rllmuk
DukeOfEarlsfield

RIP Andrew Weatherall

Died this morning from a pulmonary embolism.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/17/andrew-weatherall-british-producer-behind-screamadelica-dies-aged-56?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

If you're a music fan for long enough, eventually, every artist you idolise will let you down. Every musician, singer, songwriter or producer I've ever loved has, at some point or another put out at least one album that's made me think they've lost it.

Except this guy, who was all of the above and never, ever let me down. Sabres of Paradise, Two Lone Swordsmen, his solo stuff, The Asphodells. Not to mention the the absurdly high quality and quantity of remixes and productions. I've loved it all.

• Empathy 10

Bah, fuck... 

Yep, responsible for so many life-changing moments. I have incredible vivid memories of listening to Smokebelch in my friends bedroom with him just freaking out about how good it was. That same friend recently tracked down the Boys Own vinyl box set for my birthday a couple of years ago. His work with Mondays and the Primals was part of the soundtrack to the best years of my life.

I really feel a bit blue now :(

A group of my mates in their forties have seen him DJing on a couple of occasions recently (in Todmorden and then in Manchester a couple of weeks back).

They were on my WhatsApp group, discussing when to go and see him again, with Leeds next month earmarked.  Should've gone to the Manchester set. :(

Shite news, a legend, soundtracked a lot of my formative years 

• Upvote 1

So skilled he convinced the world that Primal Scream weren't a terrible band. This is the one I always go back to:

• Upvote 2

Yes, it’s true. I can remember getting hold of a white label of Come Together with his mix on when I lived in London with some of the old Tonka people and we were going nuts for it, it was like nothing else at that time. I was never really bothered about Loaded but I must have worn that record out.

Whatever he was doing, everyone else would be trying to do the same in three years time. Literally for his entire career. Such a shame.

Damn, I met him through a friend at a club in the early 90s and he was lovely, his music is awesome, damn :(

Friends and i were just reminiscing about buying Sasha/Weatherall tapes out of some geezers suitcase on the streets on Camden, around 1990. Started us all off on our Ecstasy abuse. Great fun, what i remember of it. RIP mate.

Damn, sad news, saw him play at a few of Electro nights over the years, he was truly a legend. RIP.

I remember seeing him DJ in a club back in the 90s. Bit of a bizarre experience, the music was amazing but he was surrounded by guys from the audience watching intently everything that he did. Guess they were looking for inspiration on what to do!

Still love One Dove’s Morning Dove White. Sublime production and Dot’s beautiful voice.

• Upvote 1

Aww fuck. Loved a few Sabres of Paradise tracks when Big Beat brought my love for clubbing back, especially the Chemical Brothers remix of Tow Truck.

And the Two Lone Swordsman Breeze Block set below blew my mind, you seriously, seriously need to give that a listen, fucking brilliant. In fact, and gods honest truth, I had some sort of out of body experience whilst listening through it about ten years ago, though that could have been facilitated by the funny cup of tea I'd been drinking around the time. Superb set.

RIP

It's like Forbidden Planet X Acid. So basically the dream.