Formula One - 2020

Red Bull prefer pairing Max with no hopers because that way Max has no competition for then podium. Every other time a team has been dominant the remaining podium has at least been a contest between the drivers of the second best team but Max knows he’s more likely to lap his teammate than race him for a podium.

I’d put Checo in the second Red Bull. He’s fast, experienced and will bring sponsorship money which will be useful when RB start building their own engines.

Of all the drivers available to RB I'd pick Perez last. Yes he will pick up points a plenty but he is right at the end of his career and he'd be sat in a race winning car. He's the most likely the say f it and try do a Rosberg. He'd end up rocking the boat for sure. Hulk I think would be more than happy to just get podiums. George is smart enough to play the long game if he got in.

From what I can see Haas NEED Perez. If George keeps his seat and Perez to Hass doesn't happen I would be amazed. Gene and Carlos will kiss and make up imo. Points a plenty, smaller repair bill than the current two and DOSH. Absolute no brainer.

I don't think George is actually available, they'll have him 3rd driver for a year if they have to.

If they want to hedge against a leaving Max there's very few actually available, they're supposed to use AT for that but they've already rather blown this.

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I don't think George is actually available, they'll have him 3rd driver for a year if they have to.

If they want to hedge against a leaving Max there's very few actually available, they're supposed to use AT for that but they've already rather blown this.

Yes but only if they are really going to stick him in the Merc for 2022. I don't think Toto is going to burn his career having him sit on the sidelines. If he has no plans to put him in the Merc I think he'd let him go (for now).

Oh I think he does but I also think he thought Lewis was going to retire sooner.

Ocon had a shot but I think he's rather torpedoed that this year.  He's a Bottas at best, not a Hamilton.

Russell could be a Hamilton.

20 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Oh I think he does but I also think he thought Lewis was going to retire sooner.

Ocon had a shot but I think he's rather torpedoed that this year.  He's a Bottas at best, not a Hamilton.

Russell could be a Hamilton.

Use or lose...

I think that when you have a car that's so dominant that your number 2 drivers points tally is kind of irrelevant, you can afford to take a punt on someone that's showing alot of promise in a dog shit car.

Mercedes are making a mistake by keeping Bottas on as number 2 over Russell

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

They say it's to make the wheel lighter and more responsive with less inertia. I don't know how much difference an LCD screen makes to that in reality.

Worst 'we're skint' excuse ever.

It's been like that for years now has it not? it was talked about at the time for being different to the others. It's quite good for onboard footage as you can see it. I think it's particularly good on the evening races. 

16 hours ago, Meers said:

This is for real. Good one, Max... ya numbskull.

r94ponfq6fv51.thumb.jpeg.c804e61678af701e3bd7521efbd1a4ae.jpeg

The funny thing about that is in Scotland the L isn't pronounced. well everyone I've heard use the phrase, growing up in Glasgow in the 80/90s that's alot never said the L

Saudi Aribia! That er, that could be interesting.

Re: 23 races.  It won’t actually be 23 races.

For legal reasons, they have to include all races which have a contract for next year even if it is clear that some of them won't occur. So I think we can assume there won't be any street circuits next year at the very least and there will be other circuits which simply cannot afford to operate a GP with revenue from fans being allowed into the circuit (Netherlands as an example). So more likely 17-18 races.

The problem is now you're at virtually every week during the season being a race then unless your life is F1 you're no longer watching them all. And once you don't you'll probably find that, like me, you watch fewer than you'd watch when there were a sensible number.

Plus it means races mean less.  A retirement? It's 1/23rd of the races it'll probably change nothing.  A win? Meh it's barely a needle change in the championship.

So you've got races all the damn time, all of which now unimportant to the grand scheme of things.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The problem is now you're at virtually every week during the season being a race then unless your life is F1 you're no longer watching them all. And once you don't you'll probably find that, like me, you watch fewer than you'd watch when there were a sensible number.

Plus it means races mean less.  A retirement? It's 1/23rd of the races it'll probably change nothing.  A win? Meh it's barely a needle change in the championship.

So you've got races all the damn time, all of which now unimportant to the grand scheme of things.

It was mentioned in a podcast a few days ago but should F1 look at mixing up the schedule a bit.  We always have races on a Sunday, but want about scheduling a few mid week races, like on a Tuesday at 7PM. 

Football has shown that mid week games can happen and frankly F1 races on 1PM on a Sunday has long being a fairly inconvenient time to try and plonk yourself down in front of the TV for a few hours.

I'd definitely be up for a few midweek evening races particularly if the calendar does keep expanding. I don't really know which races lend themselves to Europe evening races (presumably Europe time races in the evening and things like Canada) and it does cause an issue for other territories although that's already a factor for early morning Sunday races which are broadcast in the middle of the night for places like the States. 

I’d love an evening race, as midday Sunday means I don’t watch quite a few live, but the international issue is going to be far worse in the week; a fan in the US who’d get up at 6am on Sunday isn’t going to take an afternoon off work to watch a race at noon on Wednesday, and only a super hardcore Japanese fan is going to tune in at 3 am on a school night.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The problem is now you're at virtually every week during the season being a race then unless your life is F1 you're no longer watching them all.

23 races turns it into NASCAR but it does mean whatever number Hamilton declares at when it comes to wins / titles the next generation of drivers will have plenty of races to match them. I'd rather they did IndyCar style double headers at the same track on the same weekend if they want to increase the race count.

6 hours ago, davadvice1 said:

The funny thing about that is in Scotland the L isn't pronounced. well everyone I've heard use the phrase, growing up in Glasgow in the 80/90s that's alot never said the L

Glasgow, maybe, Scotland, no.

The L is (was) absolutely said here in Dundee, though dropping the O and L was common.

I await the (never coming) apology from Max, until it comes I’ll think of Max ‘the prick’ Verstappen with all of the respect he deserves.

The charity should have written to and shamed the FIA too, their (non) response was equally pathetic, if, expected