Formula One - 2020

1 minute ago, layten said:

Imagine if they had managed to stick Alonso in that car for this season.

Damn right. He always wanted to drive a Merc too.

Is Alonso the only driver to have raced F1 cars with Power Units from all 4 of the current manufacturers? Button and Kimi both raced 3 each but I think Alonso might be the only one to have raced all 4. I'm sure I'll be proved wrong in a moment.

So Alonso has used the Ferrari, Honda and Renault hybrid power units but not a Mercedes-powered one. He has, however, used a Mercedes engine in the back of his 2007 McLaren so you are right in that he has used something from each of them and pissed off at least 50% of them whilst doing so.

None of the other current drivers have used all four as you say. Kvyat has used all of them apart from Mercedes.

Yeah I just meant engines from the current 4 regardless of whether they were Hybrid or not. 

Alonso has actually raced PUs from 5 different makes. His first season was with a Ford Ztect motor. So his F1 engines were Ford, Renault, Mercedes, Renault, Ferrari, Honda, Renault...Renault.

Sorry I know this is dull as dishwater as far topics of conversation go. Just can't think of another driver whose had such a menagerie of PUs (his got Toyota and Chevrolet outside of F1 too).

I guess JB also had 4 if you count BMW. Ok, I'll stop now.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

So Alonso has used the Ferrari, Honda and Renault hybrid power units but not a Mercedes-powered one. He has, however, used a Mercedes engine in the back of his 2007 McLaren so you are right in that he has used something from each of them and pissed off at least 50% of them whilst doing so.

None of the other current drivers have used all four as you say. Kvyat has used all of them apart from Mercedes.

Did I just out trivia you?

Kevin Magnussen has driven all 4 on race weekends.  Mercedes 14, Honda 15, Renault 16, Ferrari 17-date. He's one Honda warm up break down from racing all of them.

• Upvote 2

Ah yes, Adrian Sutil. He was the human embodiment of the Sauber C33, which ironically he drove:

Adrian_Sutil_2014_Singapore_FP2.jpg

It existed in Formula One at a certain point of time, but you can't really remember it and it never did anything particularly good.

I totally forgot we have a fantasy league running! Here's the results so far!

#1 MoaningTurdsOnWheels 444

#2 Alan F1 377

#3 Flow Viz 361

#4 You are 0.8 secs ahead of ***********  358

#5 Team FIA "Settlement" 356

#6 Ferrariroquai 351

#7 SneakyF1 345

#8 Bushtopher Pointless Racing 342

#9 Box Box Box 324

#10 Haasterical 295

#10 Mr Tony Motorsport 295

#12 Lawrence Stroll's Debit Card  294

#13 BakerSport F1 293

#14 BARING IS FASTER THAN YOU, SORRY MATE 292

#15 Papaya Dance 291

#16 Scuderia Corranga 289

#17 Footle Point 284

#18 IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN IN 283

#19 LowCostMonkey Racing 266

#20 Team Shark  254

#21 beenabadbunny  247

#22 Team Blue 233

#23 THE WHEEL! GIVE ME THE WHEEL!! 221

#24 Red Danster Racing 148

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Ah yes, Adrian Sutil. He was the human embodiment of the Sauber C33, which ironically he drove:

Adrian_Sutil_2014_Singapore_FP2.jpg

It existed in Formula One at a certain point of time, but you can't really remember it and it never did anything particularly good.

In fairness, that Sauber never glassed anyone in the face. 

• Upvote 2

Bottas to stay at Mercedes for 2021.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/150556/bottas-to-stay-at-mercedes-with-new-2021-f1-deal

While a final contract has yet to be signed off, both team and driver have agreed terms for their partnership to continue in Formula 1 at least for next year on the back of the Finn's strong start to the campaign.

The agreement, which has been put together in the last few days, came after Mercedes CEO Ola Kallenius gave his blessing during a visit to the Austrian Grand Prix to an unchanged line-up for next season.

"We'll stay with our two boys," he told Sky Germany.

The deal for Bottas will now clear the way for Mercedes to make progress in hammering out a fresh contract with Lewis Hamilton, who has yet to agree terms for next season but is also expected to stay.

I thought they might be wanting to get a potential Hamilton replacement in there as an understudy, but I suppose it makes things easier to have a driver picking up enough points to seal the constructors and grab the odd win when Lewis has an off day, but not be quite close enough for it to be a serious WDC challenge over the course of a season.

On 12/07/2020 at 15:50, JohnC said:

I didn't see last week. This remote control trophy delivery is fucking hilarious :lol:

Stolen from Reddit

image.png.2ba1484e5e1615532a2224c2ce7ad2e6.png

Not sure where to put this, so it's going in here...

My dad, like me is a motorsports and car fan.

In particular he is interested in pre-war German stuff, the original silver arrows, and more so, the Auto Unions of the time.

So, he has a fairly large memorabilia collection.  He is particularly interested in the 38 Donington GP from that time, and came across author John Bailie, who is an expert it seems.

Anyway, among dad collection, he had a film from the 38 Donington GP, a colour film.  He spent the last year or 2 trying to figure out how to get it printed so he could see the photos, I did some stuff with an old flatbed scanner to see what they looked like, and he share them with John, who used them in his latest book.

Motor Sport magazine have published some this month, you need a sub to view, but can see thimbnails here, they are really lovely photos showing what our sport used to look like!

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/august-2020/92/donington-park-1938-frozen-in-time

• Upvote 9

I'd love to see more of them. I spent many weekends during the 1990s, so it'd be awesome to see pictures of how the circuits changed over the decades

On 13/07/2020 at 10:45, mexos said:

Imagine if RP had proper top line drivers.... 

It must be something they are thinking. These opportunities may never come again for RP. You need to move NOW. Perez and Stroll imo are not good enough to consistently extract what that car is capable of.  Hell that car could easy be finishing 3rd and 4th every race for the rest of this year if they only had better drivers. 

If only someone like that was available...

Demote Stroll next year, make him test under the wing of someone like Seb to build him up. Pair Seb with a fast enough consistent podium capable driver that won't rock the boat. Bottas.

Seb and Bottas at Aston. George to Merc. :blah:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-aston-martin-deal-2021/4835200/

:sherlock:

I love that article says "They want the strongest possible line up" then makes it very clear it's Perez who is on the chopping block.

On 13/07/2020 at 18:23, MrPogo said:

I thought they might be wanting to get a potential Hamilton replacement in there as an understudy, but I suppose it makes things easier to have a driver picking up enough points to seal the constructors and grab the odd win when Lewis has an off day, but not be quite close enough for it to be a serious WDC challenge over the course of a season.

I think it's pretty clear that's going to be Russell, especially with his current performances but this weird season means they want stability.

Why are you all being so soft on Perez. Isn't this what happened when Ocon got dropped for Stroll?

Perez brought in more money, you cant tell me the yarn they spun about it being down to skill and not money was true. 

This time he's fighting for a seat Vs someone with deeper pockets than his sponsors. 

IF the stories are to be believed. 

Perez is a decently quick driver but he's also a prick (and a dangerous one at that - look at the number of times he punted Ocon into the scenery when they were teammates) so, entirely subjectively, I have no sympathy for him.

• Upvote 1

Force India really, REALLY needed money when they dropped Ocon to be fair, evidence being that despite that they went out of business.

But really my only point is, if you say you want to build the strongest possible team, you don't talk about dropping the quicker of your two drivers for the available world champion.

32 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Force India really, REALLY needed money when they dropped Ocon to be fair, evidence being that despite that they went out of business.

But really my only point is, if you say you want to build the strongest possible team, you don't talk about dropping the quicker of your two drivers for the available world champion.

Not only is he quicker, he's more consistent too

To be honest, at this stage I am not hugely convinced that Perez is a downgrade from Vettel. I think I probably am a little more positive about the guy than a lot here, but I reckon he's a really solid driver now and I reckon there's at least one driver in each of the top teams who he'd do at least as well as if he replaced them (debatable with Bottas, I suppose).

One thing that I have seen bandied about is Perez ending up at Williams and taking his backing. That would be great for them, but bad for George Russell potentially as he'd very much be left out in the cold with nowhere to go given that Latifi is bringing a huge wedge of cash to the table already for the team and likely to have more security as a result.

• Upvote 2

If Russel did get the boot I assume he’d take on the role Ocon had at Mercedes until a seat opens up. I don’t think he will be the one to lose out because they use Mercedes engines and he’s Toto’s prospect. If Perez does leave the grid I expect there won’t be many more Mexico Grand Prixs in the future, assuming F1 can return to the Americas anytime soon due to COVID.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020