Formula One - 2020

I get the feeling this year will see no racing at all. Regs to be pushed to 2022 (maybe) as well. 

Maybe F1 will go back to the 70’s /80’s where engine and cars were used year on year with upgrades.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

I get the feeling this year will see no racing at all. Regs to be pushed to 2022 (maybe) as well. 

Maybe F1 will go back to the 70’s /80’s where engine and cars were used year on year with upgrades.

Except Ferrari who modified the engine last year anyway....

:hat:

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It's really a better tomorrow.

F1 really has made ethical sponsorship its mission over the last few years winnow y'know.

2 hours ago, mexos said:

It already should be this, it’s ridiculous that they build a completely new car every year. 

The problem is, Mercedes and Ferrari have £300m they will spend it, if the only product they're allowed to design is the funnel on the coffee machine in the garage they'll spend £300m on it.

You pretty much can't stop them building a new car if they're allowed to build a car at all.

Plus then you'd make the sheer tedium of Lewis Hamilton cruising to 7 straight titles other than the one he fucked up the new normal.  If you can't develop, you can't catch up.

5 hours ago, mexos said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52087216

Mclaren called time on the Aus GP and maybe this is a good indiction we are not having a championship this year.

Yeah, as this goes on it's looking more likely we wont have one. 

Hate to say/think it, but I think we'll be without Renault/Haas/Williams next year as well (certainly in their current form) unless things change. 

22 hours ago, Dudley said:

The problem is, Mercedes and Ferrari have £300m they will spend it, if the only product they're allowed to design is the funnel on the coffee machine in the garage they'll spend £300m on it.

You pretty much can't stop them building a new car if they're allowed to build a car at all.

Plus then you'd make the sheer tedium of Lewis Hamilton cruising to 7 straight titles other than the one he fucked up the new normal.  If you can't develop, you can't catch up.

I like both Hamilton and Bottas a lot, and I think it might be a bit unfair on Lewis to say he's "cruising", but it would be very hard to argue in good faith that the current Mercedes dominance (and the F1/F1.5 divide) makes for compelling sport.

This might be one for @kiroquai. When was the last season, or maybe era, when the field was genuinely competitive across the board? 

I know some teams have always tended to dominate to some extent (McLaren, Williams, Ferrari and Red Bull have all had years-long stretches where they looked untouchable at the very front, just as Mercedes does now). Equally there's always someone in last place.

But has there been a period in relatively modern times where the viewer might reasonably expect to see a car from any of, say, the top six or seven teams at the front on any given weekend?

2012 maybe (well the first half at least)

Early 2000's when Williams BMW, Renault and Honda were reasonably competitive

Jordan and Stewart both won races and had multiple podiums (and pole positions) in 1999

1999 was the one I was thinking of, but that was probably only really down to Schumacher's broken leg.  I think Frentzen in the Jordan was in with a shout of the title about 3 races from the end that year.

On 02/04/2020 at 14:20, beenabadbunny said:

Max is still not doing it. By his own admission it's because he can't be sure he'd win.

This is probably a perfect illustration of why he'll be world champion one day and Albon won't.

Or an illustration of why he won't, because winning takes effort.

On 02/04/2020 at 16:43, beenabadbunny said:

But has there been a period in relatively modern times where the viewer might reasonably expect to see a car from any of, say, the top six or seven teams at the front on any given weekend?

Not really, not 6 or 7.  Although twenty years ago it was a lot more possible for a car to spring a surprise, not least because we were much less a spec sport than we practically are these days.  See Jordan coming from nowhere in 1998 or Damon Hill at Hungary a year earlier.

1990 Leyton House March and their young designer Adrian Newey made a wonderful car.... so long as the track was entirely smooth.  At Mexico they failed to Qualify it was that bad on bumps.  2 weeks later they went to the newly resurfaced and perfectly flat Paul Ricard and literally dominated the race until the cars started to fail.  One of them still finished 2nd.

Other than the weirdness of early 2012, you've got 2009 where Brawn stole a March but were never THAT dominant and with some teams having KERS and some not, some having the double diffuser that was so good on the Brawn and some not, there were multiple teams who could be somewhere in the general region.

But then Red Bull and then Mercedes basically spanked the field.  And it's exacerbated by deliberately or otherwise both teams having 2nd drivers that could rarely challenge.

On 02/04/2020 at 14:20, beenabadbunny said:

Max is still not doing it. By his own admission it's because he can't be sure he'd win.

This is probably a perfect illustration of why he'll be world champion one day and Albon won't.

Really?   Why?  Looks like the move of a coward or a bad loser to me then rather than someone who wants to be perfect?

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Williams furlough some staff and the drivers getting a 20% pay cut. 

The astonishing news there is that either of the drivers get paid anything at all.

I'm surprised Williams pay any of their drivers.  Latifi buys his ride, Mercedes buys Russell's and fuck knows why they'd pay any of their test drivers, when the best of the 4 they need to not go testing because it's basically banned is 24 and has about as much chance of getting into F1 on merit now as I do.

Perhaps it’s common for pay drivers to still get a salary from the team, but for that to be reliant on them bringing in so much sponsorship money or something, rather than them just getting paid directly by the third party.

Anyone watching the 1997 replay? The move by Schumacher on Villeneuve is even worse than I remembered it. Villeneuve is already ahead when you see Schumacher make his final decision to just turn into him. My dislike for Schumacher has been freshly renewed all these years on!

Edit: I've gone and watched a replay of '94 now and have really worked myself up :facepalm:

18 hours ago, Dudley said:

I still believe 94 was nothing wrong on Schumacher's part.

say waaaaaaaaaat.

Its terrible. He’d crashed his car, he knew he could be out of the race. I’m absolutely convinced he made a conscious decision right there and then to take Hill out. 

The way he drives and positions the car post impact is telling. It’s a professional foul. And he got away with it.

Those shots of him by the side of the track beaming from ear to ear like a Cheshire cat, I wanted to bloody rugby tackle him! 

I've had to resort to a new kind of sport.

Covid 19 dead man start quad bike sprints. The bike on the left is harder to start but faster, the bike on the right slower, well you get my drift....

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020