Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch

JohnC

15 hours ago, Capwn said:

You know what they say,

"if a film has more than 6 famous people in it, it's not going to be very good."

If "they" is "you" then yeah, I can believe that. You're therefore saying The Grand Budapest Hotel isn't any good, which is objectively nonsense :quote:

• 1 year later...

Going to see this on Saturday but there's surprisingly little fanfare around it, maybe it's just because I don't really engage with traditional and social media much anymore. Anyway I love Wes Anderson films so hoping this is up to his usual standards. Anyone else going to see this?

32 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

I’m bunking off work tomorrow at 11 and watching Dune then this straight afterwards.

Expecting/hoping for two 4 star films minimum double header.

Snap, except the other way around. I'm watching FD then Dune after. Enjoy.

19 minutes ago, Darwock said:

Only realized when I saw that poster above that this isn’t Wes Craven’s new movie. I was thinking it was a weird cast for a horror.

And with him having passed away 6 years ago.

17 hours ago, Ork1927 said:

I’m bunking off work tomorrow at 11 and watching Dune then this straight afterwards.

Expecting/hoping for two 4 star films minimum double header.

Just got out of this and it was great - Wes Anderson x more Wes Anderson and then some more Wes Anderson with a cast that is ridiculously stacked even by his standards.

Worked as a double bill with Dune which was fantastic. Two talented directors delivering two visually brilliant films but tonally very different.

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Just got out of this and it was great - Wes Anderson x more Wes Anderson and then some more Wes Anderson with a cast that is ridiculously stacked even by his standards.

Worked as a double bill with Dune which was fantastic. Two talented directors delivering two visually brilliant films but tonally very different.

Excellent news!

This is possibly peak Wes Anderson. 10 on 10. The cast is incredible - stacked doesn’t even come close to describing how jammed with Wes regulars it is. I don’t think there’s a movie of his that has better realised the Anderson visual style - maybe the Life Aquatic, but I think this edges it for sheer visual pleasure. It oozes affection for the time and the place and the people. It is wonderful. 

7 hours ago, Popo said:

This is possibly peak Wes Anderson. 10 on 10. The cast is incredible - stacked doesn’t even come close to describing how jammed with Wes regulars it is. I don’t think there’s a movie of his that has better realised the Anderson visual style - maybe the Life Aquatic, but I think this edges it for sheer visual pleasure. It oozes affection for the time and the place and the people. It is wonderful. 

Couldn't have said it better, I think it's probably the most Wes Anderson film he's ever done. Although I'll admit it's not my favourite of his, but it's top 3. The whole thing is just full of lovely and striking imagary and the cast is immense. I very much enjoyed it. I think in order of the storyies, I would rank then 1, 3, 2 and I could listen to Jeffrey Wright tell me stories for the rest of my life.

Also Léa Seydoux :wub: