IGNORED

Bleeding Edge | March 24th | Ninja Theory

Revival

I liked what I played in the beta so far, a lot. I thought it was an impressive production considering its supposed to be a kind of side project for NT? Super smooth gameplay, great animation work, and also great sound through the headphones with atmos. Fresh soundtrack.

The parry skill is an interesting idea in a game like this, although I didnt get to use it a lot because of the sometimes frantic combat. Its not often that I managed to stand still for it to work.

About the art style, I get that with a lot of games but I love this. Kind of reminds of Jet Set Radio. I think Ninja Theory could have made a great update to that franchise.

That didnt bother me too much, but I got swamped a few times playing as Zero Cool and his vehicle doesnt move fast enough to outpace the opponents which is kind of strange. Felt like some characters have slightly broken skills compared to others in terms of utility and traversal.

• 2 weeks later...

This game is trying way too hard with the weirdly diversive character set. Which isn't that diverse.

See what really harms it, aside from the close up MOBA style combat that is a lot harder to connect to for many, is the art direction.

It's too meh, it's not focussed and direct enough.

The character and environment design could be from any standard game, or even something you'd buy on the unity asset store.

You can put a dolphin in mech, yet the overall design is something you'd expect from a college student. There seems to be no real art direction that stands out amongst...everything.

This visual dictionary informs the player about everything they need to know within the first few moments of play. When this game is in action it's suddenly a mess of assets that fail form a cohesive whole and say "This is the game, this is the gameworld, you're a part of it. Welcome."

It's like this. If you see a character from Fortnite or overwatch, you know where they are from.

When you see a character from this, they could be from anywhere.

There is no true unique DNA strand running through the title and it leads to absolute apathy.

21 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I like the art design fine, it’s the gameplay that wasn’t doing it for me.

Not art desing. Art direction. It runs right through the product; informs on everything.

The animation, and thus animation timings, camera angles, how the game will feel.

Multiplayer games like this need to have a real understanding of the why and then the how behind the art.

Y'all trying way too hard to find issues with the game. Why does everything has to be so fucking perfect, or triple A, or the best thing ever, or the best new fad after Fortnite, or the best game that anyone has ever played.

"MS game straight to gamepass"

"a failure like Battleborn"

No mention of NT being bought by MS, not bad.

Stereotypes being used to pigeon hole this (and other) game(s), before they are even released and with only an hour or two with a beta client.

I think this is going to do pretty well on Game Pass. A lot of people are probably going to be playing a MOBA game for the first time, like me. Ive played a lot of Paladins on Switch/Xbox but thats it. The only think I could see as a problem is that youre probably going to want to play with mates you feel comfortable talking with, or get ready to trash talk over xbox live.. As for the art style I think its perfectly fine, and just as good or better than for other games that have launched in a much worse state than this. I like the gunplay in Apex Legends for example, but the character art and map design is all over the place. And it launched with a lot less features than BE looks likely to launch with. 

So I was really impressed by the level of polish to all aspects of the game; wonderful animation work, as present in that dolphin clip above. Really nice production overall from what I gathered in my 2 hours or so with the game. And looking forward to at least checking out how the unlocks work, cos there is something going on there with builds and stuff that I liked.

I also thought it looks really fresh and colourful, more than Id thought from the early presentations. Great soundtrack and ambience as as well, lots of attention to details.

"Something very Battleborn" is what I said. Not a failure like. 

The character designs are generic, and as you mentioned Paladins is free. As is Smite. There are some Xbox owning lunatics that don't have GamePass.

Personally I had mild hope for this because new multiplayer experiences are always welcome, but the combat is scrappy and weightless and unless people learn the intricacies of the ping system shits going to go awry very frequently, but of course only time will tell on that.

As it's on Game Pass I'll probably end up giving it another go and I'll be very happy to be wrong about it.

It’s a tough market, seen a few of these type of game die I was quite invested in Paragon, Monday Night Combat) Battleborn (criminally underrated)  Guardians of Middle Earth, all had great small communities but just couldn’t keep them aloft, hope I’ve not doomed this too by being interested :)

I hope this game fails. That'll teach 'em. Are there any other threads where this is the general sentiment being expressed about future content ? I'd like to read them too and see if there's a link to this form of critique.  Maybe it's people just discussing games they don't like in which case I ask why would you do that ?

Maybe it's a xbox thing ? Maybe it's just bad comparison or very poor critique disguised as informed opinion ?

I don't know but I hope it's a rarity amongst rllmuk because it comes across as a bit pathetic and desperate to be actively telling everyone that game X should be unsuccessful in the weeks leading up to it's release. 

I don’t pretend to have an informed opinion on this game, I didn’t play the beta. But it looks like a pretty unoriginal Hero Shooter game which I think is interesting on the basis that this is the game that Microsoft think is going to crack what is a very competitive market. 

I’ll be giving it a go on Game Pass, but nothing they’ve shown since release has convinced me that it’s bringing anything particularly interesting to the table. 

10 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I hope this game fails. That'll teach 'em. Are there any other threads where this is the general sentiment being expressed about future content ? I'd like to read them too and see if there's a link to this form of critique.  Maybe it's people just discussing games they don't like in which case I ask why would you do that ?

Maybe it's a xbox thing ? Maybe it's just bad comparison or very poor critique disguised as informed opinion ?

I don't know but I hope it's a rarity amongst rllmuk because it comes across as a bit pathetic and desperate to be actively telling everyone that game X should be unsuccessful in the weeks leading up to it's release. 

Discussion.

Didn't like the beta, in my opinion it was pretty shit, but you could probably take the best example of this genre and let me play it and i would find it pretty shit.

I hope the people who like this type of game enjoy it, the fact it's on Gamepass might make me give it another shot at some point in the future.

21 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I hope this game fails. That'll teach 'em. Are there any other threads where this is the general sentiment being expressed about future content ?

LawBreakers, most likely. Anything that looks like Overwatch but isn’t Overwatch tends to be met with ‘what’s the point?’.

Also, everyone was eager to let Housemarque know that selling their souls to make a battle royal game was a terrible move.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been playing on Xbox, but have Gamepass Ultimate so will grab it on PC today.

achievements are very easy on this as info if that’s your thing too.

if you get two teams that are actually playing properly this is ace fun.

Im favouring supports heavily on this at the moment, may dip into tanks next

2 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

I’ve been playing on Xbox, but have Gamepass Ultimate so will grab it on PC today.

achievements are very easy on this as info if that’s your thing too.

if you get two teams that are actually playing properly this is ace fun.

Im favouring supports heavily on this at the moment, may dip into tanks next

Agree, and I've been crying out for a new controller-friendly MOBA style game since Guardians Of Middle Earth. Loved that damn game.

If you want to get together for some games, let me know, I'm also favouring supports but quite enjoy a tank too.

40 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

Agree, and I've been crying out for a new controller-friendly MOBA style game since Guardians Of Middle Earth. Loved that damn game.

If you want to get together for some games, let me know, I'm also favouring supports but quite enjoy a tank too.

You can me both, I would buy a remake in an instant!
Gamertag is "Mechamonkey Mk2" definately up for group play!

Edit this is fully cross play by the way so it doesnt matter if you're PC or Xbox