rllmuk
hub2

GeForce Now Officially Launched - Free Tier Available

(I found threads about the beta and shield version but thought the official launch deserved a thread)

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce-now/

4.99 per month but with a free tier (up to 60 minutes) if you want to give it a go.

RTX restricted to paid tier though.

Edit: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-has-geforce-now-quietly-killed-google-stadia

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

Compatibility list (hopefully kept up to date)

https://pastebin.com/DsgTxqrt

• Upvote 3

Interesting...EG seems very positive about it. I like the idea that you can use your existing cloud save with it, so you can start where you left off.  Will give it a whirl later.

I was just playing Doom. It let me sync up my steam progress (I'm essentially logging into Steam on a fresh PC) and I was away. Graphically it was a downgrade and seems to be limited to 1080p but seemed fine to me.

I've tried a bit of this on a 50MB connection and it looks much much worse than just streaming from my PC with something like Moonlight - and my PC only has a 1060.

Played a map of warframe. It controlled almost fine but looked pretty bad.

I was tempted by this as I'm paying nearly £30 for the Shadow Instance currently. However, whereas with Shadow I actually get a PC I can install and run anything I want, this seems a lot more restricted. I typed in a bunch of games and none of them are supported. Instead of providing a search box maybe it would have been easier for them to show me what was supported instead! I must admit, the price is very tempting at £5 especially if you do get 4k with RTX. The massive turnoffs currently though are again lack of supported games and many of your messages above stating that the streaming quality is rubbish.

I really find it hard to believe that Shadow has beaten both Google and Nvidia on decent streaming tech. Being able to run Gears 5 on a 5-10mb connection in a coffee shop and not really notice any image degredation or performance impact is a real testament to how good it is. Saying that though, I will keep an eye on this service and if it does expand its game selection then I might be tempted to dip my toe.

[EDIT] From reading the other thread... so can you install unsupported games? If so, that would be a big plus point for this.

You can install them but they don't run in my limited experience as you don't have admin privileges. Maybe depends on the game. 

• Upvote 1

Ah, ok. I guess the other thread got my hopes up a bit. Well, I'll keep an eye on it at least. Thanks

I played a little bit of a slower paced game, Two Point Hospital, and my immediate reaction is that Stadia is better quality tech overall. Better resolution, better IQ, fewer glitches and resolution changes. I did play on wireless however and I think GFN scaled down to 1080p while my monitor is 1440p.

Access to your Steam library is a killer app though. I hope they improve.

No iOS? Bah. I could only play on my computer and I don’t play on that as it is!

Well I've signed up. 90 days free is very generous, and I'd happily pay £5 a month to keep it going depending on quality. We'll see!

I tried this earlier. Played Outlast, Wolfenstein and Dirt 3. The first two were nigh on perfect. Dirt 3 was a bit juddery. Came away very impressed. 

Connected via 5Ghz and all the rest of it and still got a pretty poor experience on my MBA.

The whole "sign into your Steam account and install games" isn't exactly great, either. Is there anyway to use other accounts? To play Witcher 3 it wants me to sign into Steam but I own it on GOG.

Just played Destiny 2 via a 2011 MacBook Air using the free GeForce Now account.

Worked absolutely seamlessly over my (much maligned apparently) BT HomeHub. However I have got 300mb/50mb FTTP.

Shame they took away the ability to play all your Steam library. But is what it is. Will keep going for the 90 days and see how it goes. 

I loaded up Doom 2016 to try out mouse and keyboard controls, and I didn't notice any lag whatsoever. I'd temper this by saying I've never been great at picking up on stuff like that, and my reactions aren't the best in the world, but it was impressive nonetheless. I also gave it a go on my phone with an Xbox One pad, and that played perfectly too.

Interestingly the service seems to taylor graphics settings depending on how you're playing it. The first time I loaded it up on PC it decided to set the resolution to 720p, which was odd, although you could obviously change this manually. After quitting and reloading it picked 1080p but with AA dialed down a bit. I found it set to 720p again when I tried it on my phone.

This is actually quite impressive.  Tried the free version on my son's pretty basic HP laptop (runs Minecraft, Roblox and 2d stuff fine - anything more advanced not a chance) and it ran everything I tried pretty much seamlessly and with almost no lag - and this is on a wifi 2.4ghz connection to 80/20 FTTC which for reference frequently struggles to stream the Xbox and PS4 locally.

Shame it can't play the entire Steam library and its very limited on which storefront it supports (can use epic game store but only points to Steam for a lot of games) but I'm pretty sure he'll be pleased to discover he can now play Spyro and Crash on his laptop (for an hour at a time admittedly).

If they expand the range of stuff it can play I might even be tempted to pay for it for him (as it will be a lot cheaper than the gaming laptop he has at the top of his birthday list!!)

Sorry, but can I use this service with my smart android tv? Or do I need a pc? 

2 hours ago, alex3d said:

Sorry, but can I use this service with my smart android tv? Or do I need a pc? 

PC, Mac, Shield and Android only. Does your TV have access to Google Play?

Paying a monthly fee to stream games you already own is exactly the business model that makes the most sense to me. They can piggy back off the size of other services’ libraries and the huge installed base of software with those users. Be very interested to see how this does.

• Upvote 1

Weird bug: I launched Steam and it was not EXACTLY as I was expecting.... my wishlist didn't show up and my library of games just showed the 'strategy' category I created but when I switch views they were there.

Anyone else experiencing weird things like that? I'm also a tad worried about cloud saves considering other users experiences.

I thnk this may be more of a Steam issue that GeForce Now though.

2 hours ago, deKay said:

PC, Mac, Shield and Android only. Does your TV have access to Google Play?

It does. Do controllers/DS4 work though? 

Am I correct for thinking I need to own the games? It's not like a service like Netflix where I sign up and get to choose from a ton of content I do not actually own?

Yes I am. Might need to see what I have available on Steam. Nothing recent that's for sure.

16 minutes ago, alex3d said:

It does. Do controllers/DS4 work though? 

gallery-1466017746-rsz-gettyimages-103201656.jpg.e5e2e8378ffc1ae4eeae9fb4de5a17d0.jpg

Spoiler

Try it yourself!

• Upvote 1

I wonder what the chances are of this ever supporting the Microsoft store? Not having access to Game Pass games over the service would be a bit of a shame, unless Microsoft add PC game streaming to their own service of course.

Just now, Mogster said:

I wonder what the chances are of this ever supporting the Microsoft store? Not having access to Game Pass games over the service would be a bit of a shame, unless Microsoft add PC game streaming to their own service of course.

I imagine it will come in as part of the xcloud service eventually? Microsoft will use game pass and their 1st party titles as a reason for you to choose one service over the other.

5 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Right I bought a premium sub and will test it out tonight! Might buy dmc5.... 

It's not supported I'm afraid, so probably not the best choice. ;)

So many games I want to try - none of which are supported!  Is there a reason why they would not be supported?

With Steam Games some seem to work, some allow you to play them provided you download them to the VM first and others just flat refuse.  Perhaps there is just a white list that needs editing?