rllmuk
Mr Tony

Formula One - 2020

5 hours ago, marsh said:

@GwiDan more than happy to loan you my copy, it's not a cheap read....

It’s awesome of you to offer, but at the glacial pace I’m going through books at the moment I’ll just add it to my amazon list. 

• Upvote 1

German media are all over this story that Vettel is leaving Ferrari. I don’t see it. 

1 minute ago, mexos said:

Say waaaaaat

Multiple sites are saying it, it just hasn’t hit anything English yet. 

Sainz? Ric?...HAM?

My money would be on Sainz, but I’d LOVE to see Danny back in a proper car.

Gio is not good enough. Don’t you dare f this up Ferrari.

I could see Hamilton if they throw crazy money at him. He could be arrogant enough to think he can do it - and he might even manage it. I like that option best because it would surely mean Vettel to Mercedes. 

I think if they don’t sign Hamilton, whoever goes there will be a number 2. Would Ricciardo or Sainz want that? 

Or they sign Alonso again. 

(Or Raikkonen.)

Looks like the Vettel news is official now. Apparently he wanted a 3 year extension and Ferrari didn’t. 

It’s official, seb... oh, you already know.

I still think Hamilton would be crazy to switch to Ferrari, he doesn't have enough time left in his career to rebuild them like Schumacher did and the team being a shitshow is the normal with the Brawn glory years the exception. Does anyone else think Vettel will retire now, I cannot see him dropping down to a lesser car.

I think retirement is the most likely. The only place I can see him going is Mclaren IF Ferrari poach Sainz.

If Danny gets the nod I can't see Mclaren choosing him over Sainz. 

Normally you'd say that whoever goes in will be number 2 to LeClerc but next year's different, isn't Verstappen still the only driver to have a 2021 contract?

In other news, I see Horner's trying to make Mercedes out to be the bad guy in regards to Australia being cancelled, he says they refused to supply engines to Racing Point and Williams

I know he’s not popular,  but I think he generally did an excellent job, given that Ferrari is a clown show. He had a couple of poor results down to personal error, but I think he generally outperformed the car. 

Ferrari, who have been runners up to possibly the most professional/consistent team ever in F1 over the last few seasons have now been described as a clown/shitshow in the last few posts.  Not many shades of grey here.

• Empathy 1

It says more about the quality of the rest of the field frankly. 

Given their resources, special payments and the drivers they've had I'd have to say they've massively under performed. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I still think Hamilton would be crazy to switch to Ferrari, he doesn't have enough time left in his career to rebuild them like Schumacher did and the team being a shitshow is the normal with the Brawn glory years the exception. Does anyone else think Vettel will retire now, I cannot see him dropping down to a lesser car.

No I was saying Vettel could join him at Mercedes, not swap with him. I think Lewis would relish that challenge of having Vettel as a teammate. 

Although Vettel did say the following which makes it sound like retirmenent might be where his mind is at.

"What's been happening in these past few months has led many of us to reflect on what are our real priorities in life.

"One needs to use one's imagination and to adopt a new approach to a situation that has changed.

"I myself will take the time I need to reflect on what really matters when it comes to my future.

Given the situation with Ferrari, the state of the world and the quality other seats realistically available I'd give it an 80% chance he's retiring.

He is a family guy. I think he'll look at the risk to them with him going back to the circus and call time. Sad but understandable. He has 4 in the bag and nothing to prove.

TBH I can actually see him not racing at all this year. If risk to your family is part of your thoughts why bother. Just call it now. He can leave with his head held high imo.

3 minutes ago, mexos said:

Given their resources, special payments and the drivers they've had I'd have to say they've massively under performed. 

This, we're back in the early 90's when they'd deliver a car that was utter dog shit, their champion driver would run rings round the car, have a couple of shit days and then go 'honestly the car is utter toss' then they'd either sack the driver/manager/head of aerodynamics/tea boy/cleaner and then start the process all over again.

All the time threatening to take their ball away when they get found out for cheating. I know Seb has taken the piss out of Mansell, but he does act like a bit of a grumpy brummie when the opportunity presents itself. And based on that thesis, I expect him to sign for Mercedes. 

'They made me an offer I couldn't refuse'

Hamilton, who by the way is 3 years older than Vettel switching to Ferrari would be a bad idea for all concerned.

At best he hangs around to win a Ferrari championship and fucks off.  He'll either destroy LeClerc's career or his own carefully managed mystique depending on whoever is quicker.

Ferrari don't want him, they don't want to pay for him, or at least they shouldn't.  They need a solid number 2.  I agree Gio isn't proving good enough, RIC is the obvious answer, he's smart enough to know he won't win a championship now so he'll go to Ferrari, win some more races and not rock the boat.

1 hour ago, wev said:

Normally you'd say that whoever goes in will be number 2 to LeClerc but next year's different, isn't Verstappen still the only driver to have a 2021 contract?

Also Perez, LeClerc, Norris, Ocon and Russell.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, GwiDan said:

I think he’d drive for Mercedes for free.

Half the grid would. It would be amazing if they did but I can't see it.

13 minutes ago, marsh said:

This, we're back in the early 90's when they'd deliver a car that was utter dog shit, their champion driver would run rings round the car, have a couple of shit days and then go 'honestly the car is utter toss' then they'd either sack the driver/manager/head of aerodynamics/tea boy/cleaner and then start the process all over again.

All the time threatening to take their ball away when they get found out for cheating. I know Seb has taken the piss out of Mansell, but he does act like a bit of a grumpy brummie when the opportunity presents itself. And based on that thesis, I expect him to sign for Mercedes. 

'They made me an offer I couldn't refuse'

Surely this is the Ferrari we all want :wub:

c61ee4b1774c3c61f8d5cdbaef40d9b0.jpg

Hulkenberg runs #27! Hulk + Gold Wheels!!

• Upvote 2

I don't think Merc would be interested in giving him any kind of a long term deal either.  They've pretty much got Russell's garage banner made already as the long term Hamilton replacement.  

This is Vettel's problem with a big move, he's no-one's long term replacement for anything.

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

Also Perez, LeClerc, Norris, Ocon and Russell.

Perez and Ocon friction = no thanks

Norris - too inexperienced. They'll want a grown up to pair him with.

Ocon, same deal as Perez. 

Russell - imo far more likely to get Bottas seat than Ocon. Toto would block it.