in the autumn of 2006 that Kimi Raikkonen would in all likelihood end up mentoring and being team mate to Michael Schumacher's son I am not entirely sure if I'd have believed it.

Makes much more sense, in terms of marketing, for Ferrari to place Schumacher at Alfa than Haas too, I'd imagine. Having the Schumacher name attached to the Alfa Romeo brand won't hurt them at all.