Formula One - 2020

Catching up late, what a race. I feel for Russell but Perez deserved it. Racing Point have been there all year, they’ve been consistent in not making errors and Perez was amazing all race.

Russell made Bottas look very much second rate, sure he wasn’t Hamilton fast but given how few miles he’s done in the car, and that he was asking what buttons did what etc, amazing!

Fingers crossed the champ decided to chill for another week in his recovery and let’s George have another go!

Next season will be Bottas' last. Merc will want Russell in the team proper in time for Hamilton retiring and he's shown he is ready now. Merc are in a really good place in every aspect, besides the odd team fuck up that happens once or twice a season. 

I'm struggling to think of a time when Bottas impressed me, maybe when he was at Williams but he's just so second rate in the Merc and was shown up massively today. He doesn't belong in a top team imo. On a good day he gets the podium, on a bad day he's just no where and can't seem to out drive the car when struggling unlike the AAA drivers on the grid. 

Delighted for Perez, he's been excellent and I'd love to see him in the Red Bull next season. If it were me I'd just let Albon get his season done and out the way before announcing the switch. It's a cut throat business at Redbull and they desperately need a teammate who can push Max and the Mercs.

Not a fan of Yas Marina but hopefully the race for 3rd in the championship keeps it interesting. 

28 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

Hamilton in effect personally won the Constructor’s Championship today, as Red Bull now can’t catch his points tally for the season.

That’s always misleading though, because if you take away Bottas from the races and move everyone that finished behind him up one position, the Constructors’ would probably look different. 

4 hours ago, Wallace said:

Next season will be Bottas' last. Merc will want Russell in the team proper in time for Hamilton retiring and he's shown he is ready now.

No doubt, but will Mercedes have the best car in 2022? Probably, but history says it's not a certainty. 

5 hours ago, Blue said:

No doubt, but will Mercedes have the best car in 2022? Probably, but history says it's not a certainty. 

If you were placing a bet you'd go with Merc, they're so far ahead at the moment that they've got plenty of time to prep for 2022.

6 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Russell’s overtake (you know the one I mean) was absolutely excellent. Late on the brakes, perfect line, the balls to follow it through. I can’t wait to watch his future. 

Yeah, that was great. Bottas only just about gave him enough room but he was coming through, like it or not. Great stuff. On reflection, I think the thing that impressed me the most about Russell yesterday was that he had two major setbacks in the buggered pitstop(s) and then the puncture, but after both occasions he clinically started cutting through the field and making use of his equipment again.

In an unfamiliar car that was probably more than a little uncomfortable by that stage of the race and having had a deserved victory ripped away from him twice in about fifteen minutes, the fact he didn't clang into someone or throw the car off the road trying something silly was very impressive to me. 

Red Bull have to give Perez the seat now for next season, it's a no brainer.  I like Albon but the gap between him and Max has been huge all season.  If both Mercs and Max drop out like they did yesterday, you would expect the second Red Bull to be right up there but no, finished 6th. Perez will surely be closer to Max than Albon if given the chance.

I was so impressed with Russell. The way he outclassed Bottas was amazing when you consider the lack of time he had in a car that he did not even properly fit in!  His overtake on Bottas was exceptional.  Zero mistakes, it's a slam dunk he will have a full time Merc drive in the future, if not next season (which I’m assuming will be difficult seeing as Bottas and Russell both have contracts for next season with their respective teams) then surely 2022.

What an amazing race overall, the shorter track certainly created great racing.  I hope we see this track again.

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Meanwhile, another addition to my somewhat oversized BAR/Honda/Brawn/Mercedes collection rocked up this morning. It's rather nice - shame it's a race remembered for Mercedes having a bit of a 'mare! (Like yesterday, funnily enough).

IMG_5006.thumb.jpg.cdec06d8a0e3ccfd21523347ea8804ac.jpg

Is it the special broken front wing edition?

Amongst his own team celebrating his win on the pit wall as he crossed the line, Perez had his two former teams also tipping their hats to him; McLaren had a guy on the pit wall taking a photo of the car going across the line, and Alfa Romeo (Sauber) had 'PER' on their pit board too :)

EoorBisWEAIIb6j.png.b61ab3d5fc5774de9cc26c5c95a05d6b.png

EDIT: @mexos that would have made it even more unique, granted! :lol:

Their websites both give their teams, and Toto said Bottas had a contract yesterday. 

I think it would be extremely bad form an unprofessional to publicly drop him like that just because of the drive George did. There’s no need to rush it.

It will be far more enjoyable stretched out anyway. Russell is no age. We’ll have years to enjoy him. As soon as he gets in that car there’s no turning back. No excuse to be anything but brilliant. I don’t want that for him. 10-15 years of the ultimate expectation   Bleh. 

There are two sides to it though; a couple of years back it seemed Ocon was being lined up to eventually replace Hamilton and there were the same “he should be there instead of Bottas” calls, but then Russel came along and took his place in the queue without Ocon getting a go in the big seat. If Mercedes stick with the Hamilton/Bottas combo for another couple of years Russel might find the same happens to him.

Oh from George's perspective if the chance comes up you grab it.

Remember CLC went to Ferrari after one year and it seemed early, but maybe that chance wouldn't have been there otherwise, maybe Gio would have smashed it for instance.

But 2021 is a complete freebie for Mercedes, they shouldn't be making changes.  I still think Lewis will go after 2021 but if I'm wrong they can hire for 2022 to replace Bottas.

Remember how only a few months ago Russell was going to lose his seat and be replaced with a pay driver at Williams. Now they are owned by private equity I wonder if they’ll happily take the money for Russell and get a pay driver for next season while his stock is so high.

I also think missing a race makes Hamilton more likely to prolong his career. He would have seen Sunday as a race he would have won and won’t want to walk away from a car that’s still the class of the field.

10 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I also think missing a race makes Hamilton more likely to prolong his career. He would have seen Sunday as a race he would have won and won’t want to walk away from a car that’s still the class of the field.

Well that's why he'll be there next year.

It's also why 2022 is a risk.

Merc will take Russel now, give him a year or two happily playing second fiddle to Hamilton "learning his trade", then give him the number one spot when Hamilton goes. 

Why keep Bottas whose head had gone completely and is only just keeping Albon honest.

This is a race team, not a charity.  

:blah:

Williams get Bottas and a wheelbarrow of cash/free engines.

Bottas gets paid by Merc for the year on the same rate to drive for Williams + a golden handshake.

Lewis gets a thorn in his side for 2021.

We get fireworks.

MAKE IT HAPPEN.