GeForce Now Officially Launched - Free Tier Available

hub2

Balanced should give you the best results in general I think, as it should automatically pick the best settings for your connection. Forcing 1080p60 probably would lower the stream quality to ensure a smoother framerate.

25mps is only the minimum connection speed for 1080p60 though, so I wouldn't expect miracles.

I'm loving the fact that I can fire up stuff almost instantly. found Eurotruck Simulator 2.  Clicked "install" and it was ready in 5 seconds to play.  Off I went.  picture was clean and I got no framerate drops. Choose game, in and playing in under 30 seconds?  Yess.  Only fly in the ointment for me is the fact that only certain games are supported.  If they just let me stream my steam library then it's an instant win.   I bet it ends up with a sub-selection of stuff meaning Microsoft's Ultimate Game Pass will still be the way to do things since the xcloud stuff sounds like it'll be included in the price and allow you to stream anything you already own 

On 09/02/2020 at 15:18, Mogster said:

Balanced should give you the best results in general I think, as it should automatically pick the best settings for your connection. Forcing 1080p60 probably would lower the stream quality to ensure a smoother framerate.

25mps is only the minimum connection speed for 1080p60 though, so I wouldn't expect miracles.

Just tried this again and set it to Auto.  Loaded up Doom and although the streaming seemed OK it looked terrible.  Checked the settings and it was running at 1280 x 720 with go knows what other settings so changed that to 1080p and put it on Ultra and it seemed pretty good but then I was getting some slow down which seemed to be coming from the game more than the streaming which is not what I would expect.  (I maybe wrong).  Dropped setting to High and all seems good but it just seems to be struggling when the screen gets busy.  A lot better than it was though.  Time to try some more games. 

38 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Just tried this again and set it to Auto.  Loaded up Doom and although the streaming seemed OK it looked terrible.  Checked the settings and it was running at 1280 x 720 with go knows what other settings so changed that to 1080p and put it on Ultra and it seemed pretty good but then I was getting some slow down which seemed to be coming from the game more than the streaming which is not what I would expect.  (I maybe wrong).  Dropped setting to High and all seems good but it just seems to be struggling when the screen gets busy.  A lot better than it was though.  Time to try some more games. 

After reading this i decided to give doom a go, it IS the game that is stuttering. As you can turn on performance metrics, it has a lot of CPU stutters, and the occasional gpu one, but alot more cpu.

TBh, i noticed it a bit when i tried batman the other day, but really, the performance on the free version is worse than my old PC which is an i7 4790k and a gtx1070.

Does anyone have the paid version, and say, doom and batman(arkham knight, benchmark) and could say what they run like?

What I would say though, is when unlocking the framerate on doom, playing with k+m, and it working, it was....very responsive! :blink:

3 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

After reading this i decided to give doom a go, it IS the game that is stuttering. As you can turn on performance metrics, it has a lot of CPU stutters, and the occasional gpu one, but alot more cpu.

TBh, i noticed it a bit when i tried batman the other day, but really, the performance on the free version is worse than my old PC which is an i7 4790k and a gtx1070.

Does anyone have the paid version, and say, doom and batman(arkham knight, benchmark) and could say what they run like?

What I would say though, is when unlocking the framerate on doom, playing with k+m, and it working, it was....very responsive! :blink:

I am running the 'paid' version with Doom from my Shield.  I am about to try it on my very average PC and see if I get the same results but certainly sounds like it.  Like you say when its working it seems great but interesting that it is the game suffering more than the streaming! 

OK - my connection seems to have lost 10meg in the last hour for some reason however I did turn on the metrics and a little unsure what they are saying but I see a lot of red numbers on the CPU line that seem to get worse when things are happening on screen.

It clearly states it is an RTX card but are they running it with a 486? :lol:

The first time I ran Doom it set itself to 720p too, but after restarting it picked 1080p, and ran very smoothly. It did stutter a bit in certain areas if I tried maxing out the graphics to silly levels though, but I believe you're meant to just let the games run with the automatic settings for best results.

the issue with Doom is, its optimised as fuq! it WILL run at over 100fps on my old system (see above) at 1080p, ultra.  (old DF vid showing it running at 70+ on a 970 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvWaE-3Aseg) Which means,whatever they are doing at their end is the issue, i very much doubt its the actual cpu, unless, people arnt getting access to a whole cpu each. On the plus side, as ive said, it FEELs great to play...when it works i mean!

It's interesting that both Stadia and GeForce Now are presenting similar issues of very solid streaming but with surprising constraints appearing to come from the underlying compute hardware. I'm sure there's more to this than meets the eye.

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

So, Doom, at least, run it in Vulkan mode, and it works alot better! its still CPU bound, but, its now high framrate cpu bound! Why it aint set to vulkan to start with, who knows

This is a great shout. Also shows that whatever default settings it chooses are far from optimal.

30 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Not DirectX, it's a low level API that allows 'closer to the metal' access to the hardware.

actually, it was using opengl :P

@Popo to change it, go to options, video, where it says opengl, click that, change to vulkan, it will need to restart....might be under advanced in the video options.

You can crank it to ultra then, although, i found the pic a bit clearer using fxaa not tsaa, prob as its a vid.

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

So, Doom, at least, run it in Vulkan mode, and it works alot better! its still CPU bound, but, its now high framrate cpu bound! Why it aint set to vulkan to start with, who knows

It seems to vary. The first time I launched it it set itself to OpenGL and 720p. Second time around it set itself to Vulkan and 1080p.

I've just been hearing about this in the TCGS podcast and it sounds interesting, but I don't know much about it.

Couple of questions:

Do all the games play with max settings, or is it limited to the specs of your own PC?

What's the easiest way to play it on the TV?

Does it offer controller support?

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

@Jamie John I’ve only played Doom but to answer your questions:

It plays at max settings 

I connected my laptop to the TV with an HDMI

Yes it does - I’ve tried Xbox 360 via USB and DualShock 4 via Bluetooth

Thanks for this! Sounds decent. I may give the free trial a go. I think my crap connection speed is going to be a limiter, though. I mainly just want it to play Disco Elysium.

• 1 year later...