Formula One - 2020

On 15/07/2020 at 14:52, kiroquai said:

I agree re: Mick and, as much as there's the part of me that would be disappointed to see Ilott and Shwartzman miss out if they perform better, I have to admit that there's a big part of me that would really like to see Mick given a chance for mostly sentimental reasons.

The only issue Ferrari might have is if Shwartzman, Ilott or Armstrong win the F2 title this year as that would preclude them from getting another year in the championship to mature a little longer, which is what I imagine they're hoping to do with each of them.

Agreed.  Ferrari seem to have about 25% of the F2/3 grids signed up at the moment, and of course have just signed Sainz, who isn't part of their programme.

It'd make sense for them to bin Gio, not just because he isn't really doing anything much, but also to show some confidence in their driver programme (beyond the cash obviously).

As it stands, I think Ilott would be top of my list for a Sauber drive.

Shwartzman (and Armstrong) spending (at least) 2 seasons in F2 is no bad thing, and Mick needs more time there too.  As it stands, he's not good enough for F1.

I'd like to see Kimi go too, as I'm always up for new drivers getting a chance, and he's becoming another Massa.

Listening to the BBC practice coverage... do they just all hate each other? Andrew Benson just gets abuse, then says something insane about what a rumour is... then that nothing can be known about any cars performance from today's running... incisive!

Just like last year a support race, this time in F2, a car has had a failure that has dumped a load of oil on the track. This time it’s from turns one to three on an already damp track so FP3 and Qualifying are going to have lots of dust on the track when they try to clean it up.

18 hours ago, fragglerock said:

Listening to the BBC practice coverage... do they just all hate each other? Andrew Benson just gets abuse, then says something insane about what a rumour is... then that nothing can be known about any cars performance from today's running... incisive!

Sounds like they just hate Benson.

Who, to be absolutely entirely fair to him, is a waste of oxygen.

I've just noticed watching the F1 intro that while Hamilton has Senna's pole lap around Monaco as the historic video playing behind him Max has his dad's car going up in flames in 1994.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I thought that but then Latifi went half a second off:)

See in a way that’s better, as it suggests they might have a much better car this year!

Then again, I think my 1.8 Honda Civic is a better car last year’s Williams so perhaps it’s not that difficult.

3 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Your boy has the attention to detail and nerdy knowledge of facts that young me would approve of :)

now he's explaining why Lewis only has 6 Silverstone wins... by listing the other winners :hat:

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Fair play to Lance Stroll, for what it’s worth. Outqualified Checo and looked pretty good. Will be interesting to see how he gets on tomorrow.

It was a good showing from him but Perez isn’t renowned as a great qualifier so I don’t think he’s a good bar to measure against for pure speed

It's impressive how close Bottas gets to Hamilton in qualification and how often he beats him as well, at least when it's dry. He's so far away in race pace that he knows it's his only chance chance to win but for someone with as many pole positions as Hamilton in what is now a one team battle for the title at least he can make qualifying interesting. 

Albon is definitely going to get booted out by Red Bull. Newey has delivered a dog of a car that Max can just about get to grips with because it his team but they are going to keep burning through their junior drivers if that keeps happening and it was good of Russell to point it out, even if Max didn't take to kindly to it. 

Unless it rains it's going to first out of turn three wins. If it's Hamilton he'll drive off into the distance but if it's Bottas the battle will be interesting. 

2 hours ago, ryodi said:

Albon is definitely going to get booted out by Red Bull. Newey has delivered a dog of a car that Max can just about get to grips with because it his team but they are going to keep burning through their junior drivers if that keeps happening and it was good of Russell to point it out, even if Max didn't take to kindly to it.

What was this?

I watched quali on my phone with the sound off so missed all the interviews etc. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020