rllmuk
ScouserInExile

Controversial Retro Opinions

29 minutes ago, Treble said:

Sonic Colors is completely misunderstood and is the best Sonic game ever made. It's exactly what Sonic Team tried (and failed) to achieve with Adventure.

Looks more like Generations. Adventure was all about the 3D baby!

1 hour ago, beakbeak said:

The N64 was an underwhelming console and the graphics were blurry and rubbish. 

This is the controversial opinions thread.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Looks more like Generations. Adventure was all about the 3D baby!

Generations has 3D levels and 2D levels separated, yeah? Colors has you flow between the two in each level. It's all about the flow through the levels; the perfect line, a bit like Sonic Advance went for (but as a sidescroller, natch)

Advance is a game I'd have to replay to be sure, but think is probably my second favourite Sonic game :)

On 14/02/2020 at 15:05, ulala said:

People who think master system castle of illusion is better than mega drive castle of illusion have:

1) never played both games

2) are sheep just following the masses

Who cares about Castle of Illusion, when Master System Land of Illusion exists? -_-

Just now, beakbeak said:

The character designs in Rare games is absolutely wank

I know I tried Bad Fur Day recently and it's got to be the worst, unfriendliest opening to any game ever.  Long, unfunny, unskippable cut scenes, and an opening level where one slip makes you fall all the way to the bottom of a cave you spent ages climbing up.  Oh, and it's full of water so you land safely and have to climb all the way back up.  That has to be deliberate, surely.  No-one playtested that game and said, this is good, we like this.

8 minutes ago, beakbeak said:

The character designs in Rare games is absolutely wank

those in dkc are great though?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ulala said:

Fuck that. King K.rool looks like some kind of shitty pontins kids club mascot from 1985.

While SoR2 remains ace, it really could do with being just a little shorter, or with having the levels broken up a bit more. It feels like a slog towards the end. 

Anyway:

Twilight Princess is the best 3D Zelda, because it built on OoT, expanding the story and gameplay much more. Story-wise, every Zelda after it has been shite, including the excellently-playing BotW, which might have had a good story were it not limited to a handful of clips you had to collect.

The Atari Jaguar controller/keypad combo was an excellent idea (for its time) marred by abysmal ergonomics and too few traditional face buttons. 

Every Street Fighter following 3rd Strike has been dogshite.

1 hour ago, ulala said:

222650698_ThunderbirdsLaugh.gif.3eac453cfc85ca8ae07caf296c41bea4.gif

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, beakbeak said:

Its graphics have aged horribly by modern standards, yes. But recognise the historical context: Of its hardware generation, it had the by far the most influential and innovative games library, even if solely due to Super Mario 64, Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time.

8 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Its graphics have aged horribly by modern standards, yes. But recognise the historical context: Of its hardware generation, it had the by far the most influential and innovative games library, even if solely due to Super Mario 64, Goldeneye and Ocarina of Time.

While those games are indeed amazing, I don’t know if you can say they are the most influential games on any system. I mean PlayStation has final fantasy VII, gran turismo and tekken to name just 3 games that defined those genres.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, beakbeak said:

The GameCube wasn't great, either, IMO. Neither was the Wii, other than a brilliant gimmick. I've never even touched a WiiU, but it was a bit of a disaster as well.

Since the SNES, Nintendo have put out underpowered, gimmicky consoles, with varied success. I can't help thinking that they are slightly propped up by their IP. Which, granted, they have an abundance of.

9 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

A “library” with three books in it?

20 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

The GameCube wasn't great, either, IMO. Neither was the Wii, other than a brilliant gimmick. I've never even touched a WiiU, but it was a bit of a disaster as well.

Since the SNES, Nintendo have put out underpowered, gimmicky consoles, with varied success. I can't help thinking that they are slightly propped up by their IP. Which, granted, they have an abundance of.

the cube was way more powerful than its ps2 rival 

8 minutes ago, ulala said:

the cube was way more powerful than its ps2 rival 

And much less powerful than the Xbox, with much smaller disk size than both (1.5gb iirc) no DVD player / support and a weird controller. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

And much less powerful than the Xbox, with much smaller disk size than both (1.5gb iirc) no DVD player / support and a weird controller. 

the gamecube/  wavebird a weird controller?

