Formula One - 2020

1 hour ago, McCoy said:

I wonder if this means that Perez has quietly got the nod for the Red Bull seat...

54 minutes ago, layten said:

I wonder if Toto reminded Williams' new owners that F1 engines are really expensive?

Think it's a little bit of both .

I think Perez will end up in the 2nd Red Bull seat, Kyvat & Albon are out unless Tsunoda fails to get his superlicense - in that case I can see Albon back at AT

Max has finally kind of apologised for his remarks on the radio last weekend.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/153186/verstappen-portimao-radio-comments-not-correct

[quote]

Questioned on the subject at Imola today Verstappen conceded that the words he chose were "not the right ones."

"I mean, first of all, I never intended to offend anyone," Verstappen said at Imola on Friday.

"You know, that's never what I wanted. It happened in the heat of the moment, when you're driving at such speeds things like that can happen.

"I don't say that the words I chose were the right ones. I mean, I also know that they are not correct.

"But once again, I never meant to offend anyone with that. And besides that, of course, I was swearing at Lance, but then of course I saw him straight away after, and that's what racing drivers are as well.

"We can be angry at each other, but within five minutes when we talk to each other and look each other in the eyes then, you know, it's forgotten.

"So, I think sometimes things get a bit heated up from the outside.

"While, I never meant to hurt anyone in particular, I don't think they need to make it bigger than it is. I also know that it was not correct, but I cannot change it. Of course you learn from it. And, well, we'll do better."

[/quote]

5 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Gasly's helmet for this weekend is rather nice indeed.

Can still remember Imola 1994 as if it happened last week, which makes it slightly jarring to realise Gasly wouldn't even be born for a few years after it.

That helmet is teh sex. i hope they don't make 1:2 versions of it - I've got too many of these things on order!

Aye, May 1st 1994. I remember that day very well. Still can't believe it.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

You'll note Stroll is ahead of Perez.

Stroll recently hired the Imola circuit to do a test in an F2 car.

They didn't bother to invite Perez.

Has an F1 title been blatently 'bought' before? I mean you could argue that the whole thing is about coin going wherever it's needed but the whole Stroll thing is an obvious attempt to purchase an F1 title, or at the very least an expensive exercise in how to try and not look like an absolute cunt. Which is impressive as it's done the exact opposite.

Ferrari purchased a few over the schumi years with their extensive testing program, I just hope these people are getting paid and are not about to lose their shirt at the hands of daddy stroll.

To be fair, there was nothing stopping anyone doing that as well from other teams.  Bottas has done road car laps this year for instance.

I heard some unverified tales of the Chilton brothers doing much, much more dodgy versions of this back in their lower formula days from someone who absolutely would have known.

We're talking "The rules said you couldn't test but only covered Britain so we shipped 2 cars to Spain to test something sub-F4 level" here.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

To be fair, there was nothing stopping anyone doing that as well from other teams.  Bottas has done road car laps this year for instance.

I heard some unverified tales of the Chilton brothers doing much, much more dodgy versions of this back in their lower formula days from someone who absolutely would have known.

We're talking "The rules said you couldn't test but only covered Britain so we shipped 2 cars to Spain to test something sub-F4 level" here.

I remember speaking to staff at Pembrey circuit who told me that F1 teams had still run tests there despite testing being banned, because who would know; not sure I believed that though. 

I know there's a million reasons it won't ever actually happen but I'm always in favour of opening up as much as possible, let Ferrari come here and do 1000 laps if you like.

At the end of the season though, all 10 cars as raced get put in a warehouse and the tech staff of all the teams can look at whatever they want.

You'd still get Mercedes dominance, but you might not get it for 8 seasons and counting.

11 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I know there's a million reasons it won't ever actually happen but I'm always in favour of opening up as much as possible, let Ferrari come here and do 1000 laps if you like.

At the end of the season though, all 10 cars as raced get put in a warehouse and the tech staff of all the teams can look at whatever they want.

You'd still get Mercedes dominance, but you might not get it for 8 seasons and counting.

I suggested this on r/f1 a while back because I think inspecting the cars solves a lot of problems, and self polices the budget too, because why waste £1B on a car if your competitor gets to see it at the end of the season - it’s not sustainable over multiple seasons. No one agreed though. 

It's great, it's a proper cost cap and allows you to have a tech driven series.

The cost cap becomes "Exactly what 1 championship is worth to you".

2009's a good demo of that, Brawn came up with something smart and it won them a title.  It was something easily spotted and copied so it was short term.

Great.  And certainly better than more and more "spec parts" and "Development freezes".

We already know the 2021 champion is Lewis Hamilton. That's just depressing.

Would they also get to see the data in this situation? 

I wouldn't mind either way, if not then the skill comes from being able to reverse engineer parts for your car, if you can see the data then you'll get a better idea of the parts that are genuinely making a difference

Also worth bearing in mind they're getting this data in december so you'd only get part benefit in the next year because your design was already largely done.

So if you nail an advantage you'd effectively get a year to use it and a year where you'd still have the best version.

It actually drives technological advancement because not only can you open up the rules a little you also mean that you can't coast for years on a good idea no-one can figure out.