Formula One - 2020

1 minute ago, sprite said:

“There’s a guy f***ing running across the track!!!!!! .... that’s got to be the bravest guy I’ve ever seen.”

The stupidest. Another marshal who did that was hit and killed by a car and the fire extinguisher he was carrying also decapitated the driver. 

Just finished the race. The crash was sickening. Perez at the end is an “ahh shit”, even Stroll upside down is just a “whoops, oh dear”. Because they don’t trigger something inside you. You kind of accept those incidents as safely mitigated. But Grosjean was a big reaction. 

The though of getting trapped in the fire is terrifying, but like any of these crashes, it’s the deceleration that scares me.
You can give them all the seatbelts and neck braces in the world, but you can’t stop soft tissue, such the aorta, being ripped due to the force. And that means death.
I have no idea how he’s still alive. How he got his steering wheel off and the rim of the pod off and disconnected and undid everything. Mental. So glad he’s okay.

I’m surprised how much of the incident they showed in slow motion if I’m honest. I’d only expect that on a gore sight considering he was in intense pain in those moments. 

Gutted for Perez and Racing Point regarding the constructors points. But happy for MacClaren; Norris is so solid it seems. It’s great to see more British drivers doing well. And happy for Sainz too. He looked one of the most shaken after the incident. 

Yeah I have to say, I was a bit perturbed at how many replays they seemed to deem necessary during the red flag period. It was an almost endless stream of various views of the crash. Like, I get it - it was dramatic, and at that stage it appeared as thought Grosjean was going to be alright - but even still. His family and friends were watching that broadcast. So were family and friends of all the other drivers. I saw Danny Ric's interview after the race and he was absolutely livid about it. Just show each view one or perhaps two times and then be done with it.

Other than that, I think @Dudley was right in that there are probably not too many lessons other than 'stuff did its job'. I guess one thing they might look at is steel barriers and the design of them (I do wonder if they might try to put some kind of belt or such on them in the future), but then again I suppose there's only so much they can do and Grosjean's car did end up in a place that you'd not really think a car would end up.

The amazing thing about yesterday is that it was supposed to be the 'normal' Bahrain race before we have the slightly bonkers outer loop this coming weekend!

I can see both points of view on that one. Yes they showed the accident from multiple angles again and again - but also, crucially him getting out of the car. If you tuned in late that is the shot you want to see.

They also didn't show anything until it was clear that everyone involved was still intact. 

For me it's when they don't show the replay that I start freaking out. You know something very bad has happened.

I only watched the Channel 4 highlights but even they ran loads of footage of it and clips of pit crew etc all looking worried when they had no need to do so. Show the crash, show a couple of replays so we know what led to it, show Grosjean escaping and sitting in the medical car, interviews with Gunther and then the track crew repairing the barriers, go to ad break, come back to the cars lining up to go again.

I appreciate that during a live broadcast you need to fill the time (90 minutes?) with something else, and that Channel 4 show what Sky/Liberty give them, but there has to be some element of choice over how much they show

I'm happy for them to replay the crash once we know he's broadly fine.

I am still annoyed they felt the need to replay his friends and colleagues watching the crash without any idea of if Grosjean was ok.  And then showing them doing that in slow motion.

Yeah that felt very off.

In related news, RoGro won't be racing this upcoming weekend so Haas are going to put Pietro Fittipaldi in the car for the weekend as he's the most available of any Ferrari/Haas linked junior. Can't say I've noticed him being anything other than reasonably decent so far in his junior career but will be interesting to see how he gets on.

1 hour ago, mexos said:

They also didn't show anything until it was clear that everyone involved was still intact. 

36 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I'm happy for them to replay the crash once we know he's broadly fine.

Yeah this is how I feel as well. I think they made the right decisions of not showing anything until they were certain he got out alright. If he hadn't (and thankfully he has) gotten out then I'm sure they wouldn't have showed anything. Maybe Ric didn't realise this when he spoke his mind about it.

There is a long delay between crashes and replays now. It was only because it was caught on the live broadcast because it happened so close to the start that we saw any of it before knowing Grosjean was safe. At Spa this year there was a long wait between the yellow flag appearing and then actually showing you what happens when Giovanazzi crashed and his tyre hit Russell’s car. Once they knew Grosjean was safe they were always going to replay it constantly because it’s now content and will no doubt fill a lot of Sky’s pre race shows this weekend.

1 hour ago, wev said:

I only watched the Channel 4 highlights but even they ran loads of footage of it and clips of pit crew etc all looking worried when they had no need to do so.

Yeah this is spot on, I forgot about that. The multiple replays, close up on the female team members all upset right at the moment it happened was not cool. They clearly (like I did) feared the worst in that moment. Zero need to replay that.

You know, I think they should show the people's reactions.  Perhaps not multiple times, but I believe that once they have confirmation everyone is ok, it is right to show the reality of the situation. These are real human beings and this is the reality of the sport. Some people may find that hard but I feel it's wrong of those people to artificially create a mental disconnect between their perceived entertainment and the reality.

Don't get me wrong, the TV director should not dwell on the pictures, for sure. There is a line between showing the reality of a situation and then morbidly cashing in. However, just as much as we should (and do) show the elation of a team or driver in triumph, we should also show that heartbreak of Hakkinen in Monza, Russel at Imola, the worry and then massive relief of a team when they see their driver emerge from the impossible.