Now that's a controversial opinion!

It's not QUITE retro I guess but.

Saint's Row is a better series than GTA.

I started re-playing Saint's Row 3 last night and in 2 hours I think there was more actual joy than in the whole of GTA5.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

So "Controversial Retro Opinions" just means negatively dumping on games? rllmuk defo needs more of that! 

Not at all!

if you want tell everyone how much you adored bubsy 2 or how you thought the gameboy port of killer instinct is the best version then go for it!

42 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

So "Controversial Retro Opinions" just means negatively dumping on games? rllmuk defo needs more of that! 

If that's my post you've interpreted it backwards.

The DKC games are decidedly average, home-micro affairs dressed up in then-shiny clothing which has aged awfully, exposing their ugly bones.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, beakbeak said:

Not at all!

if you want tell everyone how much you adored bubsy 2 or how you thought the gameboy port of killer instinct is the best version then go for it!

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

If that's my post you've interpreted it backwards.

Not 100% of the posts, but generally speaking that's the case. 

Congrats you guys on a bit of positivity! Well done. 

Balloon Fight is a top tier NES game and secretly one of the best games of all time. It's a shameless rip off of Joust tuned for home play, but it's the equal of its inspiration.

• Upvote 3

Always been the GameBoy edition for me, completely different but it's just so.. special. For years my parents wouldn't buy me a GB and the one game I longed for thanks to a Nintendo mag VHS and some magazine reviews.

The DC is by far the most overrated console there is. Bar a few standouts the library is the most 5/10 there has ever been. Plus that fucking controller. I used to despair every time I bought another well reviewed game only for it to once again be the definition of 5/10. See also Nintendo.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

As someone who definitely contributes to the negative side of the spectrum, that's a fair point. It's certainly more attention-grabbing to beat down a sacred cow, but it's also generally less productive than raising up the ignored/misinderstood. I'll try to redress the balance a little with some out of character positivity: 

Despite an awful lot of modern-day criticism, Myst offered a genuinely progressive approach to world-building and storytelling, and was absolutely worthy of its commercial successive. 

The Mega CD, for all its flaws, had enough gems in its library that it deserves to be remembered more fondly. Dark Wizard, Eye of the Beholder, Keio Flying Squadron, Lunar: The Silver Star, Shining Force CD, Sonic CD, and of course the unavoidable Snatcher, all make it a worthwhile machine. 

Rayman 2 is a genuinely brilliant 3D platformer, to the point I would probably rate it as the best (third-person) one ever made.

36 minutes ago, Wiper said:

The Mega CD, for all its flaws, had enough gems in its library that it deserves to be remembered more fondly. Dark Wizard, Eye of the Beholder, Keio Flying Squadron, Lunar: The Silver Star, Shining Force CD, Sonic CD, and of course the unavoidable Snatcher, all make it a worthwhile machine. 

Rayman 2 is a genuinely brilliant 3D platformer, to the point I would probably rate it as the best (third-person) one ever made.

Of course, it's an opinion thread therefore there's no right or wrong. 

...but yes! I very much agree with that regarding the Mega CD. There's lots of excellent software released for it and as this thread mentioned Final Fight at the start, Final Fight CD is probably the best version of that game from that era. 

Rayman 2, is also an excellent platformer and one of the best from around then. 

Might not really be controversial but it's an opinion - 

Halo : Combat Evolved is - by far - the greatest FPS of all time.

It has never been surpassed and likely never will as it seems it's greatness is lost on a lot of people, including Bungie themselves. 

No other game has been so dynamic and open and continually replayable. An open sandbox shooter were you really feel the tug of war between yourself and the Covenant. Like they're real players playing against you when you take on an Elite. It's totally crazy. 

Also the MCC version with it's 60fps, responsive movement and retuned controls make the game worse. 

• Upvote 3