Phantasy Star Online 2 - Comes West "US only" Closed Beta 7/8th Feb

4 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Finally, a date (kinda). :omg:

“PSO2 will make its North American debut on PC in late May, exclusively in the Microsoft store.”

With Xbox PC Gamepass exclusive goodies/perks for subscibers. But I'm not sure if they would work for us EU's who are just changing their region to US? They potentially might not work for us...who knows.  

Oh they're now saying it's exclusive to the Microsoft store? So Windows 10 only? I reed to upgrade my OS so my other half can play at the same time as I'm really quite liking this, sits nicely between my other main games FFXIV and MHW

Yeah, Gamepass for PC is Win 10 only. Have fun with that! :unsure:

I've just read that the perks are if you have an Ultimate subscription, not just a PC only one.  Perks seem to be an in game Xbox jacket and controller, with monthly perks starting with half scape dolls. Handy. 

10 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Yeah, Gamepass for PC is Win 10 only. Have fun with that! :unsure:

I've just read that the perks are if you have an Ultimate subscription, not just a PC only one.  Perks seem to be an in game Xbox jacket and controller, with monthly perks starting with half scape dolls. Handy. 

Oh I didn't mean Gamepass or the perks, I'm just referring to PSO2 itself, I know people were hoping it'd also be on Steam

I was just 'worried facing' at you because I hope your Win 10 upgrade goes smoothly!  

As for it not being on Steam...well, when I look at my taskbar and see Steam, Uplay, Gamepass, Epic, GOG, Rockstar and PS4 Remote Play, I honestly don't mind.   I can see why people wouldn't want another 'portal'...but doesn't everyone have to have the MS Store with Windows?  

Ah...I'll just be glad to finally be playing it.  Well, playing it properly (I did try the translated version for a while).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can download this on Xbox and play it in the UK. This link takes you to the right page on the US store. You can buy it there choose the option to download to console, and it goes straight through to your UK Xbox, with no barriers to play at all. 

http://Pso.law3x.com

• Upvote 3
19 hours ago, dumpster said:

You can download this on Xbox and play it in the UK. This link takes you to the right page on the US store. You can buy it the  name it download to your console, and it goes straight through to your UK console, with no barriers to play at all. 

http://Pso.law3x.com

Just a word of warning I couldn't get that link to work on my Win10 machine, it tries to open the MS Store app which detects your region.
Sent the link to my phone and it worked though.

15 minutes ago, mechamonkey said:

Just a word of warning I couldn't get that link to work on my Win10 machine, it tries to open the MS Store app which detects your region.
Sent the link to my phone and it worked though.

Literally, just change your region in Settings and you can get it from the US store but play on your UK account. I have been playing this through the PC Xbox app for the last couple of days.

I had my first go on this last night on Xbox (just went to the US xbox store on my Mac and selected it from there to DL straight to my Xbox). It's a bit bewildering at first and the dialogue is pretty awful. It's also not great performance wise and it's really not very graphically intensive at all (I know it obviously isn't but it's looks like my recollection tells me it looked on the DC). I played about an hour or so and beyond the fact that the controls are very confusing initially it's actually quite a theraputic game, and has a nice ryhthm to the combat. I haven't played in a group and to be honest I can't imagine that I will stick with it for very long unless I find some other people to play it with.

21 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

Can't even get this to install, downloads the initial 11gb then seems to get stuck in a loop re-downloading over and over. :(

External or internal? This is assuming it's on Xbox and not pc.

2 hours ago, Melon_Bread said:

Can't even get this to install, downloads the initial 11gb then seems to get stuck in a loop re-downloading over and over. :(

You downloaded the launcher. It then downloads an update, which is really slow. Took me half the day, kept on saying there was about 20 minutes remaining. You just might need to wait longer 

It's worth the wait! Starts out as a quite bewildering amount of systems, all sorts of things that you think "... erm ... later!" with. But it doesn't take too long until it all starts to click. It's probably the most Japanese F2P game of all time, and that can overwhelm. Once you're in to the combat, though, it's just perfect PSO-ness.

26 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

You downloaded the launcher. It then downloads an update, which is really slow. Took me half the day, kept on saying there was about 20 minutes remaining. You just might need to wait longer 

It's worth the wait! Starts out as a quite bewildering amount of systems, all sorts of things that you think "... erm ... later!" with. But it doesn't take too long until it all starts to click. It's probably the most Japanese F2P game of all time, and that can overwhelm. Once you're in to the combat, though, it's just perfect PSO-ness.

The launcher never actual gets that far it pops up for about half a second then quits, then I have have to re-download 11gb file, goes round in circles.

46 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

The launcher never actual gets that far it pops up for about half a second then quits, then I have have to re-download 11gb file, goes round in circles.

It's a common problem, the PC release has been absolutely awful. Once you're on though, the thread in Online is busier than this one

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday had some news about the 2020 roadmap for the NA/World version, posted here, along with a trailer: https://pso2.com/news/announcements/roadmap

Spoiler

Yes, you really are going to be fighting a realistic battleship Yamato. Episode 4 is where the game starts going to some strange places via various asspulls regarding Dark Falz.

So people actually have a comparison, the Japanese version of the game is currently at the second half of Episode 6, due to finish in July. There's plans for another major update at the end of the year, but no definitive Episodic story content (yet).

By the end of 2020, the game will be receiving three major updates - Episode 4 in August, Episode 5 in October, and part one of Episode 6 in December, which covers about eight years of content. Given the pace, the NA/WW version might hit parity with the JP version as early as Q1 2021.

The official word is that Sega are still intending to release the game on 'other PC platforms' and global release this year, with more details in the future.

My current hypothesis is that there's a six month exclusivity period for X-Box/Microsoft Store, and a permanent residence on Azure Servers (Think the Steam releases of Sea of Thieves and Master Chief Collection - You still need an Xbox Login, but at least an install via Steam won't uninstall itself due to file permissions set by the Windows 10 Store). As the 'Official' release date on X-Box was the 14th April and the PC Version 27th May, That's around the middle of October to late November.

As for global release, we already knew this, so it's just a matter of time of tying it all up before the 'other PC platforms' launch. As for other versions, fuck knows - the PS4 version is probably on the backburner with the release of the PS5, and the Switch version is fucking wank because it's streamed entirely from servers in japan currently, so don't even bother asking for it.

The actual content of each episode is probably TMI, so I'll stuff it in the Online thread instead.

• 1 month later...

The framerate for this chugged like an overweight pig whilst I was in the main lobby area playing on my Xbox One X.

And there's SOOO MANY TEXTBOXES and tutorials!

This is not the PSO I remember. :(

Disappointed in how difficult it seems to be to just get down onto a planet and commit wildlife genocide.