rllmuk

Phantasy Star Online 2 - Comes West "US only" Closed Beta 7/8th Feb

Had a blast on this on Saturday night. It seems reasonably good. (not as good as Episodes one and two though) There was just so much to take in for a new player, and it does worry me that when it launches it will be a micro-transaction nightmare.

Not sure I will end up playing it unless there is a European version as the time thing will be annoying.

Its been confirmed (by veteran JPN server players) that the micro-transaction items are cosmetics and progress/XP boosters only. Plus, you have to pay to switch servers. But all of those things can be earned in-game through standard play. 

Whether they'll change that for the US release is unknown, but unlikely.

There's also a premium sub, but that gives you guaranteed things that you would otherwise just save free tickets for (like opening a player shop, or exp boosters).

My only (other) concern is the actual price of Arkz Cash - currency exchange IRL is pretty wack at the minute, so it'll be a bit shit if it costs more than a couple of quid to move server.

I'm not too bothered about costumes - basically, pretty much all the extra outfits are via real money scratch cards, but they're freely tradeable on player shops. If there's enough people playing the game and taking a punt on them, a market should appear where you can just buy outfits for ingame Meseta.

FUN scratch cards are cool, though. I got a fancy sofa and a fireplace that barely fits in the tiny free apartment you get.

It's... free real estate.

I can't remember if I stuck PSO2 on an SSD during my time on PC, but to be honest, it still has to engage with a server, so that will always be the weakest link in terms of loading something (Destiny 2, in comparison, has it far worse as it's matchmaking for *every* activity mind - which is why it's better off on a HDD). 

I wouldn't mind a slightly better draw distance, mind - for both PC and X-Box!

Just a reminder, the Closed Beta Survey ends at some point today.

I'm hopeful we'll hear something about the open beta after that is over, as all things considered the closed beta went down very well.

In the meantime, been brushing up with the Japanese server version. Even with the decent state of the closed beta, there's a whole load of content coming that's outright mind-boggling - there's systems there that let you transfer stats from weapons to others if you like an old weapon that hasn't been updated with a 'New Type' rebalance, synthesis/crafting is back, and it extends into.. photon arts. So, uh, you can customise your photon arts to balance AOE/damage.

There's also a photon art for the ranger's rifle that is basically the slide and shoot mechanic from Vanquish. It's.. very good.

• Upvote 1
On 09/02/2020 at 10:44, Sumire said:

Not sure I will end up playing it unless there is a European version as the time thing will be annoying.

Apologies for the double post, but this actually got me thinking - as I'm playing the JPN version, I'm still doing emergency quests. Which didn't make sense, as it's during the dead of night in Japan.

As it turns out, the emergency quest system runs around the clock every 2-4 hours, as well as random occurrences. You can see here: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-maintenance-and-patch-7302014/ .

With any luck, we'll just see a wholesale transfer of this system and we'll just skip concerts.

You'll still get wrecked by Server Maintenance, however - this week was an 'extended maintenance' period, which due to JST was precisely 15 hours between 5pm to 8am the following day in UK time.

1 hour ago, Siri said:

Apologies for the double post, but this actually got me thinking - as I'm playing the JPN version, I'm still doing emergency quests. Which didn't make sense, as it's during the dead of night in Japan.

As it turns out, the emergency quest system runs around the clock every 2-4 hours, as well as random occurrences. You can see here: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-maintenance-and-patch-7302014/ .

With any luck, we'll just see a wholesale transfer of this system and we'll just skip concerts.

You'll still get wrecked by Server Maintenance, however - this week was an 'extended maintenance' period, which due to JST was precisely 15 hours between 5pm to 8am the following day in UK time.

The server maintenance seems really excessive, but I have no idea of what they actually do, so it may be warranted. When I think about it, I am too much of a fan of Phantasy Star to miss out on this version even if it doesn't get an EU release.

Slightly off the thread title, have you ever played Blue Burst on private servers on PC? I only just found out about them so I downloaded the client and it seems pretty cool so far.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Sumire said:

Slightly off the thread title, have you ever played Blue Burst on private servers on PC? I only just found out about them so I downloaded the client and it seems pretty cool so far.

Yeah, I've played a fair bit of BB on SCHTHACK and Ephinea, but generally a majority of parties these days run Towards The Future because it's just a bumrush of EXP,  which is disappointing. Ephinea's really good, mind - it has a bunch of decent features, like being able to pick your Section ID, an individual drop system and a common bank. It also lets you have 32 characters per account, if you're really that inclined.

A couple of the old Phantasy Star Universe crew have also been playing on PSU Clementine , which is really the only current Private Server for PSU. It's decent, but it's currently down for the forseeable future - it basically got to a point where the server was running for the sake of running with a bunch of things just not working, and instead of the original goal of making everything work it ended up with people just wanting to play (and, surprise, running the best EXP farm continually instead of beta testing shit).

