Formula One - 2020

7 minutes ago, Freeman said:

So this the situation as we know it...

RP bought Merc brake duct design in 2018/19 when it was allowed.

RP didn’t use them on the car in those years.

2020 rules dictate you can’t buy brake duct designs (is it because it’s an aero part?)

RP run them, are told they are legal, but get fined for how they were designed.
There is no way they’d manage to redesign and make new ones given the tight schedule we now have (despite the factory being over the road) and now they are reprimanded each race.

Had they stuck them on the car even for a testing season last season, none of this would be happening?

That's how I understand it, yes.

It's just the reprimands that are baffling me, afaik they've been told it's okay to run them, but Renault have said they'll issue an appeal every time they run them, and this weekend the FIA gave them a reprimand for running them which resulted in Renault withdrawing their appeal for the race just gone.

It's all stupidly unclear, the FIA have said it was their fault for not making the rules clearer, so Racing Point did what they're supposed to do: found a loophole to expose.

Normally when this happens, a team appeals, the FIA flip a coin then leave/close the loophole depending on said coin toss/which team is at fault, but they don't appear to be doing that here.

So what does all this mean? Is there a limit to the number of reprimands Racing Point can receive? What happens if/when they reach that limit? Because going by Lawrence Strolls comments, he's more than happy to go to "war" with the other teams and the FIA ( and Toto Wolff was making noises that suggest he'd have his back too). If their relationship is that close, what does that mean for Williams (and George Russell) if they lodge an appeal too (which Clare has said she's considering doing)?

The FIA are making Ferrari look competent! (Though there's nothing new there either)

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Indeed! The other Ferrari Gustav Brunner designed was quite a looker, too :sherlock:, although in a neat link to earlier chat here, Adrian Newey was offered the design gig for this first and declined!

image-asset.jpeg

Wasn’t that technically an Adrian Newey car reverse engineered ;) 

7 hours ago, John0 said:

Haven't seen anyone mention this at all, but shout out to Kvyatt for beating Gasly to 10th! Gasly does seem to have a bit of a habit of falling away in the races a bit, though he's usually a bit compromised on strategy for putting his car out of position - didn't really have that excuse yesterday though.

The team already came out and apologised for screwing his strategy:

Gasly was running seventh when his team brought him in on lap seven in response to Alexander Albon’spit stop. But that left Gasly in heavy traffic.

Tost admitted the team had got its tactics wrong. “Pierre started from seventh, he had a good start and in the first few laps, he defended his position well showing good pace,” he said. “However, we clearly made a mistake strategy-wise, as we called him in too early for his first pit stop.”

Unable to pass the cars ahead, Gasly began to struggle with his tyres. “He quickly started to suffer from blistering on the rear so it was difficult for him to catch up, which meant we had to call him in again,” said Tost.

By lap 24 – while leader Max Verstappen was still running his original set of tyres – Gasly was on his third.

• Upvote 1

Barcelona is always utter tedium. Unless Pirelli up the tyre pressures again this week the only way the race will be vaguely interesting is if Bottas outqualifies Hamilton or Albon actually shows up gets vaguely near Max on the grid. 

4 hours ago, Freeman said:

Had they stuck them on the car even for a testing season last season, none of this would be happening?

I think they would have had to use them in an official session, testing isn't scruitneered.  Which is of course why they can run half a clothes horse hanging off the side of the thing.

• Upvote 1

Today's backmarker. Strictly speaking this car could be considered almost a midfielder if the exploits of the driver not shown here were anything to go by, but this fella proved hopelessly out of his depth in Formula One and was rooted pretty much to the back of the grid all season long, occasionally being beaten by cars that probably had no business beating him.

open-uri20120928-20852-wwzc66.jpg

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kiroquai said:

Today's backmarker. Strictly speaking this car could be considered almost a midfielder if the exploits of the driver not shown here were anything to go by, but this fella proved hopelessly out of his depth in Formula One and was rooted pretty much to the back of the grid all season long, occasionally being beaten by cars that probably had no business beating him.

I don't know who he is but he is My People and I love him.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

open-uri20120928-20852-wwzc66.jpg

Damn old Minardis looked fucking ace.

I actually don't recognise the helmet off hand, could be Adrian Campos.

On checking I realise Adrian Campos failed to qualify or start for both his Monaco races so that's probably not him unless it's a qualifying shot but does prove he was not a bad pick. I presume therefore it's Luis-Perez Sala.

Have to say, the 1991 Minardi is one of my favourite Formula One cars of all-time. It's a thing of beauty:

911e20e59b520f484183e1e776d958ae.jpg

As for your suspicion of who the older Minardi driver is... your initial suggestion was correct :sherlock:. That's a photo from Thursday practice, I believe.

• Upvote 4
14 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Have to say, the 1991 Minardi is one of my favourite Formula One cars of all-time. It's a thing of beauty:

911e20e59b520f484183e1e776d958ae.jpg

As for your suspicion of who the older Minardi driver is... your initial suggestion was correct :sherlock:. That's a photo from Thursday practice, I believe.

That's a beautiful thing!

The height of the kerbs at Lowe's in the earlier shot would cause some problems nowadays.

I remember going to Spain and seeing Simod trainers in the shops. So wanted them just because of Minardi.

I used to love finding out what the obscure continental F1 sponsoring brands were when on holiday. 

• Upvote 1
19 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Renault and Ferrari going ahead with their Racing Point protest. McLaren won’t be.

Cant possibly think why that would be, what about Williams?

23 minutes ago, wev said:

Cant possibly think why that would be, what about Williams?

Probably can't afford to take a piss, let alone file a complaint about a rival team.

21 hours ago, marsh said:

There must be something else on? banger racing from Wembley stadium?

Question time from Wembley stadium is on. 10 past 10 on BBC 2

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Mercedes must have sent them a picture of a Renault engine.

They've had every pu in the paddock, unless it's been hand drawn they know what it looks like.

Hard to know which side of this protest I am on. It seems to me to be more of a somewhat silly procedural mistake than anything hugely malicious. This isn’t Spygate 2.0

Lawrence Stroll rubs me up the wrong way a bit. I quite like Lance, mind, and think he’s better than a lot give him credit for.

Then there’s Ferrari. Basically, if there’s anything they can do to gain an unfair advantage, they will do it. If they think someone else has one - fair or not - they’ll stamp their feet until the FIA runs along to give them their dummy back. Then again, I like Binotto and both of their drivers.

Finally, we have Renault. Again, very likeable drivers. I find them unbelievably irritating though, because they should be doing better by now. I still love that Cyril Abitboul was interviewed at Abu Dhabi in 2018 and said that after the year they’d had, the new 2019 car was radically different and would be over 95% new. Except, it wasn’t, it looked almost identical and they seemed astonished when it sucked for exactly the same reasons the old car did. They’re like a slightly better 2013 - 2016 Sauber at this point; they’re just ‘there’.

So, to nutshell... who knows :lol:

• Upvote 2

Watching some of the behind the scenes coverage this weekend I got them impression that alot of people are unhappy with how similar the whole car is to the Merc and that it goes against the spirit of F1 but this is the only part that breaks any actual rules so this is all they have to go at RP with.

You can blame @kiroquai for this as it was on the back of his book recommendation - Echoes of Imola and subsequently incredibly timely:

'If one does not clean it up, Formula One will end up in a quagmire of plagiarism, chicanery and petty rule interpretation forced by lobbies manipulated by people for whom the word sport has no meaning' - Colin Chapman

Seems he was on to something.

• Mr Tony changed the title to Formula One - 2020