Formula One - 2020

Hulk suggesting he’s in talks for next year. What’s the most likely bet?

Its sad as there’s really not many choices, unless he would be happy to settle into a seat like Haas or Alfa.  Surely Stroll is going to secure the second Racing Point seat.

Or maybe Lewis achieves another championship, smashes a few more records and retires?

Nah... I think he must surely want that eighth title?

To be fair, Nico was on the radio around lap 43 saying the tyres were in trouble, and you could hear it was like he was sitting on a tumble dryer. And then on the inlap after the chequered flag, he phones in again saying "I don't know what happened with that second set, they just didn't work at all" or words to that effect. 

I don't remember hearing either message on the TV broadcast but they were in the F1 app. 

Nonetheless I suspect a driver of his experience could probably have got to the end just fine. No one else in the top 10 stopped three times. 

I love his interview afterwards. Button asks him "How has the team reacted to your performance?" They both know he's actually asking "how is the team feeling about you getting into a car you've never driven before and outperforming Lance". Nico goes "I haven't talked to to them yet since the finish, but on the radio they didn't sound too enthusiastic." :lol:

11 minutes ago, sprite said:

Hulk suggesting he’s in talks for next year. What’s the most likely bet?

Its sad as there’s really not many choices, unless he would be happy to settle into a seat like Haas or Alfa.  Surely Stroll is going to secure the second Racing Point seat.

Unless they've decided they don't need Vettel...

Vettel is going to get the sack, the Hulk will be drafted in. Sergio will end up back at Alfa/Sauber, Vettel to the other racing point for 2021. Hulk to whatever seat is left open for next year, probably the test driver at RP on a huge retainer/compromise agreement.

:hat:

23 minutes ago, marsh said:

Vettel is going to get the sack, the Hulk will be drafted in. Sergio will end up back at Alfa/Sauber, Vettel to the other racing point for 2021. Hulk to whatever seat is left open for next year, probably the test driver at RP on a huge retainer/compromise agreement.

:hat:

Thought Racing Point had already announced Perez?

Vettel and Ferrari strikes me as a work arrangement where the team seem astonished that he turns up for work, in a 'shit, he's turned up, what have we got to do to get rid of this guy??'

It's comical, I fully expect them to send him out on full wets when the track temperature is 100 degrees and there isn't a cloud in the sky.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, mexos said:

Max really is brilliant. Top draw today.

He is. Still don't want the entitled little prick to win a drivers championship though, I'm not one for disliking drivers, but Verstappen? Eurgh

• Upvote 4
26 minutes ago, wev said:

He is. Still don't want the entitled little prick to win a drivers championship though, I'm not one for disliking drivers, but Verstappen? Eurgh

I’ve really warmed to him. I wouldn’t say I’m a massive fan but I get really annoyed when he gets knocked out of a race. He’s exciting and I like to see him racing. He is a bit of a dick but I kind of like it. The bants he had with Danny at RB and his fucking around ala the hydration talk, it’s all good imo.

If he doesn’t get at least 2 wdc in the bag by the time he retires I think it would be a massive shame. I really do think he has the same potential Lewis had at his age. Put him in the Merc instead of Lewis and you’d get a similar level of dominance imo.

• Upvote 1

Yea Max is the real deal. Not many can do what Lewis is doing but he’d be up there. 

He’s maturing so much. With a clean season hopefully next, he’ll be challenging. He’s consistently top 5 but those 2 or 3 retirements are not good enough. He’s had one already this season. 

He'll definitely win at least one and I personally think he's been made to look a lot more impressive by being paired with hopeless teammates who cannot get anywhere near him since Danny Ric saw which way the wind was blowing and moved to Renault. 

The real fun is going to start when he's actually fighting for a title, he's been in the sport for nearly 6 years and never really had anything to lose. Even his braindead clash with Ocon in Brazil only cost him a win, he's never fought with a championship at stake and when he does have something to risk I expect he'll go full entitled asshole. If he does move to Mercedes I cannot see him and Jos doing much for team morale there either especially if they at least maintain the pretense of not having a number one driver. I did laugh at his comment about his engineer having a drink after he made the same comment last week because it was the most unsubtle way of showing how likeable he is.

It does make me laugh that people think this performance means he's now the fastest driver on the grid or that Hamilton is lucky because he has the fastest car when Alonso is a cautionary tale of how you can be fast but if you're a pain in the ass to work with no one is going to touch you. Hamilton not rushing to pass Leclerc because he was playing percentages isn't a sign that he's lost his fight, just that with a 30 point lead why take any risks. 

• Upvote 1

Oh I highly doubt he won't win a WDC, but he's such a snide little twat who's a bit of a chip off the old block.

That said, F1 is better for him having the personality he has, same with Riccardo, Norris, to some extent LeClerc too, for a long, long time we've had drivers who, like Coulthard, are charisma vacuums who won't bend beyond how their bosses tell them to behave and I think Hamilton has played a big part in that change too. For a while he played it safe, by his own admission (based upon his Dad telling him to play the game) but since the arguably ill-advised "it's because I'm black" joke (and it was him taking the piss) he's really begun to show us alot more of his personality. Some times he gets things wrong, like him shaming his nephew and last week's Instagram balls up, but at least he's putting himself out there

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Freeman said:

They gave Hulkenberg the wrong tyre too, 10 laps on the soft that no one else wanted to, and didn’t use.

Leclerc my driver of the day to make the 1 stop work and make others in faster cars look foolish.

Ehhh, he bumbled around and only got that through attrition and boring the other drivers tyres off a cliff, it was a Perez drive - Vettel had a more exciting drive let alone Albon, Verstappen and Hulk but it’s fun to see Ferrari get so excited about fourth in their #cheatersdontprosper car and hopefully Stroll is going to rip them a new one in the upcoming court case...

• Empathy 1

Ugh. That post race talk with Hamilton. Uncomfortable. Talk about how your tyres lost you the race with your team, mate.

Oh, wait, you couldn’t get past a guy in the same car, on the same tyres, until his strategy was fucked. 

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020