Thankfully, for Clem, we're getting constant dev updates on what they're actually doing, including figuring out how to make and rebuild new and existing missions.

6 hours ago, Siri said:

Yeah, I've played a fair bit of BB on SCHTHACK and Ephinea, but generally a majority of parties these days run Towards The Future because it's just a bumrush of EXP,  which is disappointing. Ephinea's really good, mind - it has a bunch of decent features, like being able to pick your Section ID, an individual drop system and a common bank. It also lets you have 32 characters per account, if you're really that inclined.

A couple of the old Phantasy Star Universe crew have also been playing on PSU Clementine , which is really the only current Private Server for PSU. It's decent, but it's currently down for the forseeable future - it basically got to a point where the server was running for the sake of running with a bunch of things just not working, and instead of the original goal of making everything work it ended up with people just wanting to play (and, surprise, running the best EXP farm continually instead of beta testing shit).

Thankfully, for Clem, we're getting constant dev updates on what they're actually doing, including figuring out how to make and rebuild new and existing missions.

Nice one. I am always a little worried they would just shutdown those servers at any time. I have a copy off PSO Plus and was thinking of doing a legit run offline to 200 again as it the only official version with the most offline content. Yes I am mad....

• Upvote 1
On 09/02/2020 at 08:24, SuperBrother said:

I already have a One X but would buy it again just for this game.

Likewise I put thousands of hours into DC and GC plus a lot less time into PSU.

Thankfully no multi hundred pound phone bills this time round!

Oh god I remember my first year on it...BT 1p a minute...I think my first phone bill was over £200.  Going to work after literally staying up all night....overheating Dreamcast...the best times.  The best.    :wub:

• Upvote 6
8 hours ago, Sumire said:

Nice one. I am always a little worried they would just shutdown those servers at any time. I have a copy off PSO Plus and was thinking of doing a legit run offline to 200 again as it the only official version with the most offline content. Yes I am mad....

Schthack has been around for ages. I get PSO nostalgia every few years and they are always there to help me indulge it. 

9 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Oh god I remember my first year on it...BT 1p a minute...I think my first phone bill was over £200.  Going to work after literally staying up all night....overheating Dreamcast...the best times.  The best.    :wub:

I remember it vividly, at the time I had just moved in with my girlfriend (now wife) and we were both hooked.

We both played a number of characters but when I went online she did the typing for me on my main: superbrother the Hunter.

We met some great real life friends as a result, some of which are still best friends now even though they moved to the US. Quite a few went onto WoW and we had a laugh there too.

Such great times.

• Upvote 1

I just love those games where there is such a tiny chance that some cool rare unique item will drop no matter what level you are. That was why I loved PSO so much. Most loot games now either just throw tons of rares at you or just give you the same "rare" item with different stats.

I remember farming on my Whitill Hunter for many hours for a Guld, so I could then also farm for Milla, and use my Ranger to combine them into a Guldmilla. I have no idea why really, I just wanted a weapon that was impossibly rare. The drop rate for Guld from Tollaws on Ultimate was something like 1 in 29,000, so I just farmed them endlessly. Ended up with three or four Gulds, but never could get that Milla to drop. Not a single one.

That's basically my biggest lasting memory of PSO: an almost infinite successions of dead Tollaws in Forest. That and the S-Rank challenge mode runs we did in Ep.1.

• Upvote 4

My fondest memory of PSO was finding my first Double Saber, I had a RAcast (Mumunk 2001, if anyone remembers me then Hi!) as my main at the time and my alt was a HUnewearl called Rock-Chick so I got a friend to watch a locked room so I could drop it on the floor and then load up Rock-Chick to collect it.

• 3 weeks later...

Not particularly hot off the press, because it's a bit of non-news:

Translation: probably another beta period coming up next month, but not set in stone. Also mentioning it to stop the 'GIVE BETA PLS' screeching in every Twitter post made.

Meanwhile, I spent about 100 hours on the Japanese version (a good third of that was idling while popping down the shops, tbh).

I think the most surprising thing is how much content they keep throwing at you, right up until level 95 - there's a bunch of missions I'm either not good at or require a group to get good at it (namely Time Attack, Ultimate, Buster and Endless Quests).

And even without that, the actual real goal of levelling isn't to hit cap - it's to reach 75 on as many classes as possible, because it gives permanent stat bonuses, unlocks Ultra Hard (they require both your main and subclass to be a certain level), and unlocks the Hero/Phantom/Etoile 'Successor' classes. Thankfully, 1-75 is far less time consuming than 75-95.

