Hotshot Racing - Sumo Digital

12 hours ago, Popo said:

I hasten to say that I’m excited by Hotshot Racing but things like boosting, damage and additional modes like cops and robbers all seem like a sop to modern, post-Burnout racing mores, and belie the 90s arcade roots the devs say they’re going for. 

When it comes to arcade racers I very much take an Ahmish view - that god in his almighty wisdom gave us just the right amount of gameplay between 1992 and 1999. 

I realise that doesn’t make me very ‘cool’ and you might call me ‘grandad’ but all I want is an arcade racer with quirky handling that’s easy to learn but difficult to master and 1 car/3 courses tops; MAYBE a mirror mode if one enters up down left right A B start on the title screen, but it’s not necessary. 

Here endeth my drunken rant. 

I can see why you'd want that and I don't disagree, but releasing a game with such a lack of content would be suicide 

What's going on with the opponent AI in that video? They seemed oblivious to the existence of the player's car and spent most of the race grouped up, knocking seven bells out of each other :unsure:

Or is that multiplayer footage? Players and AI racing together maybe?

It's finally gotten a release date! Wow, I feel like I waited ages for this. Sadly the longer this went on the less attractive it began to look, and getting bored of waiting I bought Team Sonic Racing instead which, despite some of you disliking here, I've absolutely loved to bits. I became a bit unimpressed with the lean towards what looked like more kart-racing styled weightless physics on Hotshot, when I wanted it to be a little more Daytona like, but that's just me.

I might still pick it up later on though if I'm feeling flush. Is it getting a physical release?

On 29/08/2020 at 23:57, Popo said:

I hasten to say that I’m excited by Hotshot Racing but things like boosting, damage and additional modes like cops and robbers all seem like a sop to modern, post-Burnout racing mores, and belie the 90s arcade roots the devs say they’re going for. 

When it comes to arcade racers I very much take an Ahmish view - that god in his almighty wisdom gave us just the right amount of gameplay between 1992 and 1999. 

I realise that doesn’t make me very ‘cool’ and you might call me ‘grandad’ but all I want is an arcade racer with quirky handling that’s easy to learn but difficult to master and 1 car/3 courses tops; MAYBE a mirror mode if one enters up down left right A B start on the title screen, but it’s not necessary. 

Here endeth my drunken rant. 

I agree completely.  I've said this many times about the Burnout series.  Burnout 1 was fantastic, but not very well balanced, it was hard to earn enough burnout and harder still to use it all without crashing.  Burnout 2 balanced it perfectly and is the best racer of all time in my opinion.  Burnout 3 introduced the takedowns, losing some of the purity in the process as you deliberately aimed to crash into the enemy cars (surely you're supposed to avoid crashing in a race?). Then, I forget the order but from one game to the next you had more flexibility to not race much, getting takedowns for hitting opponents, hitting other traffic, scraping off walls instead of crashing.  One of the Burnouts lets you pretty much ram through everything, no skill required.  I hope that all the extra modes these new games offered sit alongside a "pure" mode where you practice, get better, learn the handling and become the best driver.   

1 hour ago, Down by Law said:

@S0L any info? Hoping if there is one it won't be a three months late and twice the price limited run 'deal'  woozy-face_1f974.png

Honestly I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find out, but this is being done down Sumo Nottingham and with us all mostly WFH, I'm a bit disconnected from what those guys are up to right now!

1 hour ago, S0L said:

Honestly I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find out, but this is being done down Sumo Nottingham and with us all mostly WFH, I'm a bit disconnected from what those guys are up to right now!

Sound - thanks for the reply  :) 

Reviews starting to appear:

Eurogamer

.. a couple of afternoons of fun is going to be more than enough for those starved of arcade racing thrills, and Hotshot Racing's smart and stylish enough to deliver on its premise, even if it can't quite cut it alongside the greats from which it draws inspiration.

Nintendolife

This is a fine racing title that truly nails its driving mechanics and delivers an exhilarating experience that will captivate newcomers and veterans alike.

8/10

Pushsquare

Some might find the courses don't provide much of a challenge, and we'd gladly have taken a little more content, but you'll be hard pushed to find a better example of straight-up arcade racing this generation.

8/10

Godisageek

As an ode to classic racers, Hotshot Racing is a fast, fun game. It’s just let down by limited content and some frustrating AI.

7/10

I've been finding it great fun so far. It's managed to drag me away from THPS 1+2.

I did find the expert AI a bit gnarly at first, but came back after doing some Time Trials and managed to stay out in front for most of the races in the first GP. You really can't afford to make any mistakes.

Oh, and speaking of Time Trials - here is a pre-release humblebrag:

image.thumb.png.163cc7a4c41ab6a2f533c2fb0b9b9228.png

23 minutes ago, Popo said:

Now go again, faster, on MT. :)

I'll need to try more MT, but there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage to MT in this as far as I can tell at the moment. The cars have 5-6 gears and drifting seems to be solely reliant on dabbing the brakes.

This sounds like much more of  a drifting game and a track combat game than what I hoped it would be. I was hoping for something like Virtua Racing - more about technical racing, but still arcadey. May still buy it, but not so sure after reviews.