I've just got to that point, and went through the tutorials for all three successor classes. Quite frankly, my brain hurts - they have a static skill set, but make up for it by changing.. well, everything you knew about certain weapons and adding a bunch of mechanics. For reference, the training missions for each successor is about three times larger than a standard training mission for the other classes.

Two-Handed Swords that are slow? Now one-handed and you move like the clappers with Hero. Don't like the burst fire of Assault Rifles? They're high damage single shot weapons with Phantom. Don't like casting magic? Etoile gives you magic wands that fire out laser beams.

It's all gone a bit bonkers, tbh.

• Upvote 1

Woo, thanks!

Not sure how I'm gonna balance PSO2 and FFXIV, but it's a good job I can't afford FFVIIR or P5R right now.

• Upvote 1
14 hours ago, wev said:

Woo, thanks!

Not sure how I'm gonna balance PSO2 and FFXIV, but it's a good job I can't afford FFVIIR or P5R right now.

I'm in a spot of bother - the new Path of Exile league is starting Friday on PC, Monday for Consoles, and then PSO2. And, uh, Doom Eternal on the Friday if the reviews are good.

I booked next week off because I wanted a break after a tough couple of weeks (all fine now), and jokingly revolved it around Path of Exile because 'Hey, fuck it'. Now I've got to actually no-life the entire week -_-

In regards to actually balancing the games, once you're done with levelling, PSO2 can be super casual. The daily bounties can take all of five minutes when you know what you're doing - Basically goes something like this:

- Pick the top featured mission
- Pick up the top three bounties that give you a boost to EXP/Meseta/Rare Drop Rate when you complete them, which are all three "kill X enemy" from the above mission
- Load into the campship, take a cheap meseta boost drink for a defence buff and pop a Triboost item from the genuine hundreds the game churns out from in-game achievements
- Do the mission, kill the things
- Turn in the bounties at the quest counter

At the height of the reward loop, this alone gives you about 300,000 XP (enough to make any level 1 subclass jump 20 levels - you can switch before cashing it in), a bunch of useful items (including another Triboost), and a date-stamped ticket that gives you access to a mission that will very likely level you up immediately at any level up until 75 and will be available for seven days.

EDIT: As a test, I done that run on my JP character, and then swapped class - level 35 jumped to level 42 when cashing in.

Note that the rewards do scale up to 60, daily/weekly rewards unlock at around 20-30, and you need to deal with level caps and unlocking the free explore areas in sequence. However, during that point, you're basically learning the game. And you should learn the game, because it's 80% skill based and 20% equipment based later on when you hit the big boy difficulties.

Do that for three days in the week, along with some of the bigger payout bounties that happen every day (Kill X boss on Super Hard for 250,000 meseta), and you get rewarded with ONE MILLION MESETA. And a bunch of XP, items, and a ticket to a better bonus mission.

Then you spend the million meseta on a fancy dress. Because you will always want the fanciest dress in this game.

Edited by Siri
Bit more on Daily Quest payouts.
  • Upvote 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Last response was this:

The game was rated for EU/Russia/Aus/Germany around March 24th. My current thought is that they're getting all their ducks in a row before PC release across all applicable regions (and perhaps across both Windows Store and Steam, given the existing documentation on their website). I would reckon it will be out in May.

To be honest, the current NA loop is a liiiiiiiittle bit rough at the moment. The only really reliable source for EXP is through Advance Quests (namely, VH Nightfall/Daybreak AQ missions), because they have a 100% exp booster locked to them - which is typically fine and earns a decent amount of rewards, but we're talking about grinding one mission ad infinium compared to JP, where the rotating daily missions have that 100% exp booster, as well as a specific daily 'levelling' mission, about five endgame mission types which includes an endless time attack, and a bonus mission mechanic which also gives a nice boost to coffers.

Not that NA's done anything wrong so far - there's been a decent streamlining of reward currency, and some things like Photon Boosters actually have worth on NA. And the levelling experience to level 50 or so is still smooth for anyone to achieve, and is great fun because all the weapon types are fun to use. but it's definitely a case of not rushing the endgame because it'll make you get super bored, super quick.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2020 at 18:31, spork said:

Is there any more word when this might be available on pc? Would be an ideal lockdown game!

Finally, a date (kinda). :omg:

“PSO2 will make its North American debut on PC in late May, exclusively in the Microsoft store.”

With Xbox PC Gamepass exclusive goodies/perks for subscibers. But I'm not sure if they would work for us EU's who are just changing their region to US? They potentially might not work for us...who knows.  

• Upvote 1

They're really leaning into that retro vibe bringing it to the US first, years after Japan. Reckon we'll have a European release in 18 months with a name change to suit the German market or something.